• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEOs Get To Carry Guns, Because ....

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Brilliant, just brilliant. Luckily it was found by a responsible citizen. Things could have gone much worse.

USNA69

Actually they get to carry firearms because We the People have determined that that is our preference they do this. They carry at our pleasure and with our permission in order to carry out their duties as law enforcement officers.

Not sure that you caught the irony of my comment.
For the record, I wrote it with my tongue firmly implanted in my cheek.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Brilliant, just brilliant. Luckily it was found by a responsible citizen. Things could have gone much worse.

Yeah....some people would have said "Look, someone threw away a perfectly good parts gun":uhoh:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
LEOs get to carry guns because...government always gives itself lotsa force in relation to the people. Always.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I once worked with a Deputy who did the same thing in a courthouse bathroom.....rolled her whole gun belt up and put it in the sink, while she went into a stall......

yeah, I worked with some real winners.

Years ago -

Roanoke City cop comes in to a fast food joint in Botetourt County (just over the line) and asks the manager to hold his gun belt while he visits the restroom. Unknow to the cop the entire day crew there were prison inmates on the work release program (work during the day, back to prison at night). The hemming and hawing that went on by the manager to not let the cop know the status of the crew was epic, as was the insistance by the cop, in spite of repeated refusals, that the manager must hold his gun belt because it would be "unsafe" to just hang it on the hook inside the stall door.

I was sitting there watching the whole thing. (Meeting with one of the work release inmates trying to resolve a grievance complaint he had filed.)

No, I did not say anything to the cop.

Fortunately, the work release supervisor happened by to check on the crew. The expression on the cop's face, when he learned he was trying to give a prison inmate his gun, was priceless. (I later heard "the word" went out both among Roanoke City PD and Botetourt County SD that the place was staffed with inmates, and that business increased by some significant percentage due to them all stopping by to check up on those dangerous prisoners.)

Yes, the ranks of law enforcement are filled with idjits. Maybe not any more so than any other profession, but when we hear about their oh-sh!t moments it is usually more significant than all the other professions.

stay safe.

Red Dawg

What really bothers me is the way the local news reported it. Like it was some terrible thing that a nasty gun was found in a stall. They made it out as a terrorist plot or something. As soon as it aired I knew it was a gun guy trying on clothes..Didn't figure it to be LEO. Kinda funny. Stuupid head..

OC for ME

Glockster

He should be at minimum fired.

As it was reported, he "realized as soon as he went back home that he had left the gun" which certainly seems to suggest that he has zero situational awareness. If he's gotten to that point in his career where he is no longer aware that he has a gun with him or not -- thinking of that ride home, seatbelt on (I'm sure)....as we all have certainly "felt" our own weapon there in a car seat, with a seatbelt on -- he clearly isn't capable of paying enough attention to his surroundings if he's not even noticing that he's no longer in possession of his weapon. IMHO, he is a detriment to a safe community. Worse case is that as pointed out above, he could well have enabled one of the many bad guys in that area by providing a gun that doesn't trace to the bad guy.

And the article stated that he immediately notified the store and officials. I bet it was in fact in that order as well....as in, Q: "Hi, I'm just checking to see if y'all found a gun there in one of your dressing rooms?" A: "Dunno, let me check. BRB. Yeah, looks like we have one, is it yours?" And then, and only then, was when he notified his superiors. I can't help but wonder what would have happened had the store not found it, and what he would have reported and when.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Yes, the ranks of law enforcement are filled with idjits. Maybe not any more so than any other profession, but when we hear about their oh-sh!t moments it is usually more significant than all the other professions.

stay safe.

I'm going to one up you.....

A local police captain went into a stall in police headquarters. He decided to hang his Glock on the hook on the stall door....yes, hung the Glock by the trigger guard. He went to leave and tried to retrieve his gun. The hook hit the trigger and fired a shot into the ceiling. Apparently, the bullet went through the ceiling of the bathroom, exited the floor above, and then struck the ceiling of the above floor.....knocking some ceiling tiles and brackets down on a secretary who then was hauled out on a stretcher and into an ambulance.

Marco

I'm going to one up you.....

A local police captain went into a stall in police headquarters. He decided to hang his Glock on the hook on the stall door....yes, hung the Glock by the trigger guard. He went to leave and tried to retrieve his gun. The hook hit the trigger and fired a shot into the ceiling. Apparently, the bullet went through the ceiling of the bathroom, exited the floor above, and then struck the ceiling of the above floor.....knocking some ceiling tiles and brackets down on a secretary who then was hauled out on a stretcher and into an ambulance.
Oh, I got that beat.

And here's an incident I personally witnessed:
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2003...-hotel-cooler/
An FBI agent who fired two rounds into a walk-in cooler at a Strip hotel.
Agent John Hanson III, who was in Las Vegas to attend an accounting seminar, was caught on surveillance cameras firing his .45-caliber handgun (Glock 21) into the walk-in cooler. Hanson has been an instructor at the FBI training academy in Quantico, Va.

Last edited:

Ken56

Lapeer Michigan, retired LEO hired as an armed school liazon officer left his gun in the school rest room. The news reported that the gun was not loaded. lol. Why would a retired LEO carry an unloaded pistol? Me thinks someone is not being truthful here. Oh, hes still working there too.