• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stupid gun show question...

EtdBob

Hey y’all, I have a stupid question.
I have rented a table at the upcoming gun show / flea market at the Spokane fairgrounds.
I plan on inhabiting the flea market side with the intention of trying to sell off some of the huge pile of handcrafts that my wife has accumulated –
She makes baskets, soap, candles, quilts, rag rugs, twine mats, weaves pot holders, etc… The total list is staggering.

Anyway, I was figuring that heck, I might as well throw a few firearms I don’t feel the need for any more on the table and maybe get rid of some of those.
So I went through my collection and came up with five or six long arms and two handguns ( one is a cap and ball revolver ) that I wouldn’t mind parting company with.
My question is, is that to many firearms to be a-selling without a FFL?

I gather we have form RCW9.41, “Pistol / Revolver, Private Disposition / Transfer” and that filing this out is voluntary.
Any requirements I should be aware of?

Oh, and will any of y'all be making it to the show?

Trigger Dr

The sale of privately owned firearms that are part of a collection do not fall under the umbrella of having an FFL, as long as they are sold to a resident of Wa who is reasonably believed to be legal to own, or possess a firearm.

DCKilla

^^^^ don't sell anything to anyone with a New York accent!
+1, LOL, yeah, you don't need mayor Bloomberg's cronies throwing you under the bus for legal activities out of their jurisdiction.

Yes, an unexpired Washington driver's license/ID is required. Asking for a CPL might not hurt if you are concerned about their legal status, but not required.

Last edited:

LkWd_Don

I would like to know more about the Gun Show you are talking about. Can you provide a link to it?

As for who not to sell to.. if the name even sounds like E. Holderman, you may want to avoid that sale.
Another option you may wish to consider if you know anyone with an FFL who will be there, is to find out what he/she may charge you consign it with them for sale. That way everything is 100% legal and you won't have to worry.

Difdi

As if mere possession of such would prove residency, anyway...

No it doesn't prove residency. But it does provide for a reasonable belief on the part of the seller that the person they are selling to is a resident. Just like asking to see a CPL provides a reasonable belief that the buyer is not a felon.

LkWd_Don

No, it isn't.
This is just me, and my own feelings..... I prefer not to allow the government to regulate/verify an activity that is lawful for me to engage in without the "benefit" of government regulation.

I understand, I also understand that some people are a bit on the paranoid side when it comes to some things that are restricted or regulated and that merely opens another option to them.

LkWd_Don

So does asking, "Are you a resident of Washington and not prohibited?" There is no requirement to verify state of residence or not otherwise prohibited by the examination of documents for private sales.

Seeing a valid Drivers License or CPL will prove the buyers age and prevent you from selling to a young-un who looks old enough yet could get you in trouble.

hermannr

Fact to Face transactions are completely legal, no paperwork or license required, as long as you are not doing it as a business.

There is no requirement for ID, the requirement is that you reasonablely believe the person is not prohibited and is a resident of the state. Ask whoever is interested...are you a resident of WA? are you a prohibited person? If they do not know what a "prohibited person" is, have a copy of RCW 9.41 (or at least 9.41.040, .050, and 060) to read)" and then ask them again.

Or: Maybe go to your Sheriff's office and get a few copies of the F&W firearms booklet. They are free and have all the firearm laws in them. If someone is new to firearms they need to read that booklet anyway.

Last edited:

EtdBob

This is the first time I’ve ever done anything like this and I guess what I’m worried about is getting busted for trafficking in guns without a license to do so.
One or two guns on the table and I don’t think I’d worry, but I’m worried five-six rifles and two handguns might be pushing it.
Isn’t there a limit on the number of firearms a private individual can sell in one year?
Not that I plan to buy or trade for any new firearms, just sell off what I have. I’m wondering what my proper response should be in the event I get hassled by The Man.
See how paranoid I’m getting in my old age?

LkWd_Don,

Spokane Gun Show & Flea Market - 4/6/2012 - 4/8/2012
For more information
Paul Snider
(208) 746-5555
Located in Bay's 1,2,3 and Plaza.
April 6: Noon-6pm
April 7: 9am-6pm
April 8: 9am-4pm
Admission: $7.00 per day for both shows, $4.00 for Swap Meet only.

http://www.spokanecounty.org/fair/events.aspx

Usually a pretty good show.
Should I bother to list what I’m getting rid of for my fellow Spokanites to consider?

Mosin nagant M44, Romanian 1954 manufacture, non-matching bolt, cut down to a sporting rifle with a Pachmayr decelerator recoil pad and sling. I shot my first deer with this, my wife shot her first pig with this, and together we have harvested much meat with this gun.
Mosin nagant 91/30, 1943 manufacture, all matching numbers, good bore, stiff extractor, and a fine example of war time manufacture, should make a great tomato stake. Sling, pouch and tools, no baynet .
French MAS 1936, re-barreled in .308 and cut down by the importer to make it a sporting carbine. Pachmayr decelerator recoil pad. Another good tomato stake, if a bit short.
Russian TO3 .22 rimfire bolt action rifle. Good shape, handsome rifle and a little unusual, three magazines, very good trigger pull.
Remington 54P. This is an old peep sighted bolt action .22 rimfire rifle. Great shooter and even a little collectable, but the mag catch is a replacement and does not hold the mag right for proper feeding, and it has an extra screw hole or two some fool drilled into it for a different rear sight or something.
Asking 150 for each rifle except the old Remington which is tagged at $ 125. All prices are negotiable but I really don’t want trades!

Might try to sell off a Rossi .44 mag lever action, 24 inch octagonal barrel, color case hardening, crescent but plate, shoots good but I just don’t use it.

The handguns are a Taurus PT22 with rosewood grips just repaired by the factory and a pieta Remington cap and ball revolver, new-in-box. A fine gun if you like such things.

I’ll also be selling alcohol fueled camp stoves I made, LED lights and even a complete solar powered LED barn lighting system I put together, just to show that I can do handcrafts too, albeit of a very different sort than my wife makes. If ya go Don, I’ll be at the table with all the LED lights, stop by and say “Hi!”

Last edited:

LkWd_Don

This is the first time I’ve ever done anything like this and I guess what I’m worried about is getting busted for trafficking in guns without a license to do so.
One or two guns on the table and I don’t think I’d worry, but I’m worried five-six rifles and two handguns might be pushing it.
Isn’t there a limit on the number of firearms a private individual can sell in one year?
Not that I plan to buy or trade for any new firearms, just sell off what I have. I’m wondering what my proper response should be in the event I get hassled by The Man.
See how paranoid I’m getting in my old age?

LkWd_Don,

Spokane Gun Show & Flea Market - 4/6/2012 - 4/8/2012
For more information
Paul Snider
(208) 746-5555
Located in Bay's 1,2,3 and Plaza.
April 6: Noon-6pm
April 7: 9am-6pm
April 8: 9am-4pm
Admission: $7.00 per day for both shows, $4.00 for Swap Meet only.

http://www.spokanecounty.org/fair/events.aspx

Usually a pretty good show.
Should I bother to list what I’m getting rid of for my fellow Spokanites to consider?

Mosin nagant M44, Romanian 1954 manufacture, non-matching bolt, cut down to a sporting rifle with a Pachmayr decelerator recoil pad and sling. I shot my first deer with this, my wife shot her first pig with this, and together we have harvested much meat with this gun.
Mosin nagant 91/30, 1943 manufacture, all matching numbers, good bore, stiff extractor, and a fine example of war time manufacture, should make a great tomato stake. Sling, pouch and tools, no baynet .
French MAS 1936, re-barreled in .308 and cut down by the importer to make it a sporting carbine. Pachmayr decelerator recoil pad. Another good tomato stake, if a bit short.
Russian TO3 .22 rimfire bolt action rifle. Good shape, handsome rifle and a little unusual, three magazines, very good trigger pull.
Remington 54P. This is an old peep sighted bolt action .22 rimfire rifle. Great shooter and even a little collectable, but the mag catch is a replacement and does not hold the mag right for proper feeding, and it has an extra screw hole or two some fool drilled into it for a different rear sight or something.
Asking 150 for each rifle except the old Remington which is tagged at $ 125. All prices are negotiable but I really don’t want trades!

Uh, the handguns are a Taurus PT22 with rosewood grips just repaired by the factory and a new-in-box Pietta Remington cap and ball revolver, a very fine gun if you like these things.
Might try to sell off a Rossi .44 mag lever action, 24 inch octagonal barrel,Usually a pretty good show.

Mosin nagant M44, Romanian 1954 manufacture, non-matching bolt, cut down to a sporting rifle with a Pachmayr decelerator recoil pad and sling. I shot my first deer with this, and my wife and I have harvested much meat with this gun.

Uh, the handguns are a Taurus PT22 with rosewood grips just repaired by the factory and a new-in-box Pietta Remington cap and ball revolver, a very fine gun if you like these things.
Might try to sell off a Rossi .44 mag lever action, 24 inch octagonal barrel, color case hardening, crescent but plate, shoots good but I just don’t use it.

I’ll also be selling alcohol fueled camp stoves I made, LED lights and even a complete solar powered LED barn lighting system I put together, just to show that I can do handcrafts too, albeit of a very different sort than my wife makes. If ya go Don, I’ll be at the table with all the LED lights, stop by and say “Hi!”

Thank you for the info, I will be checking it out. As to the number you can sell per year.. I think it is 5 without having a license, but I am not an authority on that and would refer you to either the ATF website or to a Gun-Rights attorney.

LkWd_Don

There is no specified numerical limit in either Federal or Washington state law. 18 USC 921 defines what requires a license:

Hopefully we won't get into too much of an argument where the "but"s and "or"s fit into the statute....

LOL Do you really consider that I was arguing rather than discussing things with you?