• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

police shoot man in bed...

SeattleWingsfan

I don't know how I missed this. Why are they trained that their safety is of utmost importance, yet citizens are time and time again questioned and put on trial, even sometimes when they haven't even taken someone's life. Their life is no more important than the guy that was posing no threat sleeping til they barged in.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/130379.html

compmanio365

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not. I also just don't understand how a guy can get shot 16 times and live to tell about it. Here's hoping the poor victim sues the hell out of KCSO and wins big, big money for his pain and suffering from these thugs in uniform.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Now I gotta sleep with body armor on?

Apparently.

Will he win officer of the year?

Corrections Officer Kris Rongen Receives Officer of the Month Award

Auburn, Washington resident Dustin Theoharis was asleep in his bed on February 11, 2012 when two armed strangers entered his room and started to give him orders. Understandably startled, Theoharis reached for a flashlight. This prompted the two intruders to open fire. Theoharis – who was still in bed -- was shot sixteen times, but survived.

The assailants who shot Theoharis were Detective Aaron Thompson of the King County Sheriff’s Office and Corrections Officer Kris Rongen. They had arrested Theoharis’s roommate, Nicholas Harrison, an ex-convict who had failed to report for community supervision. The officers were searching his bedroom to find if Theoharis had a gun, which would have allowed them to charge Harrison with a parole violation. They had no warrant or probable cause, and no gun was found. Since Harrison was already in custody at the time of the incident, there was no need to conduct a “safety sweep” of the residence.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Will Griggs, the author quoted in the Lew Rockwell piece, does a pretty darn good job of highlighting police abuse.

Radley Balko at TheAgitator(dot)com keeps track of this stuff, too. As well as SWAT raids, and prosecutorial immunity issues.

I find it too typical that the cops did not apply AOJ and just up and shot the guy. The lie about four guns tells the tale. And, the lack of PC to search that bedroom in the first place is a real problem.

Even a half-*ssed review reveals that too many cops create the circumstances for this sort of thing to happen. I suspect its more than just "officer safety is paramount." I suspect its arrogance on two points:

1. We can push the envelope, and find an exploit loopholes in 4A case law because, well, because we can and nobody can really stop us.

2. We're the law and you dear citizen had better follow our orders.

Then there's a situation where I think some cops run on a hair-trigger from scaring themselves silly with a steady diet of how this cop or that cop got shot because he let his guard down.

Actually, the "officer safety is paramount" is too often a red-herring to cover up the policies and procedures that set up the circumstances for this sort of shooting.

sudden valley gunner

Will Griggs, the author quoted in the Lew Rockwell piece, does a pretty darn good job of highlighting police abuse.

Radley Balko at TheAgitator(dot)com keeps track of this stuff, too. As well as SWAT raids, and prosecutorial immunity issues.

I find it too typical that the cops did not apply AOJ and just up and shot the guy. The lie about four guns tells the tale. And, the lack of PC to search that bedroom in the first place is a real problem.

Even a half-*ssed review reveals that too many cops create the circumstances for this sort of thing to happen. I suspect its more than just "officer safety is paramount." I suspect its arrogance on two points:

1. We can push the envelope, and find an exploit loopholes in 4A case law because, well, because we can and nobody can really stop us.

2. We're the law and you dear citizen had better follow our orders.

Then there's a situation where I think some cops run on a hair-trigger from scaring themselves silly with a steady diet of how this cop or that cop got shot because he let his guard down.

Actually, the "officer safety is paramount" is too often a red-herring to cover up the policies and procedures that set up the circumstances for this sort of shooting.

Griggs is great, and Cato puts out the website policemisconduct.com, it's amazing how many things happen locally you don't hear about in the news. Washington state is the worse state in the Union for their lack of prosecuting cops.

If you don't trust contractors you do what you can to protect yourself from them as you should.

Yet when we urge people to do what they can to protect yourself from cops..............

Bitter End

Barney Fife: He's asleep and won't respond to my commands! How dare he question my authority!

Rosco P Coltrane: Hey sleeping dude! Do you have any weapons?

Dustin: Huh... what for?

Barney Fife: He said four! He's rolling over to see who is violating his rights! SHOOT before we have to explain!

Dustin’s room was about 10'x10'. The assassins both emptied their magazines at less than a 5' engagement into a sleeping man.

He suffered fractured bones and one nifty little placed head shot into the face.

Yet here we are with a justified shooting...

PFC HALE

if they are so worried about officer safety then they are in the wrong job. screw em

CCinMaine

You know if this guy did grab a gun and gun down one, both, or even shoot at these two dark figures and he survived he would be be charged and convicted already. What ever happened to being innocent until proven guilty?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
You know if this guy did grab a gun and gun down one, both, or even shoot at these two dark figures and he survived he would be be charged and convicted already. What ever happened to being innocent until proven guilty?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The man has been guilty before.

1Theoharis, Dustin
DEFENDANT
Pierce Co Superior09-2-08071-804-21-2009
2Theoharis, Dustin T
Defendant
Pierce Co DistrictXY704690C04-01-2010
3Theoharis, Dustin Thomas
Defendant
Milton MunicipalXY041333508-19-2010
4Theoharis, Dustin Thomas
Defendant
King County DistrictI0637451803-04-2011
5Theoharis, Dustin Thomas
Juvenile Respondent
King Co Superior Ct00-8-05686-111-22-2000
6Theoharis, Dustin Thomas
Defendant
Tacoma MunicipalIN000644005-19-2011
7Theoharis, Dustin Thomas
Defendant
Milton MunicipalXY041333108-19-2010
8Theoharis, Dustin Thomas
Defendant
Fife Municipal1Z064735901-03-2012
9Theoharis, Dustin Thomas
Defendant
Milton MunicipalXY041333208-19-2010
10Theoharis, Dustin Thomas
Defendant
Puyallup Municipal2Z086728711-15-2012
11Theoharis, Dustin Thomas
Defendant
Fife Municipal1Z064735801-03-2012

nonameisgood

So f'n what? And how exactly do you have juvenile information and why do you feel free to post his record to a public website?

Talk about BS.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So f'n what? And how exactly do you have juvenile information and why do you feel free to post his record to a public website?

Talk about BS.

This is public information. http://dw.courts.wa.gov/index.cfm?fa=home.namesearch&terms=accept&flashform=0

Just enter the name and public records come up. The juvenile is theft II and thus not sealed. Others are trafic and others are felonies/misdemeanors.

I want violent criminals taken off the streets and put away, not 3 strikes, but 1 strike and your out. I want non violent "criminals" out of the prison system. The only way to prevent violent crime is to remove them from society by incarceration for life. Here is an example of 2 violent criminals that should of been in prison.

EMNofSeattle

My guess is with a jacket like what gogodawgs posted that the shootee was probably still on supervision for one of those offenses, which means parole can search him with no warrant. also the residence apparently belonged to his felon roommate who was definitely still under DOC supervision.

EMNofSeattle

A rifle was found in a locked gun case in the room next door.

Excellent, in a house occupied by two convicted felons, one of whom was still under DOC supervision... always nice

The King County Prosecutor decline to file criminal charges against either assailant, insisting that the shooting was justified because of a “perceived risk” to officer safety.

All police are taught to perceive all citizens as potential risks, and to put “officer safety” ahead of all other considerations. Does this mean they can shoot any of us at any time?

No, but if you're a serial felon with a convicted felon roommate under DOC supervision who possesses a firearm in violation of state and federal law that the corrections officer must've known about since a firearm was found, yeah I'd say that poses some definite risks to your health and well-being.

Parole has the right to search the residence of a convict who was released early under supervision. that is well established. if you don't want your stuff searched then you shouldn't live with convicted felons. it doesn't matter why they searched the place, they had every right to. good 'ol Theodore should've froze and stayed still, he knew exactly who was there barking orders at him...

Last edited:

Batousaii

I want violent criminals taken off the streets and put away, not 3 strikes, but 1 strike and your out. I want non violent "criminals" out of the prison system. The only way to prevent violent crime is to remove them from society by incarceration for life. Here is an example of 2 violent criminals that should of been in prison.

101% Agree --However, Due process please. I do not want them kicking in doors and executing at will because they dont like your record.
- If your did your time, then you should be finished and rights restored.
- If your a violent criminal, or one who habitually commits crimes against innocent people, then processed, courts etc. Then executed after a reasonably short time in prison, Maybe 6 months or a Year. just enough time to ensure no mistakes were made, and that justice was served honorably.
- I will also agree, they probably should have not been out of prison. I really didn't agree with the whole "let em out and try to supervise them" routine. Usually ends up bad. But again, i will return to proper process and incarceration. If they were violent, then they should have been either executed in prison after processing, or during the commission of their crime.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Things that are guns to the eyes of an LEO:

Flashlight
Phone
Wallet
Keys
Stick
Rock
Etc.

Presto, manufactured justification.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
What a group to draw from here!
I suspect more then likely, since both were felons and on community supervision hence the Correctional Officer, they do not need a warrant to search for one the other is that most felons as this live in a type of half way house that rents rooms with common kitchens, living and bathrooms which is usually includes a broken down slum lord that rents to felons and mentally ill people that no one else will rent to. Most of these places still and continue to have the mindset of convicts.

The roommate was just arrested and he did not wake up, yeah cry me a river.

Dave_pro2a

My guess is with a jacket like what gogodawgs posted that the shootee was probably still on supervision for one of those offenses, which means parole can search him with no warrant. also the residence apparently belonged to his felon roommate who was definitely still under DOC supervision.

Search, not shoot.

And 2 people can room together, doesn't mean that creates PC for a whole house search. Individual space.

Last edited: