• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Esquire sissy wets his pants over Dude carrying at Sunday Brunch, Eastern Shore

Repeater

Herschel psychoanalyzes (Robert Bateman, Guns And Feelings):

The NRA Molon Labe Redux
I was sitting in a casual seafood restaurant on the Eastern Shore of Virginia not long ago. It is a place well known for the quality of their crab and inshore fish. It was early on a quiet Sunday morning.

As we ate, looking over the beautiful waters at the Island House Restaurant in Wachapreague, I noticed over my wife’s shoulder the large man sitting in the table next to ours. It is not all that often that I notice people significantly larger than I am, but this guy qualified enough so that one could not help but look when he got up a few feet away. Going I know not where, I also noticed something else, the obvious presence of a concealed weapon at his hip, nominally, loosely “concealed” beneath his oversized T-shirt.

Really? A gun, at Sunday Brunch?

I came to realize how absolutely delusional the fellow must be. What kind of idiot carries a gun in a family restaurant for family brunch? Well, that would be one of the folks influenced by the NRA-approved “Molon Labe” movement.

The dude sort of confirmed that when I noticed, a few minutes after he returned to his table, that he had the word “Molon” on his left forearm and “Labe” on his right forearm, tattooed in 2-inch letters. Or maybe it was just a Sharpie drawing he renewed periodically, I could not really tell. But either way, it was pretty obvious.

“Molon Labe” what? "What the heck is that?” you might rightly ask. I mean, that is not even English. Is it some kind of foreign terrorist organization?

Well, sort of. It is the de facto motto of those people who are absolutely paranoid about how any possible changes to America’s gun culture, which wounds or kills in excess of 110,000 Americans per year lately, might be enacted by the majority of Americans. And folks, let me issue a RED Irony Alert. Yep, this is full blown actual irony, not the Alanis Morissette version. The Molon Labe folks are perhaps the most historically ignorant people in all of American History, and that is saying quite a lot.

The Truth

What an uneducated imbecile. Don't like it, GTFO of Virginia or choose to patronize a business which is not supportive of the Constitution!

SIC SEMPER EVELLO MORTEM TYRANNIS!

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
"Really a gun at Sunday brunch?"

Yes, at Sunday brunch and all other meals of the week and at nearly every other occurrence in life too, since those who harm people don't give a wit about the time or location any more than they care about harming others.

My question to him would be "Why do you care so little for your ability to respond to a threat to yourself or those around you that you aren't armed as well?"

Last edited:

mynameiscolb

Welcome to OCDO. Suzanna Gratia Hupp was a gun rights acquaintance at the 2002 Great Grass Roots Gun Rights Gathering where she spoke and with Ken Blanchard, The Black Avenger, and David Mustard.

http://www.scfirearms.org/TheDefender/Defender2002November.pdf
Thanks! And I've read a bit about Hupp. I forgot to mention that my comment was directed at Bateman's article.

As for the Luby's shooting, it took place just after 12pm on a Wednesday. It's a horrible story, but it just shows that bad guys can show up anywhere at any time. Kudos to the man conceal carrying to brunch!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Carry or perhaps die wishing you had.

I am a peace loving man, until you try to harm me or mine - then you bring on yourself the wrath of pure hell.

Baked on Grease

I like how he says we need to be educated but refuses to learn the history of Molon Labe amd what it really means.

I guess that's typical though.

The Truth

One could venture to say that the Luby's shooting was a result of the failed war on drugs, among other things.

HPmatt

want to say Lubys was from a nut that was anti-social. dont remember him being a druggie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Truth

want to say Lubys was from a nut that was anti-social. dont remember him being a druggie

He was definitely a nut, but he was ex-military and it could be argued that marijuana possession charges effectively ruined his career with the Merchant Marines, and likely lead to some serious effects on his phsyche that likely contributed to his mental instability at the time of the shooting. His termination was also likely one of the roots of his hatred for women, which undoubtedly was one of the causes of his mental instability.

HPmatt

Not familiar w Island House restaurant - must have missed it this summer - drove all the way up to MD state line then back to Norfolk. Did enjoy the shrimp and crab cakes at the Machipongo Clam Shack. No one seemed to mind OC on that trip.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
With people like this, you almost quietly hope that one day they suddenly come face to face with evil. An extreme encounter that while doesn't injury or kill them, leaves them shaken to their core and wishing they had the means to protect themselves. A true epiphany of sorts... call it reality bites.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
With people like this, you almost quietly hope that one day they suddenly come face to face with evil. An extreme encounter that while doesn't injury or kill them, leaves them shaken to their core and wishing they had the means to protect themselves. A true epiphany of sorts... call it reality bites.
Pain is a message delivered by Mother Nature.

http://www.gifbin.com/986455

Maverick9

No you don't. We are the rational, the calm, the self-controlled who wish no one undue harm, and will sometimes find a way to protect the innocent.

THEY are the out-of-control, rage-o-holics who want OC-ers to be shot by LE summoned with a bogus 911 call. Don't take the bait.

He's at most, a big mouth, somewhere south of Rosie O'Donnell.

(ETA: Pics or it didn't happen. I get the feeling after a quick scan, he made up this whole thing. If he's a reporter, or interviewer, why didn't he interview this guy for his article. AND, he ) Bateman) could probably be sued if this guy recognizes himself happening to read the article. Maybe he will.)

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
No you don't. We are the rational, the calm, the self-controlled who wish no one undue harm, and will sometimes find a way to protect the innocent.

THEY are the out-of-control, rage-o-holics who want OC-ers to be shot by LE summoned with a bogus 911 call. Don't take the bait.

He's at most, a big mouth, somewhere south of Rosie O'Donnell.

(ETA: Pics or it didn't happen. I get the feeling after a quick scan, he made up this whole thing. If he's a reporter, or interviewer, why didn't he interview this guy for his article. AND, he ) Bateman) could probably be sued if this guy recognizes himself happening to read the article. Maybe he will.)

I didn't wish for them to be harmed... just shaken to their core. Have the daylights scared out of them and hopefully bring them back to reality.