• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry vs Permit

msajones

I live in North Carolina which is a open Carry state I'm confused as to what is the advantage of getting a permit if North Carolina is a open carry state?

jag06

There are advantages and disadvantages in getting a concealed carry permit. The advantages that I see are the ability to conceal at times when its inconvenient to OC, like during the winter. It also allows you to purchase handguns without having to get a PPP every time you want to get a new handgun. It also can help with that grey area of being in a car when pulled over. If you are OC'ing on your right hip and the officer cannot see it and finds out, he could charge you with carrying a concealed weapon.

Disadvantages are paying for a class, then paying for the permit. Being fingerprinted at the police station was a big disadvantage to me but I bit the bullet and did it. Its really up to you whether you want to get one or not. There are times and places where it can be an advantage to have a permit, and the rest of the time it probably wont matter. Its up to you to decide if you will need one or not.

ncwabbit

oc vs cc...eh

personally, there are times i grow weary of the stares of the 'OMG he has a gun' whispers (exclaimations) from those around me who do not have a clue...so i flip my shirt over my five-seveN and carry concealed...

either way i have the peace of mind to know if someone decides to attempt to cause me bodily harm, i can show them the error of their way...

i know for a fact the neighbor behind me is not @ all comfortable w/me oc'g in my back yard while playing w/the dogs or doing yard work and i truly wonder why but won't inquire since i truly do not care!!

wabbit

dmatting

This is the big one.

I agree. We like SC beaches, and the NC CHP allows me to carry in SC as there is no open carry down there (even though CC is a PITA).

I also like being able to just go and buy a pistol any time I want without having to get another PPP.

John Canuck

Snip

It also can help with that grey area of being in a car when pulled over. If you are OC'ing on your right hip and the officer cannot see it and finds out, he could charge you with carrying a concealed weapon.

I didn't even know this was a grey area. Does this happen a lot in NC?

dmatting

Not sure if it has happened even once - but once is all it takes to really screw your year up with something like that. If it did happen, I'm not sure how one would fare in court. I would expect the LEO to say that they believed the gun was concealed and the judge would likely side with them. It's enough of a gray area for me to be on the cautious side.

carsontech

Activist Member
A huge disadvantage is that you're paying the government to let you exercise a right.. wait, now it's a privilege if you do that.

Although, if you go out of state to where a license to carry is needed and you can't open carry without a license there, or if you travel within 1000 feet of a school zone within your own state, it's nice to have a permit.

It seems there are too many advantages, for me, if I lived in NC, not to have one. It's ridiculous, though.

Last edited:

nobama

the NC constitution mentions cc and is against the act, federal constitution,no. Im not sure what would happen with constitutional carry since the NC constitution talks against it. I would (and have) go ahead and get the cc.permit for all reasons mentioned.

Brion

i choose not to, so that when a leo approches me, i don't have to say a word. with cc, there is the whole, "I am a permit holder, and I am carrying, blah blah." Oh, and if I get pulled over, even if I'm not carrying, they run your info and it comes up with "Concealed permit holder" They get pissed, even if you are not armed. Plus, if you are cc, apparently the law is written in a way where they can disarm you just to have a conversation with you.

Open carry, I can just refuse to have the conversation all together, or have the unlawfull detainment on voice recorder.

cricketdad

Snip

Not sure how often it happens however a LEO friend told me it depends on why you were stopped, your attitude, and what kind of day the LEO is having as to whether you are going to have a bad day or a really bad day.

That's just the way it is when our law is written vague enough go either way with his judgement call.

John Canuck

Not sure if it has happened even once - but once is all it takes to really screw your year up with something like that. If it did happen, I'm not sure how one would fare in court. I would expect the LEO to say that they believed the gun was concealed and the judge would likely side with them. It's enough of a gray area for me to be on the cautious side.

What stops the same police officer from arresting an OC'er on the street for carrying concealed? If the LEO approaches on the weak side, he wouldn't be able to see the gun either.

Didn't the NC AG write something about OC in a vehicle not being considered CC? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

dmatting

What stops the same police officer from arresting an OC'er on the street for carrying concealed? If the LEO approaches on the weak side, he wouldn't be able to see the gun either.

Didn't the NC AG write something about OC in a vehicle not being considered CC? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

This is the latest publication from the NC AG office:
http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

On the street, the gun is holstered with no other coverings. I carry on my right side and in the car the center console and my seatbelt both do a good job of covering up the gun. I'd rather not chance it - so I either put it on the passenger seat or I would use my CHP.

Look - I'm just saying what I do. YMMV.

Last edited:

John Canuck

This is the latest publication from the NC AG office:
http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

On the street, the gun is holstered with no other coverings. I carry on my right side and in the car the center console and my seatbelt both do a good job of covering up the gun. I'd rather not chance it - so I either put it on the passenger seat or I would use my CHP.

Look - I'm just saying what I do. YMMV.

Yup, that's what I remember reading. Page 20, 2nd paragraph from bottom.

No problem. We are just discussing :)

Last edited:

ncwabbit

nice to see AG is ahead of the game

Pleasant surprise to see the AG has already posted the new handgun material where everyone can get to it....

wabbit

SovereignAxe

Oh hey, I just remembered a really good one-probably the best reason to get a permit, period. It'll excempt you from the 1000' GFSZ rule in your own state. It won't do anything for you out of state, but it'll make traveling in state a lot easier without having to worry about violating federal law.

bc.cruiser

Oh hey, I just remembered a really good one-probably the best reason to get a permit, period. It'll excempt you from the 1000' GFSZ rule in your own state. It won't do anything for you out of state, but it'll make traveling in state a lot easier without having to worry about violating federal law.

Yes, the law allows you to POSSESS a gun within your state's GFSZ if you have a CHP. It must also be unloaded and locked up. When you read the law, don't stop at the paragraph the says you can have the gun. After all, the prosecutor won't.

http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf

Para (q)(2)(B)(ii),(iii)(I,II)

If you are not otherwise breaking the law, or get into an accident where you can't properly secure the gun before the cops/responders get there, you probably have nothing to worry about.