• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stolen Guns Recovered, Taken by Police as Evidence!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
How much say does the victim of the crime have in what punishment the boys get? It seems to me that it would be the judges decision. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It's up to the Judge if the Victim gets to speak other than testify to the facts....but the crime is against the Commonwealth, not the Victim.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's up to the Judge if the Victim gets to speak other than testify to the facts....but the crime is against the Commonwealth, not the Victim.

Actually, the victim can submit a Victim Impact Statement. Discuss doing so with the juvenile probation officer, and be insistent if necessary. Again, if I were submitting such I would put emphasis on the initial aprehension for what they might have done with the stolen weapons (yes, use that word) and the apprehension I continue to live with based on their prior criminal and drug abuse record as it has been made known to you by their parents and other children in the neighborhood (again, yes, use those words).

Even if the juvenie probation officer tells your father he cannot submit a Victim Impact Statement (wrong, but it might happen) he can walk into the Clerk's Office and hand-deliver one. All he needs to know is the yute's name - and he should already have that and the case number based on the subpeona for witness the Commonwealth issued (they did issue them, didn't they?).

stay safe.

Esanders2008

Actually, the victim can submit a Victim Impact Statement. Discuss doing so with the juvenile probation officer, and be insistent if necessary. Again, if I were submitting such I would put emphasis on the initial aprehension for what they might have done with the stolen weapons (yes, use that word) and the apprehension I continue to live with based on their prior criminal and drug abuse record as it has been made known to you by their parents and other children in the neighborhood (again, yes, use those words).

Even if the juvenie probation officer tells your father he cannot submit a Victim Impact Statement (wrong, but it might happen) he can walk into the Clerk's Office and hand-deliver one. All he needs to know is the yute's name - and he should already have that and the case number based on the subpeona for witness the Commonwealth issued (they did issue them, didn't they?).

stay safe.

That seems like a legitimate course of action. Although, as I previously stated, my father hasn't incurred any financial problems, he was very upset. I will probably write one for him ;)

Esanders2008

UPDATE

So my father got a letter in the mail today from the Commonwealth Attorney's office. They want my father and brother as witnesses in court on December 6th. We still don't know exactly what the boys were charged with, but their mom says Grand Larceny and B&E.

I'll keep you guys posted!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you have their names you can get the charges from the Clerk's office - you can also find out if this will be a trial in juvie or a dispositional hearing to transfer them to adult court.

You keep saying your dad has had no financial damages but you never mention the gun safe he went out and bought or the added security (even if was just those magnetic switch window alarms) system he added for the area where he put the gun safe. Also, you never mention the emotional pain your dad has and continued to endure, the strain in his relation ship with his wife and you and your younger brother, and the general anxiety he feels because he can no longer fully trust his younger/est son.

Did I miss anything?

It's not all about dollars when totaling up losses. These two thugettes have traumatized your dad, his family, and the whole neighborhood. If he can't get money then let him get retribution.

stay safe.

Esanders2008

If you have their names you can get the charges from the Clerk's office - you can also find out if this will be a trial in juvie or a dispositional hearing to transfer them to adult court.

You keep saying your dad has had no financial damages but you never mention the gun safe he went out and bought or the added security (even if was just those magnetic switch window alarms) system he added for the area where he put the gun safe. Also, you never mention the emotional pain your dad has and continued to endure, the strain in his relation ship with his wife and you and your younger brother, and the general anxiety he feels because he can no longer fully trust his younger/est son.

Did I miss anything?

It's not all about dollars when totaling up losses. These two thugettes have traumatized your dad, his family, and the whole neighborhood. If he can't get money then let him get retribution.

stay safe.

I just forwarded your post to my Dad via email. I'm hoping he will bring it up.