• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc in nat forest without cpl?

chrsjhnsn

I have a NV ccw and might be camping out this summer in a nat forest in WA, I do not think I'll have the funds to get a non res cpl from WA so my question is. ... Can I oc in the forest without breaking the law?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Yes

Yes, as OC is legal with no permit. Yes, as OC is specifically covered while hiking.

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

J_Douglass

Im pretty sure i know the answer to this, but this does cover mt rainier correct? just not the visitors center, I've seen the signs.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Im pretty sure i know the answer to this, but this does cover mt rainier correct? just not the visitors center, I've seen the signs.

Yes.

You may not carry in a Federal Building, which at this time seems to include the visitors center.

http://www.nps.gov/mora/parkmgmt/upload/FirearmsPublicFAQs.pdf

Q. Can I take a firearm anywhere I go in the park?​
A. No. Federal law prohibits firearms in “federal facilities,” which are generally defined as federally-owned or
-leased buildings where federal employees work on a regular basis. Buildings that meet this definition will have
signs posted at public entrances noting the prohibition on firearms. In addition, privately-owned or -operated​
facilities within park boundaries may not allow firearms, consistent with the laws of that state.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
A thread worth reading...
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Open-Carry

I saw a park sign saying no firearms. Is that legal? (RCW 9.41.290) No. Washington State has preempted all firearms laws regarding possession. You may carry in any city, county, state, National Forest or National Park in Washington State.
As was posted the exemptions in RCW 9.41.060 cover you carrying concealed and loaded in your vehicle TO and FROM that location as normally you are required to have a concealed license to carry loaded in your vehicle.

This is also a good thing to print out and have on hand.
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=41

Its a letter that I asked for and received from the Regional Forester on weapons carry. I had a Park Ranger tell me I could not carry in his forest as he makes the rules. That letter clarifies that issue clearly.

amlevin

Yes.

You may not carry in a Federal Building, which at this time seems to include the visitors center.

Gogo-

Does this include the

7.gif

After all, aren't they also "Federal Buildings" when they're located in the National Park?

amlevin

You are confusing "where Federal employees are normally present in the performance of their duties" with "where Federal employees are normaly present in the performance of their doodies"...

I always did have difficulty figuring which one the Federal employees were doing while working in National Parks.

amlevin

Just make sure that when you set the gun down next to you, that's it is only a one-holer and not a two-holer! :uhoh:

And that begs the question, "If you were to drop it down the hole, how valuable would the gun have to be before you'd go in after it?"

Like the guy who was seen tossing $100 bills down the hole in an outhouse. Asked what he was doing he replied "Dropped my wallet and I'm trying to decide how valuable it has to be for me to go in after it".