• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brand New Member

Nav0341

Hello Everyone,
My name is Jeff and as you may have guessed, I am a brand new member here, lol. I live in Redford, over near Thurston High School with my wife and 3 kids. My wife and I have both owned various long-guns for many years, but due to some recent events we have just recently purchased our first handguns. I am sure many more purchases will be made in the future as we both really enjoy the weapons we purchased. She has a S&W JFrame 642 .38 Special, and I have a Glock 19 9mm.

Next weekend we get to take our CPL classes, and from there it is just a matter of a waiting game. Hopefully it is as quick as it was with my brother-in-law, 6 weeks.... but I know to expect 6 months.

Until then, I have slowly been getting my feet wet with open-carrying. At first I only carried inside the house to get used to the idea in general. Then I ventured outside for cookouts, mowing the lawn, etc just in my own yard. Tonight I took my youngest son for a walk and I open-carried on our walk... that was very strange, as I am still getting used to the idea that I am open-carrying a firearm.

In my mass google-ing, I stumbled upon this rather informational forum and after about 2 hours of reading articles I registered. I look forward to sharing my experiences here, probably asking a bunch of questions from time to time, and just getting involved with the conversations.

First question... are there any upcoming open-carry events in the Redford / Dearborn / Taylor etc areas. (I will be looking through the threads to find out for myself, but any heads up is welcomed)

-Nav0341

xmanhockey7

Hello Everyone,
My name is Jeff and as you may have guessed, I am a brand new member here, lol. I live in Redford, over near Thurston High School with my wife and 3 kids. My wife and I have both owned various long-guns for many years, but due to some recent events we have just recently purchased our first handguns. I am sure many more purchases will be made in the future as we both really enjoy the weapons we purchased. She has a S&W JFrame 642 .38 Special, and I have a Glock 19 9mm.

Next weekend we get to take our CPL classes, and from there it is just a matter of a waiting game. Hopefully it is as quick as it was with my brother-in-law, 6 weeks.... but I know to expect 6 months.

Until then, I have slowly been getting my feet wet with open-carrying. At first I only carried inside the house to get used to the idea in general. Then I ventured outside for cookouts, mowing the lawn, etc just in my own yard. Tonight I took my youngest son for a walk and I open-carried on our walk... that was very strange, as I am still getting used to the idea that I am open-carrying a firearm.

In my mass google-ing, I stumbled upon this rather informational forum and after about 2 hours of reading articles I registered. I look forward to sharing my experiences here, probably asking a bunch of questions from time to time, and just getting involved with the conversations.

First question... are there any upcoming open-carry events in the Redford / Dearborn / Taylor etc areas. (I will be looking through the threads to find out for myself, but any heads up is welcomed)

-Nav0341

Welcome. Make sure you are aware of the transport laws as it pertains to pistol as it is different for pistols and long guns. Also make sure you stay away from places listed under 750.234d. until you get your CPL.

stainless1911

Banned
Welcome

He might not know what a 750.234d is.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(tn...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-234d

Note: It says premises, not "inside a building", if you have to go somewhere on the list, park next door, and leave your gun in a case designed for a gun, in the trunk, unloaded. The bullets can be loaded in a mag, even in the same case, but not in the chamber/s and the mag cant be in the mag well. see following for transport laws. Do not OC at a school until you get your CPL.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(tn...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-231a

Any questions just come on back and we will be more than happy to help you. Talking to new people is better than dealing with these old farts every day.:p

Mitchell

Welcome Jeff,

If you have not found the threads yet. Your first 6 months will be the most stressful. Get a recorder and mind your manners if you meet an LEO.

Again, Welcome...

Nav0341

Thank you all for the welcomes and the pointers. As a matter of fact a voice recorder is on my shopping list for this weekend. One thing I am familiar with is how to handle law enforcement in most situations as well as "wash rinse and repeat," I've never had to in regards to my firearm, but I am sure it will happen sooner or later. I have a number of family and friends that are LEO and I have entertained the idea myself actually. But they all tell me the same exact thing about "talking."

I've read over the material that you guys linked, multiple times prior to actually signing up.... and I will continue to read it until it is memorized and second nature.

As I mentioned, I have been taking baby steps with OC for the time being, mainly because I am limited to where I can go on foot, AND for my own comfort. At least for me, it is somewhat of an adjustment from going from a law abiding citizen to an armed law abiding citizen... in these shoes you really have to dot your I's and cross your T's and know what the law says about what you are doing.

scot623

Thank you all for the welcomes and the pointers. As a matter of fact a voice recorder is on my shopping list for this weekend. One thing I am familiar with is how to handle law enforcement in most situations as well as "wash rinse and repeat," I've never had to in regards to my firearm, but I am sure it will happen sooner or later. I have a number of family and friends that are LEO and I have entertained the idea myself actually. But they all tell me the same exact thing about "talking."

I've read over the material that you guys linked, multiple times prior to actually signing up.... and I will continue to read it until it is memorized and second nature.

As I mentioned, I have been taking baby steps with OC for the time being, mainly because I am limited to where I can go on foot, AND for my own comfort. At least for me, it is somewhat of an adjustment from going from a law abiding citizen to an armed law abiding citizen... in these shoes you really have to dot your I's and cross your T's and know what the law says about what you are doing.

Your path to OC mirrors mine exactly. I still love mowing the lawn while OC. Join MOC's Facebook page( link in my signature line) we post OC events there regularly.

Scooter

Welcome! I too, started out very similar to you. I was waiting for my CPL and began OCing around the house and on walks in the 'hood. Read up, know the law, be confident (not cocky), be pleasant and know you are right. You should be fine. Over 2 years of OC for me and no real problems!

Haman J.T.

Welcome! As one who came to OC by researching the web,after being denied my CPL in 06' due to a CPL board error,I found this site.After quickly being educated on this site I immediately began to exercise My Right to Bear(with the pain in the butt of the trunk dance) and educate all my fellow Citizens who asked "are you a cop?",with my answer of "no,I'm a Citizen lawfully exercising my Right to Bear according to Article 1 Sec. 6 ,MI Constitution, "Every Person has the Right to Keep and Bear Arms for the Defense of Himself and the State(meaning fellow citizens)"! God Bless and CARRY ON!