• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knife question, CC or OC

Jbale22

To the best or my knowledge, any "ordinary" hunting knife or pocket knife. (KRS 500.080) it is pretty vague and I know there is another thread on this, but I have been looking at a knife in particular and looking to purchase it, but want to make sure I had all the facts before I purchase it. So I wanted to get my fellow OC'ers perspective.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005CUAK6M

Looks like a great knife, KA-BAR is always a good knife and have heard this knife comes highly recommended. But my question is, does this classify as a "deadly weapon?"

UnfetteredMight

To the best or my knowledge, any "ordinary" hunting knife or pocket knife. (KRS 500.080) it is pretty vague and I know there is another thread on this, but I have been looking at a knife in particular and looking to purchase it, but want to make sure I had all the facts before I purchase it. So I wanted to get my fellow OC'ers perspective.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005CUAK6M

Looks like a great knife, KA-BAR is always a good knife and have heard this knife comes highly recommended. But my question is, does this classify as a "deadly weapon?"

I would err on the side of caution. I doubt it would qualify as either a ordinary (common) hunting or pocket knife, especially considering its LE designation.

09jisaac

It classifies as a deadly weapon probably. As long as it isn't concealed then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. In kentucky it is legal to carry around a sword as long as there is no other law concerning it and it isn't concealed.

Also, the law states "(c) Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife; " Not the other way around. It doesn't exactly mean that ordinary has to apply to a hunting knife. It just depends on whose interpretation you're listening to.

Jbale22

That's my dilemma, it's very vague, it is designated as a LE design but it doesn't fold so I wouldn't consider it a "ordinary pocket knife" but an original KA-BAR knife is a much longer blade and I would consider that for use as a hunting knife. I will probably purchase it and OC it, but I was looking into it for the purpose of carrying it off hand in an ankle rig.

Jbale22

Thanks for the input guys, at least until I get my CCW I will OC with it most likely IWB if I can find a way to manage that since it comes with a kydex sheath.