• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long gun question

Status
Not open for further replies.

derhammer

In my state, I can carry a long gun in a vehicle unloaded at my age, but not a pistol. Therefore, I claim exemption to the no long gun discussion rule for this thread (since I obviously can't walk everywhere). If the mods disagree, feel free to delete it.

Before I even start, I really don't care to hear about why I shouldn't do this, so please keep it to yourself. You're not going to dissuade me, you're only going to waste your time and mine.

That said, I am getting, I hope, an AK-47 soon, and because of what I said in italics above, if I want to be armed (which I damn well do), I'll have to carry that (the only way I can carry a pistol is if my ma gets her license, gifts me a pistol, and holds on to it in the car, so I would do that, but this is for when I'm out alone and/or before I have my pistol and she has her license).

My question to you all is, since the AK-47 is "the evil gun," if the police want ID, should I give it to them? We mostly decline ID as open carriers, but then again, most of us are carrying innocuous handguns, not the dreaded AK. While it would be my right to decline, I am wondering if, maybe as a courtesy, just to not be a complete ass, I should consent to ID, at least the first few times in my town (after which everyone should know about me so they shouldn't even need ID anymore). Thoughts?

-derhammer

Last edited:

derhammer

Wow. 55 views and no one's willing to help me? Really? Come on, I know long gun carry is generally a crappy idea, and I agree, I hate it, but blame the state, not me. It's that or be disarmed, as I explained. Is no one really going to help me decide how best to not screw this up? Should I walk around utterly defenseless against violence instead?

-derhammer

derhammer

Read your state's statutes and decide for yourself. Good luck.

Well that's a big help. I already said in the initial post that I know I am not required to provide ID without RAS in this state. I was asking for opinions on whether I SHOULD because of the weapon and the image it creates.

-derhammer

Fallschirjmäger

Well that's a big help. I already said in the initial post that I know I am not required to provide ID without RAS in this state. I was asking for opinions on whether I SHOULD because of the weapon and the image it creates.
-derhammer
It's not our place to make such a personal decision for you. Only you can weigh the benefits of being protected against the downside of possibly causing unwarranted alarm and having the police respond to what should be a non-incident.

Are you prepared to go unprepared?
Are you willing to stand up for yourself the first time the cops show up? Are you willing to possibly hear "We're gonna do this every time we get a call"?

Someone on here posted that the police think nothing's funner than a MWAG call. Are you willing to play their game? Are you willing to win?

OC for ME

Well, if you are worried about what other folks think of your lawful behavior then it is not really a question regarding your 2A right but a question regarding how comfortable you are with what other people think about your lawful behavior.....especially what LE thinks of your lawful behavior.

Buy a digital recorder. Good luck and stay safe.

derhammer

Oh I really, really hate age related comments. Definitely it's so relevant, cause people much older than me have NEVER open carried AKs. Keep your sarcastic and useless comments to yourself, please.

To the others, I know it's my decision, but it is so wrong to ask for opinions? If it were a handgun I would definitely not provide ID, and as I mentioned in the other thread, I really don't want my name associated with owning a "battle rifle" on a police report. I guess I will not provide ID to them then.

-derhammer

derhammer

Anyway I think I'm going with an AR-15 instead so it's a non-issue. I'm not showing ID for the "good guy gun."

-derhammer

Frantic84

Anyway I think I'm going with an AR-15 instead so it's a non-issue. I'm not showing ID for the "good guy gun."

-derhammer
my 2 Cents

the type of gun would not matter especially since the anti-s wont and don't know the difference. I say It's alright not to present ID. . . but this can change from incident to incident Depending on how LEO wants to play the game. Its about how you present yourself if you are confident, polite and record everything things should be fine.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Wow. 55 views and no one's willing to help me?

You said to keep it to yourself ! While I fully support the carry of long guns; its just not practical -- there are certain times which you may wish to but as an alternate to a handgun carry, its much harder.

Last edited:

derhammer

Believe me, I have no more desire to walk around with a long hunk of metal over my shoulder than you all do to see me do it, but I'm sure most would agree that it's better than being disarmed.

In any case, it looks like I may be stuck moving to New Jersey for a while, so by the time I get back to a free state, I may well be old enough to just buy and carry a handgun anyway... hope not, but, what can you do...

-derhammer

Tanner

The law is the law is the law. Why would you not show ID if OCing a pistol because you dont have to but show a ID with OCing a long gun even though you dont have to? This seems based entirely on the perception sheople have of your legal activity. I know you rather OC a pistol but since you cant you schould OC anyway you can and OC with the same confidense. If your wrongfully arrested then your recorder will save your rear. My advice. DO NOT OC this way without a recorder. You will most likely be hurassed much more than the typical OCer. Any body agree dissagree?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OCDO Rule Violation

• (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.