• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Action agenda

Nevada carrier

I spoke at length tonight with Don't Tread On Me about various issues. I wanted to get some feed back from the Nevada forum to find out what issues are troubling the members of the forum so we can come to some consensus as to what we should be focusing on.

In my opinion we should be focusing on the following as our top priority;

#1 Reinforcing preemption. Either getting new legislation started that will reinforce that preemption renders each and every local ordinance unenforceable no mater if it were enacted before the preemption statutes were codified, with exception of registration Registration in counties population in exes of 400,000 may be outside the scope of our ability at this time, no matter how bad we feel about registration.

#2 Prevent Bob Irwin from being elected to the Nevada Assembly. It should be obvious that while at first, Mr. Irwin(owner of "The Gun Store") may appear to be in favor of our second amendment rights, he serves his own special interest agenda. The bulk of his business profits come from CCW instruction classes. His goal ultimately is to insure that he can continue to reap those profits. If he were elected, I have no doubt that his first order of business would be to outlaw Open Carry, forcing anyone who wanted to carry a firearm to obtain a CCW permit. He is not an advocate of the second amendment, he is a business man attempting to secure the longevity of his primary source of income; the CCW instruction he sells.

Please share with us what issues you believe we should tackle and what priority they should receive and why.

Last edited:

john-in-reno

I have to agree that the first priority is to deal with #1 and not only that but keep our eyes on any new legislation that might be bad for us gun owners

If theres anything I can do to help here in Reno just let me know, I am unemployed and have plenty of time on my hands, I am just waiting for my disability to get approved.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Who or what is Don't Tread on Me?

Far and away my biggest issue is a handgun carrier out shopping was mis-identified as a threat by a store employee and then ambushed and killed by police and nobody was held accountable.

I feel compelled to respond to yard sale, It is nice to make your virtual aquaintence,
looking forward to more, conversation on the issues

To me the Sheriff is a big deal, however for those that have time, the substations all hold public meetings on certain tuesdays during the month. It would be cool if we coould get some squeaky wheels in there:

http://www.lvmpd.com/programs/1sttuesday.html

Last edited:

Celt

What do you suppose would need to happen for us to become the 4th Constitutional Carry State? I'm seriously contemplating up and moving to Alaska simply because the politics and laws are more inline with my way of thinking.

Yard Sale

What do you suppose would need to happen for us to become the 4th Constitutional Carry State?
The state legislature would have to remove NRS 202.350 and NRS 202.3653 to 202.369 to become "more constiutional carry." No state has true constitutional carry.

wrightme

The state legislature would have to remove NRS 202.350 and NRS 202.3653 to 202.369 to become "more constiutional carry." No state has true constitutional carry.
While this is technically correct, I would guess that the question referred more to how to accomplish getting those changes made than to which changes would be required. But I could be wrong......

Yard Sale

Please define "true constitutional carry." I must be missing something. Perhaps you're referring to restricted places like gov't building, etc??

Yes there are still plenty of restrictions on who, what, where, when, and how.

Constitutional carry is a 17-year-old felon bearing a suppressed machine pistol with no serial numbers or markings, loaded with armor-piercing ammo, in a government building.

Celt

Yes there are still plenty of restrictions on who, what, where, when, and how.

Constitutional carry is a 17-year-old felon bearing a suppressed machine pistol with no serial numbers or markings, loaded with armor-piercing ammo, in a government building.

I can see why "some" people would consider that a bit scary. Though if everyone else in that government building was also exercising thier right to protect themselves I doubt that 17-year-old would think about causing a problem. Hell, he might have made some different choices when he was younger, and maybe, just maybe, wouldn't be a felon.

Remmy

I can see why "some" people would consider that a bit scary. Though if everyone else in that government building was also exercising thier right to protect themselves I doubt that 17-year-old would think about causing a problem. Hell, he might have made some different choices when he was younger, and maybe, just maybe, wouldn't be a felon.

Correct me if im wrong but dont Felons forfeit their constitutional rights upon being convicted of said felony? I know they are stripped of their 2nd amendment rights as well as their right to vote, maybe not in all states however I am not sure.

Nevada carrier

Correct me if im wrong but dont Felons forfeit their constitutional rights upon being convicted of said felony? I know they are stripped of their 2nd amendment rights as well as their right to vote, maybe not in all states however I am not sure.

A convicted felon can ask the governor of his state to issue a pardon even after his sentence is served. depending on the nature of the crime and the length of time the convicted felon has remained a law abiding citizen, he may or may not grant one. If a pardon is issued, it is as if the crime had never occurred. There are other dispositions of conviction as well, and they very from state to state as well as the procedures. It is very rare for a governor to grant a pardon, and usually depends on circumstances where the convicted felon has served there sentence but it is discovered later that the conviction was unjust. I just supposing here, but if a felon makes a very strong effort to serve the community even after his parole is completed, these things can all be taken into consideration.

If I'm not mistaken, it's fairly common for felons to have their voting rights restored after a period of time as a law abiding citizen. It usually requires that their entire sentence be served and their parole completed with an additional period after that were the convicted felon remains a law abiding citizen. Other rights are far more difficult. I would venture to say that if their crime were violent in nature, their second amendment rights are lost forever, and as they should be.

Remmy

A convicted felon can ask the governor of his state to issue a pardon even after his sentence is served. depending on the nature of the crime and the length of time the convicted felon has remained a law abiding citizen, he may or may not grant one. If a pardon is issued, it is as if the crime had never occurred. There are other dispositions of conviction as well, and they very from state to state as well as the procedures. It is very rare for a governor to grant a pardon, and usually depends on circumstances where the convicted felon has served there sentence but it is discovered later that the conviction was unjust. I just supposing here, but if a felon makes a very strong effort to serve the community even after his parole is completed, these things can all be taken into consideration.

If I'm not mistaken, it's fairly common for felons to have their voting rights restored after a period of time as a law abiding citizen. It usually requires that their entire sentence be served and their parole completed with an additional period after that were the convicted felon remains a law abiding citizen. Other rights are far more difficult. I would venture to say that if their crime were violent in nature, their second amendment rights are lost forever, and as they should be.

I would have to agree after reading several items "google being my friend" there really isnt a catch all or SOP for felons and their rights being restored at least no guarantee of that. I would also have to highly agree that a felon of violent nature loosing their 2nd a rights forever. i guess I was more so just commenting on the topic just brought up about constitutional carry not really being true constitutional and thus goes the 17 year old felon with a gun thing.

More on topic however, I would have to strongly seek to keep Bob Irwin out of anything having to do with politics. It seems he has stepped up his march for assembly in the past months. Classic example of a piece of scum prying on events to help rise him to his alternate motives. Last thing we need is another politician that doesnt know or understand our state laws.

GoDSpeeD

As many of you know I have been out of the loop for awhile. I've been thinking that we need to get together for dinner or something once a month and talk about direction and planning. Create agendas that stretch ahead for 3 months or so and build that momentum to start affecting change. Change like AG.
We need to continue to have a constant presence. As soon as we disappear than the hard work and time we all put in means nothing. People and society as a whole have very short memories. Lets make those memories say we are also "The Good Guys". BBQ's and this defense fund are great ideas. To get anything done requires a little cash now and then.

As soon as it starts to cool down we should resume trash pickups. I remember we have had some nice looking streets when we were done. Didn't Bruce and Lake Mead look good when we were done with it.

GoDSpeeD