• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camping in Oregon @ a Federal not State camp ground.

VW_Factor

From what I am able to put together from the laws in these parts, and the recent change in fed law.

Sounds like we are good to go unless we enter into "buildings" in the park..

Does this sound about right to everyone?

I ask because we are booking our spot, and it seems that all the State Parks all full up on trailer spots, and a Fed Park has openings..

OldCurlyWolf

From what I am able to put together from the laws in these parts, and the recent change in fed law.

Sounds like we are good to go unless we enter into "buildings" in the park..

Does this sound about right to everyone?

I ask because we are booking our spot, and it seems that all the State Parks all full up on trailer spots, and a Fed Park has openings..

Only if it is in the National Park system. BLM, Corp of Engineers and Bureau of Reclamation have different rules. You better be sure of who controls/manages the property.

hermannr

I know the Corps has different rules (that are in process of being changed) but BLM is no problem. NP, NF, and BLM land are state Law.

BTW: The "buildings" you may (or may not) have problems with are ones that NP service personnel work in, not outhouses etc.

KBCraig

USFS (National Forest) assimilates state laws, but the "Federal facilities" ban applies in any building where federal employees regularly work. As already said, outhouses, bath houses, etc., aren't included.

Caveat: USFS rules (rules, not "laws") do ban loaded firearms in occupied campsites. I've never heard of it being enforced, and I've ignored it for 40 years, camping in USFS campgrounds since I was a kid. I've been persuaded out of the tent more than once by a terrified city-girl wife to do a sweep for "BEARS OUTSIDE!" for everything from armadillos and raccoons, to deer crossing the creek (hooves on creek rocks and the subtly changing gurgle of water are the most pleasant way to wake up in the middle of the night, ever!), to actual bears. Okay, 250 pound Arkansas black bears, and our food was bear-safe, and the bears hauled ass....

USFS Rangers are more worried about you drinking beer, than having guns.

MKEgal

I was thinking of posting a separate thread, but mine fits in well w/ this one...
Poke holes in this reasoning, please:

Even if a park has rules (or even if there's a law) saying you can't have a gun (working, loaded, accessable, etc.) in the park, once you're in your tent or camper you're in your home.
It's just as much protected by the 4A as a hotel room would be.

So if I wanted to have an unloaded encased pistol (as I'd have to for now in WI) in the car, then carry it w/ other stuff into my tent, once I'm inside I can load it & do pretty much anything except shoot it & no gov't official can say a thing about it.

(Current WI law requires unloaded encased car carry, & U/E in a state park.)

hermannr

Out here (ID, OR, WA and I'm sure others) I have never heard of a "no firearms" rule in a NF campground...how could they? In the fall at least, all the campers are hunters, and they are all armed. (Sept until the campgrounds are closed for snow)

Before the federal law changed, no loaded firearms in the NP, still no discharge in the NP, But BLM and NF??? not that I have ever seen.