• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surry Saga (Skidmark) amended to 4/19/11 !!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We have good news and not quite so good news.

Earlier today the opposing attorneys appeared before the new judge to hear motions. Dan Hawes was well prepared and ready to go. Gerald Poindexter not so much - he needs more time to prepare.

Results: The obstruction charge has been dismissed with prejudice. :D

One down and one to go.

The trial date has been moved to June 21st to hear the brandishing charge.

For those not entirely up to speed on the background on all of this see the links to the prior threads below:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ry-Beware-the-Ides-of-March-3-15-2011-version

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83848-**-Legal-Defense-fund-for-Skidmark-**

NEWS FLASH -
Look for some very interesting pictures from Peter Naps tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mr H

We have good news and not quite so good news.

Earlier today the opposing attorneys appeared before the new judge. Dane Hawes was well prepared and ready to go. Mr Poyndexter not so much.

Let's hear it for a "speedy trial"????

There will be another donation forthcoming in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for the update. Hang in there, Skid, User, et al!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I really enjoy watching User in court. It reminds me of watching Muhammad Ali in his younger years.
This thing dragged for the better part of the day but when Dan finally got his say before the Judge, it was impressive.

The new Judge seems like a good one. He knows the law and when he's unsure, looks it up. The court was run like a real court this time.

We went to lunch at Surry House after court, had a great lunch (late) and one f the local lawyers that had cases in court, came in. Dan chatted with him for a while before we left. I went back in to dump some trash and talked to him for a while about Poindexter.

For the most part, he laughed and took the 5th.

I'm going to put up a clip of "The Surry Side of the River" as soon as I make a few changes. Things are still tricky about what goes up and what doesn't but this should be interesting.

I also spent a couple of hours talking to some of the locals. To be honest, it took me on a related but different track and right now I'm not sure whether I should pursue it for this Doc or save it for another day.

This thing already has enough heads.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Think this is just the beginning of many good things to come.

While it is a bit early to announce plans, we will be looking for an impressive turn out in Surry on June 21st - which btw will be the last official day of Spring.

May the sun shine brightly on Skid and may the road be gentle and smooth - either way, the mezzo soprano has not sung yetand there is still a lot of back stage work to be polished up. This whole thing gets more and more convoluted.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape, let us know if additional "support" is needed.

I will do that - going to talk to Skid and Dan to get a status update to that regard.

Plan ahead to maybe take a day of vacation June 21st - this going to be an event you don't want to miss.

Blk97F150

Awesome. So the March 15 date is no more... and everything will happen on June 21? Just trying to line up days off...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Does this mean another caption contest???!!!!! :banana:

(The "boring stuff" comment is entirely tongue-in-cheek)

Not on this one but....I videoed one yesterday that <Sigh> I'm sure you'll have fun with.:lol:

Although, there will be one picture in this clip that is very serious (Not of me) that I will ask you not to caption. I may blur the face until the final Doc has cleared all the hurdles.

AbNo

Wait, so now he's down to just the brandishing charge?

You know, the one "brandishing" they had on tape, and decided to record over in a hurr durr moment? (more likely a CYA moment...)

Looking good to me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

You know, the one "brandishing" they had on tape, and decided to record over in a hurr durr moment? (more likely a CYA moment...)

Looking good to me.

It would have been "just" if both charges had been dismissed.

We will be planning a return trip to Surry to clearly communicate our solidarity and support - details later - the 21st of June is still 4 months away.

2a4all

Looking good to me.

That the brandishing charge survived motions to dismiss is a bit troubling. Apparently, there's enough to establish that the security supervisor's concerns about being spoken to sternly (feeling threatened?) by a MWAG are credible. This seems to lower the threshold that could get an irate OCer in trouble, leaving the issue of "I wasn't trying to scare him, just trying to make my point." as a matter of intent.