• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is B.S.! There's an issues with my CCW application!

Terminal Velocity

Well I called on my application today and I was told that there was an issue and that FDLE has sent me a letter in the mail; that is all the info the lady gave me, except that now it will be another 6 to 8 weeks and all this was started in May! :mad:

I'm not saying that me background is crystal clear, but clearly I am not a felon or I would not have been able to buy my gun (at a gun shop). This is ******* ********!!!!

Well let me just come out and ask... Even thought I can get a firearm, can I still be denied a CWP? One would think that if one could get a gun after clearing the 3 day background check, then that same individual would be able to obtain a damn CWP.

This is just ********!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Terminal Velocity

Well I took that 30 question test on the FDACS website that will tell you if you qualify, and it seems that due to a withhold of adjudication on a B.S. felony charge back in 97, this may be causing my issue. The thing is, it is WELL OVER 3 years and wouldn't the FDLE have the disposition from the court? Outside of that, there should be nothing holding me back. The ONLY actual conviction I have is a Misdemeanor from 94 for getting into a fight at a club called the EDGE in Ft. Lauderdale - $75 to the magistrate and I was on my way. Then in 97 with the Felonies, but they were all withheld adjudication; I served my Probat and even received early term so from 97 till now NOTHING! I have some other arrests, but no convictions. Hell... I even worked for the Department of Defense with the same background and was given a mid-level security clearance. ehhh... this is B.S.!!!

http://app1.licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/firearms/prequal_questions.aspx

Concealed Weapon or Firearm License Preliminary Eligibility Determination

Based upon your answers, you may not qualify for the following reasons:

You answered Yes to question 15 - Have you had adjudication of guilt withheld on any felony?
» You are not eligible for licensure if you have had adjudication of guilt withheld on any felony and three years have not elapsed since probation or any other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled, or the record has been sealed or expunged.

However, if three years have elapsed since probation or any other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled, or the record has been sealed or expunged, you may be eligible for licensure.

A copy of the document issued by the court or probation office evidencing completion of probation or other conditions must be submitted with your application. Upon receipt of this documentation, your application will be further reviewed to determine your eligibility for licensure. If additional information is required, you will be notified in writing.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Here's what you do.

1. Connect with your local open-carry grass-roots organization or any one of those mentioned here, for more information;
2. With the help of Google or with these contacts find the appropriate lawyer in your area and get him to petition for an expungement;
3. Profit.

In the meantime, since you don't say your location, which is fine, you might try to post in General Discussion for help.

Good luck!

KeepShootin

Hmmm... What about question #9?

--Are you currently under arrest or charged with any crime of violence?--

"You are not eligible for licensure if you are under arrest or currently charged with any felony, or crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year; or any crime of violence, including crimes of domestic violence;..."

Maybe that fight was considered a crime of violence.

Terminal Velocity

Here's what you do.

1. Connect with your local open-carry grass-roots organization or any one of those mentioned here, for more information;
2. With the help of Google or with these contacts find the appropriate lawyer in your area and get him to petition for an expungement;
3. Profit.

In the meantime, since you don't say your location, which is fine, you might try to post in General Discussion for help.

Good luck!

Oh sorry, I thought it would have been a given that I was in Florida since this is the Florida section, my bad ;)

I can't do an expungement, but I can seal my record.

Terminal Velocity

Hmmm... What about question #9?

--Are you currently under arrest or charged with any crime of violence?--

"You are not eligible for licensure if you are under arrest or currently charged with any felony, or crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year; or any crime of violence, including crimes of domestic violence;..."

Maybe that fight was considered a crime of violence.

We were charged for Trespassing.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Once you get that letter in the mail you will know for sure what the problem is and can address the issue. I see you are in Jax, we have an excellent lawyer there who is also a member of OCDO.

JeepSeller

Once you get that letter in the mail you will know for sure what the problem is and can address the issue. I see you are in Jax, we have an excellent lawyer there who is also a member of OCDO.

Agreed. You should get your letter any day now. It'll likely tell you what's up and what to do.

FWIW, based on similar issues I've observed, one scenario is that they just need you to get them a certified copy of any dispositions. Yea, they're the State of Florida, you'd think they would have access and could probably lay their hands on it easier and faster.....but, the State of Florida is lazy. LOL

Good luck, if what you say is your only concerns regarding your past, I've seen folks with worse issues get passed. But, that's my own personal observations, no where NEAR legal advice. If your letter doesn't help, lawyer up.

Oh yea, and, the background check for a purchase is not the same as the one for your CWFL. Different background checks run by different alphabet soup agencies. So, a difference isn't out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The answer to your delay was right there in your second post. Here' I'll repeat it for you:

A copy of the document issued by the court or probation office evidencing completion of probation or other conditions must be submitted with your application. Upon receipt of this documentation, your application will be further reviewed to determine your eligibility for licensure. If additional information is required, you will be notified in writing.
emphasis added.

It seems you submitted an incomplete application.

Stop whinging and go follow the directions. From what you have posted you meet the requirements. You just have not followed the instructions. Be glad they're not telling you to start all over and your original applicatio fee is forfiet.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
since you don't say your location, which is fine, you might try to post in General Discussion for help.

Good luck!

This is posted in the Florida sub-forum so it is logical to presume that is his location. Since the requirements pertaining to applications for permits is state specific, posting in General Discussion would just dilute the responses.

Skidmark seems to have identified the glitch.

RRobaldo

• a B.S. felony charge back in 97...
  • a Misdemeanor from 94 for getting into a fight ...
  • in 97 with the Felonies...
  • I have some other arrests...

Seems to me you've answered your question right there.
Your record is far from what I'd call "clear".
Not quite sure why you WOULDN'T expect to have to answer some more questions.

So just settle down, wait for the letter, and answer their questions. It's very likely that the felony charge(s) are what the hold up is.
Just provide the proper court documentation showing you weren't convicted and your permit will be on it's merry way.

Terminal Velocity

Yeah it should be an easy clear up, but I just wish I had know I had to include a court disposition. I wonder if I will need something from the Depart. of Corrections showing that my Probat has termed?

Can you PM lawyers name and/or info? Thanks Bro!

Agreed. You should get your letter any day now. It'll likely tell you what's up and what to do.

FWIW, based on similar issues I've observed, one scenario is that they just need you to get them a certified copy of any dispositions. Yea, they're the State of Florida, you'd think they would have access and could probably lay their hands on it easier and faster.....but, the State of Florida is lazy. LOL

Good luck, if what you say is your only concerns regarding your past, I've seen folks with worse issues get passed. But, that's my own personal observations, no where NEAR legal advice. If your letter doesn't help, lawyer up.

Oh yea, and, the background check for a purchase is not the same as the one for your CWFL. Different background checks run by different alphabet soup agencies. So, a difference isn't out of the ordinary.

It just sucks that I've waited this long, in some cases longer that those that submitted AFTER I did. And you're right, you would think that they had immediate access to all the info they need, but are too lazy to get it. Plus its their way to jack fees from us I guess.

Yeah, that's the only thing on my background that would give me issue; I don't think it too bad for someone who grew up on the streets of Miami. I was far from a nice guy at one time, but I never robbed old ladies, lol...

They should make buying a gun and getting a CCW an ALL-In-One deal... This multi-Department crap is B.S. If you can get a gun then you can get a CCW!

The answer to your delay was right there in your second post. Here' I'll repeat it for you:

emphasis added.

It seems you submitted an incomplete application.

Stop whinging and go follow the directions. From what you have posted you meet the requirements. You just have not followed the instructions. Be glad they're not telling you to start all over and your original applicatio fee is forfiet.

stay safe.

If I had known that I needed it, I would have included it. It's not like I don't have a copy in my records.

This is posted in the Florida sub-forum so it is logical to presume that is his location. Since the requirements pertaining to applications for permits is state specific, posting in General Discussion would just dilute the responses.

Skidmark seems to have identified the glitch.

Yep... Good'Ol Florida :rolleyes:

Seems to me you've answered your question right there.
Your record is far from what I'd call "clear".
Not quite sure why you WOULDN'T expect to have to answer some more questions.

So just settle down, wait for the letter, and answer their questions. It's very likely that the felony charge(s) are what the hold up is.
Just provide the proper court documentation showing you weren't convicted and your permit will be on it's merry way.

As I stated above, I wish I had known about including the disposition and I would have. It just sucks that this will now further delay the process.

77zach

This permit process is so funny. If you're not so dangerous that you can be allowed to remain free of prison, why say you can't be trusted with a carry license? If you can't be trusted with a gun, then you certainly should be in jail.

Our dumb world.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This permit process is so funny. If you're not so dangerous that you can be allowed to remain free of prison, why say you can't be trusted with a carry license? If you can't be trusted with a gun, then you certainly should be in jail.

Our dumb world.

No, he's OK. They just need to CYA with the disposition info on file to prove that he's really an OK guy per the rules as they are written.

Now for my patented, copyrighted and trademarked cure for his problem - go ahead and submit the paperwork NOW, with a cover letter telling them which application to attach it to. No need to wait on some letter telling him what to do.

And if the letter comes with other glitches to be cured, he's just a step ahead of the game anyhow.

stay safe.

j4l

"We were charged for Trespassing. "

Actually that alone can be enough to muck it all up for you.

Terminal Velocity

Our dumb world.

I agree with about 95% of that, lol... But yeah, they should have everything at their disposal to tell them all they need to know about me.

No, he's OK. They just need to CYA with the disposition info on file to prove that he's really an OK guy per the rules as they are written.

Now for my patented, copyrighted and trademarked cure for his problem - go ahead and submit the paperwork NOW, with a cover letter telling them which application to attach it to. No need to wait on some letter telling him what to do.

And if the letter comes with other glitches to be cured, he's just a step ahead of the game anyhow.

stay safe.

That's a good Idea! I'm sure I'll have the letter by Monday though.

I also talked to the local office here in JAX and the supervisor I talked to said when I get the letter that I can come see her. Hopefully this will cut some of the RED TAPE.

"We were charged for Trespassing. "

Actually that alone can be enough to muck it all up for you.

You really think a 3rd degree Misdemeanor, or what ever it is, will nullify your chances of getting a CWP!? I can't see a charge, where I paid a B.S. $75 fee, could keep me from a CWP, but this is Florida and anything goes... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

j4l

I agree with about 95% of that, lol... But yeah, they should have everything at their disposal to tell them all they need to know about me.

That's a good Idea! I'm sure I'll have the letter by Monday though.

I also talked to the local office here in JAX and the supervisor I talked to said when I get the letter that I can come see her. Hopefully this will cut some of the RED TAPE.

Its not about the level of the crime, or the fine paid/time served for it-its about the type of crime, and how a lot of folks reviewing applications view it in relation to what it says about you- the person. I've seen even more minor crimes muck folks up for even a Secret clearance app.

You really think a 3rd degree Misdemeanor, or what ever it is, will nullify your chances of getting a CWP!? I can't see a charge, where I paid a B.S. $75 fee, could keep me from a CWP, but this is Florida and anything goes... :rolleyes:

Its not about the level of the crime, or the fine paid/time served for it-its about the type of crime, and how a lot of folks reviewing applications view it in relation to what it says about you- the person. I've seen even more minor crimes muck folks up for even a Secret clearance app.