• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best defensive round!!!

OC for ME

The low possibility of collateral damage should be considered.

Example: The first round, or follow on rounds, merely clips a target and then the projectile design and physics take over. I'm rather comfortable knowing that my round will likely only hit one target and I hope it is my intended target.

They should have shown it hitting a B-29 target.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I will not be loading these rounds in any firearm I possess. All of the chatter about penetration, wound channel, ballistics, etc. aside, the primary reason I will not load these is the assured cross examination by the plaintiff's attorney that I loaded my firearm with a bullet designed to kill an attacker by inflicting the greatest possible harm. We do not shoot to kill. We shoot to stop the threat, and that is accomplished in many cases without causing death. I load my firearms with ammunition that is effective in stopping the threat -- Speer Gold Dots -- which the FBI has determined are among the most effective self defense rounds available.

I am not going to be sitting in the witness chair while some attorney is characterizing me as some kind of vigilante hoping to find some "innocent, socially deprived child" to kill with my R.I.P. bullets.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I will not be loading these rounds in any firearm I possess. All of the chatter about penetration, wound channel, ballistics, etc. aside, the primary reason I will not load these is the assured cross examination by the plaintiff's attorney that I loaded my firearm with a bullet designed to kill an attacker by inflicting the greatest possible harm. We do not shoot to kill. We shoot to stop the threat, and that is accomplished in many cases without causing death. I load my firearms with ammunition that is effective in stopping the threat -- Speer Gold Dots -- which the FBI has determined are among the most effective self defense rounds available.

I am not going to be sitting in the witness chair while some attorney is characterizing me as some kind of vigilante hoping to find some "innocent, socially deprived child" to kill with my R.I.P. bullets.

If the prosecutor so decide to place your ammo on trial also, he could do it with any ammo you used.

Teej

They should have shown it hitting a B-29 target.

What's the point of that? It'd be the same as any JHP hitting paper.

Lots of misunderstanding about this round which IMHO is a dumb gimmick.

This is a lightweight round (90-something grain) that sheds much of its mass on first contact with a target. Those shards are going to make life difficult for the medics to patch the guy up, but they're probably not going to go deep enough to sever major arteries or nerves in a manner to bring down an attacker.

The rounds will not "first cut through concrete, then splinter"....think about it. Your gun has a rifling pattern such that for ever 10-20 inches (depends on the gun) the bullet travels forward, it spins around once. Granted that spin rate may increase _very slightly_ since over a distance the forward speed will decrease more than the rotation speed. But it's still not going to be like a boring cutter drilling a hole. Darn near any 9mm, .40, .45 etc bullet is going to go through a layer or two of cinder block just like these will.

The only piece with reasonable penetration is the core of the round, after it's shucked much (half?) its weight and diameter when the "trocar" spikes separated.

Me, I'd rather have my bullet remain intact, making the biggest hole possible to effective depth. I don't want a 9mm that turns into a .22 with additional surface tissue damage.

I've seen many people say it was "just like black talon". No, black talons were an ordinary hollow point where part of the jacket would peel off the lead substrate leaving the "talon-like" tips. This too was more of a marketing gimmick. The SXT, Ranger-T and PDX rounds are all substantially similar, evolutionary upgrades, to the black talon design...just without the catchy name and marketing.

These rounds make interesting videos, but I'm not looking to buy any.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
If the prosecutor so decide to place your ammo on trial also, he could do it with any ammo you used.

Yes, he could, but I believe that I am rather safer from that situation by using a round that has been vetted for use by the FBI and which is in common usage by law enforcement throughout the country, than a round that is being hyped the way the R.I.P. is being advertised. Use whatever ammunition you like, FI. I'm going to use a round that is judged to be effective without all the baggage of being a "killer" bullet.