• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shoots dog story

bikemutt

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015938756_pitbull18m.html

"An Everett man shot and killed a neighbor's pit bull Wednesday morning after the dog reportedly charged him and his daughter outside their home, according to the Everett Police Department...The owner of the dog was informed of the dog's death. Investigators are looking into the shooting and will send their report to prosecutors to determine whether charges are warranted."

Will be interesting to see if they charge the shooter. The police spokesperson at least sounds like he sees this through the shooter's eyes, we shall see I guess.

bikemutt

Civil suits are always a risk.

For protection against attackers, human or pit bull, I carry a firearm.

For protection against "attackers" in court I carry insurance. Lots of it.

Excellent point concerning insurance. Generally, if one sources enough insurance needs with a single insurer, many will offer an "umbrella" policy. These umbrellas are usually for at least $1 million with an annual premium of around $200 or so. They strictly cover liability and I don't think they'll apply if criminal activity is involved.

In any event, I don't have anything to do with the insurance industry but I most certainly have an umbrella policy. Like most other forms of insurance, including a handgun, I hope to never file a claim :).

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I know the person in the article. The dog has been neighborhood nuisance and the owner has been cited for the dog several times. As soon as he allows me I will post more info.

Jeff Hayes

Excellent point concerning insurance. Generally, if one sources enough insurance needs with a single insurer, many will offer an "umbrella" policy. These umbrellas are usually for at least $1 million with an annual premium of around $200 or so. They strictly cover liability and I don't think they'll apply if criminal activity is involved.

In any event, I don't have anything to do with the insurance industry but I most certainly have an umbrella policy. Like most other forms of insurance, including a handgun, I hope to never file a claim :).

Most umbrella policys kick in at $500,000 so home owners, car, motorcycle insurance limits will all need to be raised in order for the umbrilla policy to be effective. I know my insurance company will not issue an umbrella policy unless they are covering everything, they made me move my MC policy and insure it to $500,000. My policy is for more than 1 mil and is less than $200 per year.

amzbrady

I bet there are liberal dog whisperers getting ready to rally, and say that he should have called the police, or animal control, instead of taking matters into his own hands. As far as I'm concerned Kudo's to him. Why let someone or something hold you hostage in your own home?

Bad breed, Irresponsible owner, or both? Anyway you look at it, that dog will never charge again, his check has been cashed.

Thing I hate is when people defend the breed, "My dogs are so nice" yea all of them are until the FIRST time they attack, duh.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4411838....TkVUrCAtQ9Y.like&fb_source=profile_multiline

Trigger Dr

I will always remember the words of the owner of the 2 pits that attacked me. As I was being treated in the ER, the owner came in to see if all was OK. His famous words...."They just wanted to play"

hermannr

Any dog on my property, threating my family, myself, or any legal guest...is a dead dog. That includes any dog I may own, any stray, or any neighbors dog.

I don't care about the breed, there are no inherently "bad" dogs, or bad breeds. There are however, many bad dog owners. Our neighbor has a pit bull I would not want to tangle with,,,however, I will never have the problem. The owner has trained the dog properly. Our second daughter had a pit bull, only person it ever bit (or even threatened) was a burgler that broke into their house when they were at work...again, properly trained.

Personally I prefer Dobermanns, and my wife prefers Dachshunds...Statistically, you are much more likely to be bit by that Dachshund.

All that said, it is the neighbor's responsibility to keep his dog under control. If he doesn't he will have to endure the cost (loss of his dog, or suit for an animal bite, and then loss of his dog via the court.)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Any dog on my property, threating my family, myself, or any legal guest...is a dead dog. That includes any dog I may own, any stray, or any neighbors dog.

I don't care about the breed, there are no inherently "bad" dogs, or bad breeds. There are however, many bad dog owners. Our neighbor has a pit bull I would not want to tangle with,,,however, I will never have the problem. The owner has trained the dog properly. Our second daughter had a pit bull, only person it ever bit (or even threatened) was a burgler that broke into their house when they were at work...again, properly trained.

Personally I prefer Dobermanns, and my wife prefers Dachshunds...Statistically, you are much more likely to be bit by that Dachshund.

All that said, it is the neighbor's responsibility to keep his dog under control. If he doesn't he will have to endure the cost (loss of his dog, or suit for an animal bite, and then loss of his dog via the court.)

I concur with you and take it one step farther, Any dog, threatening my family, myself, or any legal guest...is a dead dog.

amzbrady

I concur with you and take it one step farther, Any dog, threatening my family, myself, or any legal guest...is a dead dog.

Yes there have been more people bitten by small dogs than by Pitts. I think chiwawa's top the list probably 100 to one on a ratio of bites. but I think Pits outnumber any dog on deadly attacks. I don’t think I have ever heard of a chiwawa mauling a person to death. there is a difference. between a bite, and a viscous attack resulting in a dog killing a person. I could drop kick a chiwawa thru the uprights, I wouldn’t stand a chance against a pit bull

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Yes there have been more people bitten by small dogs than by Pitts. I think chiwawa's top the list probably 100 to one on a ratio of bites. but I think Pits outnumber any dog on deadly attacks. I don’t think I have ever heard of a chiwawa mauling a person to death. there is a difference. between a bite, and a viscous attack resulting in a dog killing a person. I could drop kick a chiwawa thru the uprights, I wouldn’t stand a chance against a pit bull

I would not consider a kitten or a Chihuahua as threatening, how about you? Thus why I stated Any dog threatening my family, myself or any legal guest.

I know, I know you are just being nit picky and not really adding to the discussion. :p

Last edited: