• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you open carry in cold weather?

tbc27143

When it is cold and snowy and a coat/jacket is needed how do you open carry? A coat or jacket would conceal the pistol.

eye95

When it is cold and snowy and a coat/jacket is needed how do you open carry? A coat or jacket would conceal the pistol.

In that situation, I don't OC. I go ahead and allow my jacket to conceal my pistol. However, I wear my jacket open and am unconcerned about flashing.

I guess that, if I lived where it was cold enough to warrant zipping my jacket, I'd get a drop-leg or find some other way of keeping my firearm relatively accessible without having to partially disrobe.

MKEgal

The coat I generally wear when it's below freezing is hip-length. I button the top 2 buttons, then tuck the right side of the front of the coat behind the handle of the pistol. Keeps most of my body protected.

When it gets above maybe 40, I wear a lighter, shorter jacket that I can zip up & doesn't come down far enough to cover the grip. Still take care that it's not covering the grip.

We're looking forward to getting above freezing a few days this weekend! :banana::monkey :lol:
Maybe we'll get rid of some of the 17"+ from the blizzard last Tues./Wed. :eek:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
For about $10 you can get your local tailor/clothing alterations place to cut a slit along the side seam. Just like the one the cops have on their winter jackets.

If you are wearing an overcoat (horse blanket) then I'm completely stumped.

stay safe.

Blk97F150

Many long overcoats have a 'ball scratcher' slit in them.... that allows you to reach inside the overcoat to access the pants pocket. One might be able use that slit to OC a firearm.

rotorhead

I have a Carhart coat of normal length. I use the same SERPA holster I normally use and simply tuck the side behind the holster. For some reason a Carhart fits just right on me and it looks and feels completely natural when tucking. It doesn't look overly obvious in other words. Something about the stretchy waist band I guess.

since9

Campaign Veteran
When it gets colder, I open carry wearing lightweight gloves by Seirus.

I'm not worried about the cold. I'd cover my firearm in a downpour, or even snowfall. My primary concern is about being able to reach, draw and fire it with speed, control and accuracy. The thin gloves are both wind and water-proof, with a very fine layer of fleece to help insulate against the cold. They're thin enough, however, that they're practically non-existant when it comes to handling a firearm.

If things get really cold outside, I simply put my hands in my jacket pockets. It hads perhaps a quarter of a second response time, max.

therealcombat

I use a drop thigh holster when riding my motorcycle. I think this would be perfectly suitable.

Although, one thing bothers me: When standing upright, my hands at my side, my palm is right at my pistol's grip. Might look intimidating to others. Thoughts?

protect our rights

I generally just let my coat hang over it. The bottom 1/4 hangs out. You can get a drop leg. I wouldn't worry about it unless you really really want to open carry. THats hy florida needs open carry then we can all move there! :)

protect our rights

I use a drop thigh holster when riding my motorcycle. I think this would be perfectly suitable.

Although, one thing bothers me: When standing upright, my hands at my side, my palm is right at my pistol's grip. Might look intimidating to others. Thoughts?

Once again as someone else put it. "Your right to be nurvous and scared at seeing my gun ends at MY right to Open carry"

therealcombat

Once again as someone else put it. "Your right to be nurvous and scared at seeing my gun ends at MY right to Open carry"

Right, but being that my state has a somewhat vague definition on the illegal display of a firearm, i am a little worried that at some point some douche might claim i was grabbing at it or touching it when that's just the natural place my arms hang when standing upright.

RCW 9.41.270

protect our rights

Right, but being that my state has a somewhat vague definition on the illegal display of a firearm, i am a little worried that at some point some douche might claim i was grabbing at it or touching it when that's just the natural place my arms hang when standing upright.

What is "Warranting alarm", why do people (firearms instructors, police officers, gun shop employees) say that this law makes it illegal t o open carry?

In 1969, RCW 9.41.270 was passed in light of the intimidating actions of the Black Panther Party in both the State of California and in Seattle. Analysis of the legislative intent behind the bill and final law indicated that the Washington State Legislature never intended this to be a gun control bill, and stripped out in committee provisions of the bill which would have prohibited carry within 500 feet of any "public building" for fear it would ensnare a peaceable open carrier walking nearby, thereby violating a persons rights under Article 1, Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution. This is not to say that all forms of open carry are lawful. The key word is "peaceable". If your pistol is in a holster, and you're generally not touching it or making gripping movements (except of course, in an actual act of self defense), or opening a coat to expose your pistol to intimidate someone to do something, then the current body of case law (state v casad, state v. spencer) generally makes such carry lawful.

In other words it seems to me that your state actually does say something about "generally touching" and "Gripping movements". I have not heard of these where i'm from. I would play it safe and get a new holster or arrange it in a way that would be further from your palm. They made this rule to stop the intiidation from the black panther party ack in the 60's and 70's. Its a little out dated and I'm sure most police don't even know about it; but you don't want to take the chance of running into a LEO that is having a bad day and is looking for any reason to get you in truoble. (i doubt they would bring this out) but none the less Don't take chances.

Brad-

therealcombat

Yeah, i generally carry with my shoulder rig. Just when i'm on the bike i use the drop-thigh rig. If I'm on the bike, i'm generally not out walking about, but sitting and riding :)

since9

Campaign Veteran

RCW 9.41.270

The key to that law lies in the phrase, "... that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

It doesn't that "that alarms other persons." The simple act of carrying a firearm in and of itself does NOT constitute an attempt to intimidate others, nor does it warrent alarm for the safety of other persons, at least not in a reasonable person, even if the individual is in an empty parking lot at 10pm at night when it's snowing outside.

It's a stupid, poorly worded law in serious need of revision by the WA state legislature.

Last edited: