• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question, New to website. Open Carry Knives?

I understand that this post may be in the wrong category, but I do not yet know and understand fully how this website should work, I apologize, if an Admin needs to help or something, please. To the question.

I understand that the conceal carry for knives in Ky without a CCDW license is vague and Simply says "ordinary folding or hunting knife" or something like that. I also believe to understand that a human the age of 18 or older can open carry relatively anything within reason, not needing a license. My question, addresses minors. I believe a minor can conceal an "ordinary pocket knife". Can they open carry a "ordinary pocket knife"? Could they open carry anything? or are they only able to conceal carry an "ordinary". Also, what is KY's definition of "open carry" and "concealed"?

langzaiguy

Welcome to the forum! You'll find many answers by using the search button--though it's not the greatest. I can't really speak to the legality of a minor carrying a knife. I will say that there is no state preemption for knives and that localities may legislate against the carry of knives. Also, there is no black and white definition of when a gun actually comes concealed. Most of us will tell you that an IWB holstered gun would be considered OC. I personally wouldn't carry that way if I didn't have a CDWL--too much opportunity for a shirt of a jacket to cover the weapon. Chances are though, if you were confronted by an LEO for carrying a weapon and he demanded to see your CDWL, you could easily argue that the gun isn't concealed if a cop noticed you were carrying it.

09jisaac

I understand that this post may be in the wrong category, but I do not yet know and understand fully how this website should work, I apologize, if an Admin needs to help or something, please. To the question.

I understand that the conceal carry for knives in Ky without a CCDW license is vague and Simply says "ordinary folding or hunting knife" or something like that. I also believe to understand that a human the age of 18 or older can open carry relatively anything within reason, not needing a license. My question, addresses minors. I believe a minor can conceal an "ordinary pocket knife". Can they open carry a "ordinary pocket knife"? Could they open carry anything? or are they only able to conceal carry an "ordinary". Also, what is KY's definition of "open carry" and "concealed"?

As you know, most things are perfectly legal until otherwise stated by law. Kentucky is relatively lenient on weapons. You can conceal any weapon that does not reach "deadly weapon" status such as an "ordinary pocket knife". Since this has no legal definition in Kentucky think of it this way, can you convince a cop/prosecuting attorney/judge/jury that your knife is in fact an "ordinary pocket knife". If you are willing to bet your freedom you can, then by all means, carry it.

Since Kentucky does not regulate knifes other than concealed deadly weapons it is perfectly legal to carry any knife openly. I would say though, that since Kentucky's preemption law only covers Firearms, check all local laws. Local governments (county, city) can regulate any weapon other than a firearm. Most do not as they see little threat to a short blade.

Kentucky has no legal definition of "open carry" or "concealed". Kentucky laws are written in "common" language. This is to make it easier for the common person to understand the law they most obey. Google "define: concealed", the answer you get should be sufficient.

As you know, most things are perfectly legal until otherwise stated by law. Kentucky is relatively lenient on weapons. You can conceal any weapon that does not reach "deadly weapon" status such as an "ordinary pocket knife". Since this has no legal definition in Kentucky think of it this way, can you convince a cop/prosecuting attorney/judge/jury that your knife is in fact an "ordinary pocket knife". If you are willing to bet your freedom you can, then by all means, carry it.

Since Kentucky does not regulate knifes other than concealed deadly weapons it is perfectly legal to carry any knife openly. I would say though, that since Kentucky's preemption law only covers Firearms, check all local laws. Local governments (county, city) can regulate any weapon other than a firearm. Most do not as they see little threat to a short blade.

Kentucky has no legal definition of "open carry" or "concealed". Kentucky laws are written in "common" language. This is to make it easier for the common person to understand the law they most obey. Google "define: concealed", the answer you get should be sufficient.

Thank you for your response.
From what I understand, The law says that adults 18+ can open carry, I guess I'm wondering if you have any references or laws that show that minors are specifically allowed or exempt from the standard open carry law. The part that confuses me, is that You have to be 18 to typically "open carry". Logically, I would think anything a minor could conceal, they could OC. Really Wondering if you have any reference to the law which could explain why a minor could or is allowed to.. I understand, if it's not mentioned in law, you can do it. BUT I was originally thinking that if you have to be 18 to generally open carry, to me, that implies if you are 17 or under you can not OC. That's when I get confused. Or maybe the typical 18+ OC law addresses firearms?

Also, are there any blades that are just completely outlawed in Kentucky even if open carried? (Ex. Balisong, Stiletto, spring-assisted, switchblade, etc.)

09jisaac

From what I understand, The law says that adults 18+ can open carry, I guess I'm wondering if you have any references or laws that show that minors are specifically allowed or exempt from the standard open carry law. The part that confuses me, is that You have to be 18 to typically "open carry". Logically, I would think anything a minor could conceal, they could OC. Really Wondering if you have any reference to the law which could explain why a minor could or is allowed to.. I understand, if it's not mentioned in law, you can do it. BUT I was originally thinking that if you have to be 18 to generally open carry, to me, that implies if you are 17 or under you can not OC. That's when I get confused. Or maybe the typical 18+ OC law addresses firearms?

Also, are there any blades that are just completely outlawed in Kentucky even if open carried? (Ex. Balisong, Stiletto, spring-assisted, switchblade, etc.)

The law that we use to say you have to be 18 to open carry is the "youth handgun safety act" (federal law) and "527.100possession of a handgun by minor" (state law). This deals ONLY with handguns. Theoretically a minor can OC a long gun and/or a blade.

The main thing is, what you are asking is about a tool. I carry wrenches in my pocket every so often. A knife is just a tool. Usually it is a tool used to cut objects that harm nothing (clamshell packaging, ropes, twine, etc). I wouldn't even consider most blades a weapon.

Any blades that are completely outlawed? Not that I know of. Know though, the blades you listed would probably not fit the "ordinary pocket knife" exemption in the law. Any concealment of these blades, if they are not exempt, will be concealing a deadly weapon.

The law that we use to say you have to be 18 to open carry is the "youth handgun safety act" (federal law) and "527.100possession of a handgun by minor" (state law). This deals ONLY with handguns. Theoretically a minor can OC a long gun and/or a blade.

The main thing is, what you are asking is about a tool. I carry wrenches in my pocket every so often. A knife is just a tool. Usually it is a tool used to cut objects that harm nothing (clamshell packaging, ropes, twine, etc). I wouldn't even consider most blades a weapon.

Any blades that are completely outlawed? Not that I know of. Know though, the blades you listed would probably not fit the "ordinary pocket knife" exemption in the law. Any concealment of these blades, if they are not exempt, will be concealing a deadly weapon.

Alright. Thank you. To your knowledge is there any type of limits to how many pocket knives a person can conceal? And How many weapons one can have on them at a time? Is there any such law? And From what you're saying, there is no law against minors open carrying any type of blade, or non-handgun firearm? And of course, one must make sure they are Open carrying in such a manor that one might not consider it brandishing.

I usually carry a few normal ones. Just as tools, sometimes when someone needs one I have one, and some are sentimental. As silly as it may seem, I am interested in a open carrying a spring assisted stiletto, using it as my carry knife, and it's a novelty knife. If I can do so legally, I intend on clipping it to the belt, making sure the shirt was tucked on/behind it so it is visible. Do you see any reason this may be a problem legally?

KYGlockster

Activist Member

No. These knives are NOT outlawed, no knife is in Ky. The only stipulation for carrying these knives is that you must carry them in the open if you do not have a CDWL. If you get your CDWL you can carry them openly or concealed.

As for the rest of your post, I am having a hard time understanding what exactly you are trying to ask/say. Even if you are under the age of 18 in Ky, you can still OC a firearm, but only in very limited circumstances. KRS 527.100 states:

527.100 Possession of handgun by minor.
(1) A person is guilty of possession of a handgun by a minor when, being under the age of eighteen (18) years, he possesses, manufactures, or transports a handgun as defined by KRS 527.010, except when the person is:
(a) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;
(b) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm, or target shooting at an established firing range, or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited;
(c) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by a group organized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or any successor thereto which uses firearms as a part of the performance;
(d) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the statutes or administrative regulations of this Commonwealth;
(e) Traveling to or from any activity described in paragraphs (a) to (d) of this subsection with any unloaded handgun in his possession;
(f) On real property which is under the control of an adult and has the permission of that adult and his parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun; or
(g) At his residence and with the permission of his parent or legal guardian possesses a handgun and is justified under the principles of justification set forth in KRS Chapter 503 in using physical force or deadly physical force.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a handgun is "loaded" if:
(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the handgun; or
(b) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the handgun, if the handgun is a revolver; or
(c) There is a cartridge in the magazine of a semiautomatic handgun, if the magazine is attached to the handgun; or
(d) The handgun and the ammunition for the handgun, are carried on the person of one under the age of eighteen (18) years or are in such close proximity to him that he could readily gain access to the handgun and the ammunition and load the handgun.

Pay attention to 1(b)(d)(e)(f)(g).

No. These knives are NOT outlawed, no knife is in Ky. The only stipulation for carrying these knives is that you must carry them in the open if you do not have a CDWL. If you get your CDWL you can carry them openly or concealed.

As for the rest of your post, I am having a hard time understanding what exactly you are trying to ask/say. Even if you are under the age of 18 in Ky, you can still OC a firearm, but only in very limited circumstances. KRS 527.100 states:

527.100 Possession of handgun by minor.
(1) A person is guilty of possession of a handgun by a minor when, being under the age of eighteen (18) years, he possesses, manufactures, or transports a handgun as defined by KRS 527.010, except when the person is:
(a) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;
(b) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm, or target shooting at an established firing range, or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited;
(c) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by a group organized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or any successor thereto which uses firearms as a part of the performance;
(d) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the statutes or administrative regulations of this Commonwealth;
(e) Traveling to or from any activity described in paragraphs (a) to (d) of this subsection with any unloaded handgun in his possession;
(f) On real property which is under the control of an adult and has the permission of that adult and his parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun; or
(g) At his residence and with the permission of his parent or legal guardian possesses a handgun and is justified under the principles of justification set forth in KRS Chapter 503 in using physical force or deadly physical force.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a handgun is "loaded" if:
(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the handgun; or
(b) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the handgun, if the handgun is a revolver; or
(c) There is a cartridge in the magazine of a semiautomatic handgun, if the magazine is attached to the handgun; or
(d) The handgun and the ammunition for the handgun, are carried on the person of one under the age of eighteen (18) years or are in such close proximity to him that he could readily gain access to the handgun and the ammunition and load the handgun.

Pay attention to 1(b)(d)(e)(f)(g).
I am interested in what a minor can Open carry. A minor cannot conceal a gun, and I think can open carry a non-handgun. (??)

But my main interest is about minors open carrying pocket knives, stilettos, spring-assisted knives, balisong etc.

A minor can of course conceal an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife. I believe that the 18+ open carry law addresses handguns/(firearms?).

So with blades not being mentioned, I am thinking that as far as state law is concerned, a minor could open carry a blade such as a balisong, or stiletto, of course making sure not to brandish the blade.

If you have any information regarding that, please help me out here. And thanks for your info.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I am interested in what a minor can Open carry. A minor cannot conceal a gun, and I think can open carry a non-handgun. (??)

But my main interest is about minors open carrying pocket knives, stilettos, spring-assisted knives, balisong etc.

A minor can of course conceal an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife. I believe that the 18+ open carry law addresses handguns/(firearms?).

So with blades not being mentioned, I am thinking that as far as state law is concerned, a minor could open carry a blade such as a balisong, or stiletto, of course making sure not to brandish the blade.

If you have any information regarding that, please help me out here. And thanks for your info.

Your are correct, there are no laws in Ky that prohibit a minor from openly carrying one of the knives you listed. You can also carry them concealed at certain times, which I have listed below.

KRS 527.020 states:
(9) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person who carries a concealed deadly weapon on or about his or her person without a license issued pursuant to KRS 237.110:
(a) If he or she is the owner of the property or has the permission of the owner of the property, on real property which he or she or his or her spouse, parent, grandparent, or child owns;
(b) If he or she is the lessee of the property or has the permission of the lessee of the property, on real property which he or she or his or her spouse, parent, grandparent, or child occupies pursuant to a lease; or

So, you can carry the knife concealed if you are on property of someone stated above with their permission. You must be 21 to obtain a CDWL, but you do not have to be 21 to carry concealed under the circumstances stated above, because you can do so WITHOUT a license. You could even get a CDWL from a state that issues them at the age of 18 and carry concealed everywhere under Ky law, you are just not able to obtain the KENTUCKY CDWL until you turn 21. This is a bummer I know, we can carry openly in public at 18 but not concealed! This really doesn't make sense does it!? Hope this helps.

Your are correct, there are no laws in Ky that prohibit a minor from openly carrying one of the knives you listed. You can also carry them concealed at certain times, which I have listed below.

KRS 527.020 states:
(9) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person who carries a concealed deadly weapon on or about his or her person without a license issued pursuant to KRS 237.110:
(a) If he or she is the owner of the property or has the permission of the owner of the property, on real property which he or she or his or her spouse, parent, grandparent, or child owns;
(b) If he or she is the lessee of the property or has the permission of the lessee of the property, on real property which he or she or his or her spouse, parent, grandparent, or child occupies pursuant to a lease; or

So, you can carry the knife concealed if you are on property of someone stated above with their permission. You must be 21 to obtain a CDWL, but you do not have to be 21 to carry concealed under the circumstances stated above, because you can do so WITHOUT a license. You could even get a CDWL from a state that issues them at the age of 18 and carry concealed everywhere under Ky law, you are just not able to obtain the KENTUCKY CDWL until you turn 21. This is a bummer I know, we can carry openly in public at 18 but not concealed! This really doesn't make sense does it!? Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info. The way you stated that first sentence makes me wonder; are there any KY laws which do prohibit minors from open carrying knives?

Again, thanks again for all your help! And you are saying, you can get a CDWL from a state that you are not a legal resident in, and use that as your conceal license in Kentucky?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Thank you for the info. The way you stated that first sentence makes me wonder; are there any KY laws which do prohibit minors from open carrying knives?

Again, thanks again for all your help! And you are saying, you can get a CDWL from a state that you are not a legal resident in, and use that as your conceal license in Kentucky?

No, there are no statutes that prohibit minors from carrying knives, and that is why it IS legal.

Yes, if you can find a state that will issue a non-resident permit/license to individuals 18 or older you could carry concealed with that permit/license in Ky. You can carry concealed under the age of 21 in Ky, you just can't get a Ky CDWL until you are 21. The law says nothing about carrying concealed at a certain age, but it does say at what age you can obtain a Ky license to do so.

No, there are no statutes that prohibit minors from carrying knives, and that is why it IS legal.

Yes, if you can find a state that will issue a non-resident permit/license to individuals 18 or older you could carry concealed with that permit/license in Ky. You can carry concealed under the age of 21 in Ky, you just can't get a Ky CDWL until you are 21. The law says nothing about carrying concealed at a certain age, but it does say at what age you can obtain a Ky license to do so.

Alright thank you for your time and help.

Do you have any advice on what way to open carry considering there seems to be no legal definition to my knowledge?