• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Take Back Independence Day

eye95

Um...no.

I am going to celebrate the founding of this great Nation with lots of red, white, and blue, also some Baseball, a hot dog, an apple pie, and a Nissan. God Bless Liberty, including free enterprise.

Oh, and some fireworks after the Biscuits game, sponsored by Max, "your community credit union."

Happy Birthday, Liberty!

cyras21

Um...no.

I am going to celebrate the founding of this great Nation with lots of red, white, and blue, also some Baseball, a hot dog, an apple pie, and a Nissan. God Bless Liberty, including free enterprise.

Oh, and some fireworks after the Biscuits game, sponsored by Max, "your community credit union."

Happy Birthday, Liberty!

What liberty? Our democracy is a facade! We are a police state! What are you going to celebrate, liberation from the British?

eye95

We are not a democracy and never were. Democracy is actually antithetical to Liberty.

That would be a good place for you to start: learning the difference between a republic and a democracy.

cyras21

We are not a democracy and never were. Democracy is actually antithetical to Liberty.

That would be a good place for you to start: learning the difference between a republic and a democracy.

always so condescending in your replies...no wonder I see so many posts portraying dislike towards you. Anyways...enjoy your celebration!

cyras21

Oh...and for everyone else, I'm not making any money off the t-shirt...just a design I created for myself and thought I'd share.

Kirbinator

There was a nice, well meaning gentleman from Alabama who attempted to do so. He OC'd an AK-47 and a Glock 17. He was arrested for disorderly conduct, and found guilty of DC by a judge who misapplied the statue.

since9

Campaign Veteran
What liberty?

He said "Happy Liberty," with a capital "L." It's a way of referring to our country in general, as in "Lady Liberty."

As for the t-shirt, I have zero issues with the back design, but I'd have to wear the flag right-side up, as that's commensurate with U.S. Law governing the display and use of our flag.

The particular section governing the display of an inverted flag is Section 8(a): "The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

Even in support of your cause, I see no "dire distress" or "extreme danger to life or property." I think displaying our flag inverted on the front under the circumstances of protesting encroachments on our liberty would simply be disrespectful to our flag.

Last edited:

eye95

It is not a "euphemism." It is not a gentle way of referring to something distasteful.

While our system is not perfect and is not entirely as our Founders and Framers envisioned, our Nation is still a shining example of Liberty in action for the world to see. We should actively use the institutions set in place to protect and expand that Liberty, rather than imply that we have none.

Happy birthday, Liberty--our gift to the world.

since9

Campaign Veteran
http://www.local10.com/video/28151859/index.html

At 1:50 the cops take a News Camera and say " you're not getting it back".

!st Amendment. Take it back.

Excellent video, HandyHamlet!

However, while the First Amendment covers many forms of expression, the capture of other people's expression is usually covered under copyright and trademark law, as well as in local, state, and federal laws preventing recording in certain environments, among those, TSA security checkpoints. Try shutting down our eyes and ears as we go through those checkpoints, though... :shocker:

Having said that, I do believe anything done in full view of the public should be free to be recorded by any member of the public.

HandyHamlet

Excellent video, HandyHamlet!

However, while the First Amendment covers many forms of expression, the capture of other people's expression is usually covered under copyright and trademark law, as well as in local, state, and federal laws preventing recording in certain environments, among those, TSA security checkpoints.

You are mixing up a bunch of different things. You have no expectation of privacy when you are in public. It is perfectly legal to take anyone's picture if they are in public. Selling pictures of people is a completely different thing and requires a model release.

Having said that, I do believe anything done in full view of the public should be free to be recorded by any member of the public.

It is. It is legal to take pictures of anything you can see with your eyes in public from a public place. However there are a very limited number of places where photography is prohibited. Like inside some court houses/court rooms, TSA Security check points as you said... Military Bases have restricted areas obviously.

Otherwise, photography IS protected by the 1st Amendment and is not a crime.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I take it you've never been in an actual "police state". I have. This ain't it.

Oh? So, we have to wait until we achieve an actual Khymer Cambodia, Soviet Union, or Saudi Arabia before we can use the term?

A news article or op ed I read recently pointed out there is little enough difference between a government that forbids something, and a government that makes regulations knowing those regulations will drive out of business what the government wants gone.

Seen those videos lately of cops arresting people who video'd them? Sounds like we're well on our way to a secret police to me--the cops wanta operate in secret with little accountability. How about that one where the only reason we got the video was the guy hid the chip or card from his cop-smashed phone in his mouth throughout his arrest and booking? This cop-on-private-videographer business is too frequent to be "an isolated incident."

Personally, when the fedgov, in collusion with the Federal Reserve and the banksters, can wreck the entire economy, putting 10% of people out of work, and lord knows how many people out of their homes, and drive the national debt to the moon (a huge tax liability), I call that repression. Its a different repression. Its creative. Its hidden. And, its suppressive.

This list of government abuses goes on and on and on. Today I was reading how the FDA forbade in-home AIDS tests. Op ed written by a guy who first tried to get such off the ground in the (1987?). Just when I thought I'd finally got a grip on the extent of the soft tyranny, I find out the fegov has had policies in place that have helped with the spread of the AIDS virus.

I think maybe we've been ommitting to celebrate an important day. Its not the revolution that's important; its what you do with it that counts. We should be celebrating the Bill of Rights, too. A July 4th celebration that includes a complete reading of the Declaration of Independence, as well as the fireworks. And, then a blow-out celebration of the Bill of Rights on December 15th.

eye95

I take it you've never been in an actual "police state". I have. This ain't it.

There are a lot of posters here who use a lot of hyperbolic terms to describe troubling trends. They don't know that, by their overusing such inappropriately strong terms, they are causing folks that we could win over to help change these trends to just shake their heads and move on.

Excessive hyperbole gives our movement a "wacko" overtone, like we are reacting emotionally, instead of projecting the rationality that has marked our successes.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Excessive hyperbole gives our movement a "wacko" overtone, like we are reacting emotionally, instead of projecting the rationality that has marked our successes.

Oh? Like this poster from another thread?

I think that not asking to be able to maintain the plausible deniability that claiming not to have seen the sign would permit is despicable.

I won't ignore the rights of the property-owner and hide behind the subterfuge of I-didn't-see-the-sign. That is morally reprehensible.

Post #7: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...orate-Policy-is-No-Guns&p=1552088#post1552088

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
There are a lot of posters here who use a lot of hyperbolic terms to describe troubling trends. They don't know that, by their overusing such inappropriately strong terms, they are causing folks that we could win over to help change these trends to just shake their heads and move on.

Excessive hyperbole gives our movement a "wacko" overtone, like we are reacting emotionally, instead of projecting the rationality that has marked our successes.

Overusing? Inappropriately strong terms? Who defines "overuse" and "inappropriately strong"?

What if the fella using the term has read up on the subject more deeply? Has more familiarity with the scene?

Wacko overtone? (Really? Whacko?) (Boy, talk about hyperbole. Sheesh.) All it can do is give the viewer who may not have the backround to grasp the writer's perspective the idea that there is one whacko in that thread. If that reader adds any "overtone"--attributes more whackos than countable--its that reader's own reaction, not rational thought.

So, qwitcherbitchin. I'm not going to spend two hours listing examples of how this country is becoming a police state, or has already become one, before I use the term, just to avoid "giving a whacko overtone". Other readers can do just what I had to do when I encountered information that bent my sense of reality--live with it until I could figure out what the writer was talking about or grasp his perspective.

Moving on.