• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying Handguns

Hey i was told you can be 18 to buy a handgun in Wisconsin and you can also open carry it. but then i googled it and it says mostly everywhere i looked that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun..but then it says you can only "posses" one at 18

Does anyone know what the laws are in wisconsin about this issue?

Thanks

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
You'd have be at least 21 to buy from a licensed gun dealer. Don't know of any law in WI prohibiting a person 18 from buying a handgun in a private sale from a gun owner who isn't a licensed gun dealer.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Motofixxer

Yep I heard and read the same. 18 to possess and 21 to buy handguns or ammo from a dealer. Should only be 18 for all, but I don't get to write the statutes. If I did, they would read a little different.

LR Yote 312

You'd have be at least 21 to buy from a licensed gun dealer. Don't know of any law in WI prohibiting a person 18 from buying a handgun in a private sale from a gun owner who isn't a licensed gun dealer.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Thats the way I read it too.

Its 21 to buy from a licensed dealer....18 in a private transaction.
18 to own/carry and/or hunt with.

LR Yote

Interceptor_Knight

Hey i was told you can be 18 to buy a handgun in Wisconsin and you can also open carry it. but then i googled it and it says mostly everywhere i looked that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun..but then it says you can only "posses" one at 18

Does anyone know what the laws are in wisconsin about this issue?

Thanks

Since the only time you may possess a handgun in WI under the age of 18 is while target practicing (not hunting) with your parent or someone appointed by them, by default you would not be able to purchase a handgun in WI unless you were 18. It is Federal law which prohibits you from purchasing a handgun from a FFL until you are 21. WI Statutes are silent on "purchase" so we are subject only to Federal law on transfers.

Since the only time you may possess a handgun in WI under the age of 18 is while target practicing (not hunting) with your parent or someone appointed by them, by default you would not be able to purchase a handgun in WI unless you were 18. It is Federal law which prohibits you from purchasing a handgun from a FFL until you are 21. WI Statutes are silent on "purchase" so we are subject only to Federal law on transfers.

so then it would be better to have someone eles buy the gun and have them sell it to you?

Big Dipper

so then it would be better to have someone eles buy the gun and have them sell it to you?

No. No. NO!

That is the very definition of a prohibited “straw purchase”.

I am beginning to find your entire series of posts on this forum to be rather disturbing.

You implied you had a felony conviction as a 14-year old and now are asking about committing another felony in order to obtain a handgun.

All of freedomfighter’s posts are here.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/search.php?searchid=46006
(That link is to a "stale" query. If anyone is interested, go to the listing of all his posts yourself.)

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member

18 - 21 year old citizens may purchase handguns in private transactions in Wisconsin but what you are describing is a straw purchase which is illegal.

Also, if you were convicted of a felony at age 14 then you would generally be prohibited from purchase unless your rights had been restored.

You will NOT find advice here on how to break the law!

John

AaronS

I also have to ask, what kind of felony conviction still lets you buy guns? I just don't know of any. Like John said, you could get your rights back, but I am under the impression that it is a long process.
I would have thought that you would have been brought into "adult" court to get the felony charge?
I thought I saw that you did get a long gun A few weeks back. Did you lie on the paperwork?

I also have to ask, what kind of felony conviction still lets you buy guns? I just don't know of any. Like John said, you could get your rights back, but I am under the impression that it is a long process.
I would have thought that you would have been brought into "adult" court to get the felony charge?
I thought I saw that you did get a long gun A few weeks back. Did you lie on the paperwork?

No i never lied most of what i ask is for information about laws not because those are my issues i just like to know everything i can so that if i am asked a certain question i will be able to give the right answer...i apperciate the help i get thanks for giving the info

You just tripped everyones "Oh Sh+t" Alarm.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ???

LR Yote

LOL yea i see that but like i said before, I like to ask alot of question, like how to buy guns and who can and cant get them and what is legal and illeagl to do with guns...so basically i am a person that likes INFO...

AaronS

No i never lied most of what i ask is for information about laws not because those are my issues i just like to know everything i can so that if i am asked a certain question i will be able to give the right answer...i apperciate the help i get thanks for giving the info

Hey I would try to help you out any chance I could. It just sounds to me like you are doing something wrong. A felon with guns? Sounds wrong to me.
Just to remind you, the law does read this forum. An IP address can be looked up, very easy...
I just hope it is all on the "up and up". Thats all.

LR Yote 312

LOL yea i see that but like i said before, I like to ask alot of question, like how to buy guns and who can and cant get them and what is legal and illeagl to do with guns...so basically i am a person that likes INFO...

Interesting ....
We like asking questions too.
Some of which were answered pretty vaguely.

Your post history sheds some light.

LR Yote

Hey I would try to help you out any chance I could. It just sounds to me like you are doing something wrong. A felon with guns? Sounds wrong to me.
Just to remind you, the law does read this forum. An IP address can be looked up, very easy...
I just hope it is all on the "up and up". Thats all.

Yea and later on in life i will be asking questions that would make ppl think "oh he might be a felon" but i dont care i got to make sure i know everything i can before i "open carry" its a very serious thing