• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wells Fargo banker makes up a law (AUDIO)

rickyray9

I had no issues going to the teller, asking for a notary, and meeting with a banker to have my item notarized, but on my way out, I was confronted by a young lad of 19-20 by the name of Abel who "informed" me that there is a federal law saying that you can't carry in banks. After correcting him and leaving (but not before receiving a pleasant greeting from a customer) I called his manager, Angela, who attempted to defend her employee's actions by stating the business has a right to refuse service to anyone. I told her that i took issue not with being told that I couldn't carry in there, but rather being told that there was a federal law against me being there under those conditions, and suggested that her employees not give legal advice pertaining to laws that don't exist. She then apologized for her employees actions and welcomed me to come back to the branch any time.
[video=youtube_share;Y-MNpUWL5fU]http://youtu.be/Y-MNpUWL5fU[/video]

twoskinsonemanns

Nice job mate. Thanks for the post. It's a reminder that everyone plugged into the matrix is a potential agent.
Funny but not.

rickyray9

I sent the following email to WF senior executive VP and general counsel James Strother explaining what happened. I'm awaiting a response... It'll be interesting to hear how a lawyer out of San Francisco responds.

Mr. Strother,

My name is Richard XXXXXX and I have been a Wells Fargo customer for 10 years. I am a checking, credit, and mortgage customer who is very loyal to Wells Fargo for my banking needs.

I reside in Nevada which is a state that doesn't prohibit the open carrying of firearms. As such, I carry my firearm openly and secured pretty much wherever I go, including the bank when I need to do business in person.

Today, at the branch at 220 Lemmon Dr. Reno, NV 89506, I had just finished getting some items notarized and was walking out of the store when I was approached by an employee who identified himself as "Abel." Being in a public place, I began audio recording the brief conversation that followed for my legal protection which i have attached. In this conversation, you can hear him fabricate a federal law stating that it is illegal to carry a firearm into any bank. You and I both know that this is not true, but I feel it is important for the general counsel of a company to know when an employee takes it upon himself to interpret, or in this case, fabricate federal law.

We all have our own opinions on firearm regulation, but please make sure that this employee doesn't take any more legal liberties like this. It's embarrassing to the company and only serves to drive away customers and put employees in complicated legal situations.

Thank you for your time in this matter.

Sincerely,

Richard XXXXXX

Vegassteve

I had a almost identical experience at wells a few years ago. There is a thread on here someplace. It got corrected and hasn't been a issue since.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Wow. Excellently handled at the time, and with an excellent follow-up letter. You are one of the reasons what few problems we run across in Nevada are dealt with quickly and professionally.

Rusty Young Man

"I think..." - "Abel" Oh, how I fear for my generation.:(

Well done rickyray9. Like you, I don't necessarily take it personally if I am asked to leave someone's private property, I just don't appreciate someone trying to fabricate law on the spot as a cop-out for their illogical fears.:D
Please let us know how this unfolds.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Is it Wells Fargo policy that an employee that's not even the manager should CONFRONT an armed person in the bank? I think Abel is on a bit of a power trip.

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
A long time ago I open carried in that same bank branch. Actually multiple times. One time though, the (male) manager noticed me and then told me he didn't want me to carry my gun near the tellers because he thought it would scare them, but offered to store my gun for me in his office until I was done. He probably a doesn't work there now though, that was between 4 and 7 years ago.

When she welcomed you to come back, did she mean unarmed only?

Last edited:

HPmatt

Isn't Wells Fargo the bank that drove gold around the country in stagecoaches with guys OCing 'coach guns' to protect the money? And they now have an employee following in their foot steps telling 'a customer' they can't do the same?

Wells Fargo has always been the most profitable of all US banks and are known as the 'bandit bank' for all the fees they sneak on you, and always cross-sell additional products and services.

One of my favorites quotes is from their CEO John Stumpf - "I don't know why the banks had to find new ways to lose money when the old ones were working so well."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickyray9

Nice job mate. Thanks for the post. It's a reminder that everyone plugged into the matrix is a potential agent.
Funny but not.
thanks! It's so true
I had a almost identical experience at wells a few years ago. There is a thread on here someplace. It got corrected and hasn't been a issue since.
Oh interesting, was it a young person too who misinformed you?
Wow. Excellently handled at the time, and with an excellent follow-up letter. You are one of the reasons what few problems we run across in Nevada are dealt with quickly and professionally.
thank you, with all you've contributed to the cause it means a lot to hear that
"I think..." - "Abel" Oh, how I fear for my generation.:(

Well done rickyray9. Like you, I don't necessarily take it personally if I am asked to leave someone's private property, I just don't appreciate someone trying to fabricate law on the spot as a cop-out for their illogical fears.:D
Please let us know how this unfolds.
Thank you, I will post if I get a response from WF.
Is it Wells Fargo policy that an employee that's not even the manager should CONFRONT an armed person in the bank? I think Abel is on a bit of a power trip.
It should certainly be the policy. If he were ever the subject of a hold-up, I wonder if he'd have the balls to tell the robber that it's illegal to have a gun in there and he'd have to come back and rob it without one.
A long time ago I open carried in that same bank branch. Actually multiple times. One time though, the (male) manager noticed me and then told me he didn't want me to carry my gun near the tellers because he thought it would scare them, but offered to store my gun for me in his office until I was done. He probably a doesn't work there now though, that was between 4 and 7 years ago.

When she welcomed you to come back, did she mean unarmed only?
Yeah, the guy who confronted me looks like he would have been in middle or high school 4-7 years ago. It's surprising to get confronted like that in Lemmon Valley because it's such a conservative area.
Isn't Wells Fargo the bank that drove gold around the country in stagecoaches with guys OCing 'coach guns' to protect the money? And they now have an employee following in their foot steps telling 'a customer' they can't do the same?

Wells Fargo has always been the most profitable of all US banks and are known as the 'bandit bank' for all the fees they sneak on you, and always cross-sell additional products and services.

One of my favorites quotes is from their CEO John Stumpf - "I don't know why the banks had to find new ways to lose money when the old ones were working so well."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe their San Francisco headquarters rubbed off on them over the years? Yeah, they do rob you unless you have direct deposit and a mortgage with them, but then they have their claws in you forever once that happens.

ed2276

I have OCd inside a couple of WF branches here in Las Vegas (Summerlin and Centennial Hills) numerous times to conduct business (both at the teller windows and with bankers for notary services). I have yet to have either an employee or security raise an issue about it. I suspect that in the OP case it was just a wanna-be cop ruffling his feathers.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Most know that I tend to side with the private property trumps individuals rights to distort the original intent of the property owner. However it appears that Nevada law is clear. Trespassing someone because you do not want them on your property is one thing. Telling them they cannot have a lawfully carried firearm is another.

NRS 207.190  Coercion.

1.  It is unlawful for a person, with the intent to compel another to do or abstain from doing an act which the other person has a right to do or abstain from doing, to:

(a) Use violence or inflict injury upon the other person or any of the other person’s family, or upon the other person’s property, or threaten such violence or injury;

(b) Deprive the person of any tool, implement or clothing, or hinder the person in the use thereof; or

(c) Attempt to intimidate the person by threats or force.

2.  A person who violates the provisions of subsection 1 shall be punished:

(a) Where physical force or the immediate threat of physical force is used, for a category B felony by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 6 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $5,000.

(b) Where no physical force or immediate threat of physical force is used, for a misdemeanor.

[1911 C&P § 475; RL § 6740; NCL § 10424]—(NRS A 1967, 522; 1979, 1455; 1995, 1239)​

I can see where suing the right offender could benefit our cause, In a civil suit, the first hurdle to overcome is harm... Having to shop at another venue does not rise to the threshold, but it is possible that true harm could occur so i thought I would put it out there.

MKEgal

I opened my WF account while OC, with a check I got for a legal settlement from my city because their employees (LEO) behaved badly to me.
I regularly go into branches around the city while OC (and cc).
Never had any problem with anyone.

The only time I even brought it up to an employee, I'd gone in for something I thought would be pretty quick, so I didn't take off my winter outdoor clothes (other than the hat). But since it took much longer than expected, while I was sitting at the CSR's desk I asked if she minded if I took off my coats because I was getting too warm. I explained I was armed & didn't want to startle her. She was perfectly cool with it. Seemed like she had the general attitude that LACs are a good thing.

ed2276

Most know that I tend to side with the private property trumps individuals rights to distort the original intent of the property owner. However it appears that Nevada law is clear. Trespassing someone because you do not want them on your property is one thing. Telling them they cannot have a lawfully carried firearm is another.

NRS 207.190  Coercion.

1.  It is unlawful for a person, with the intent to compel another to do or abstain from doing an act which the other person has a right to do or abstain from doing, to:

(a) Use violence or inflict injury upon the other person or any of the other person’s family, or upon the other person’s property, or threaten such violence or injury;

(b) Deprive the person of any tool, implement or clothing, or hinder the person in the use thereof; or

(c) Attempt to intimidate the person by threats or force.

2.  A person who violates the provisions of subsection 1 shall be punished:

(a) Where physical force or the immediate threat of physical force is used, for a category B felony by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 6 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $5,000.

(b) Where no physical force or immediate threat of physical force is used, for a misdemeanor.

[1911 C&P § 475; RL § 6740; NCL § 10424]—(NRS A 1967, 522; 1979, 1455; 1995, 1239)

Ohhhhh, I like this law!! Does it apply as to police officers' actions towards others, as well? Or, are they given immunity from prosecution under this one?

Last edited:

Kopis

It should certainly be the policy. If he were ever the subject of a hold-up, I wonder if he'd have the balls to tell the robber that it's illegal to have a gun in there and he'd have to come back and rob it without one.

^ This is my whole issue with "no firearms" signs/policies. Does anyone in the right mind actually think a criminal who is committing a crime by robbing your store is going to return to their stolen getaway car, store their firearm and get the machete out of the trunk, then rob you with it?

rickyray9

Just got off the phone with Lucy Gallego <sp?> with Corporate Security for Wells Fargo Bank of Nevada down in Las Vegas. She got the email forwarded to her and she called to assure me that Wells Fargo has no policy whatsoever on the carrying of firearms in Nevada branches, and that the regional manager for Northern Nevada will be talking to all the managers in the area to inform them about Nevadans' rights to Open Carry. The employee in question has also had counseling regarding open carrying in Nevada.
A winning clarification for Nevada Open Carry today. I'm happy to recommend Wells Fargo Bank to all those Open Carriers who don't mind monthly service charges for checking accounts, or who have direct deposit or a WF mortgage to waive those charges.

ed2276

Just got off the phone with Lucy Gallego <sp?> with Corporate Security for Wells Fargo Bank of Nevada down in Las Vegas. She got the email forwarded to her and she called to assure me that Wells Fargo has no policy whatsoever on the carrying of firearms in Nevada branches, and that the regional manager for Northern Nevada will be talking to all the managers in the area to inform them about Nevadans' rights to Open Carry. The employee in question has also had counseling regarding open carrying in Nevada.
A winning clarification for Nevada Open Carry today. I'm happy to recommend Wells Fargo Bank to all those Open Carriers who don't mind monthly service charges for checking accounts, or who have direct deposit or a WF mortgage to waive those charges.

Well done, ricky!!!

chrsjhnsn

pleased to see another reno OC'er - so rare it seems to me

I used to OC all the time but not as much in Reno due to I was in a hurry to go shopping then back to Gerlach-
I live here now and only very rarely see OC.
However I have, 6 or 7 yrs ago - OC'd in the Wells Fargo on CA street/Arlington - they were very supportive of it - currently I do not have anything other then a poceket rocket and no retention holster for it so i ccw only until my next Glock 22 - which I OC/CC as I see fit
Thanks! btw - I have not been here in quite some time and am hoping to participate in Reno/sparks activities this summer