• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recently was on the light rail....

rlacsamana1989

I don't know if this has been talked about, but I was recently on the light rail train and was concealing. On the ride however I saw that there was a sign that actually said no firearms or weapons, I know on metro and other public transit I've road it has said no illegal weapons allowed.

My question is, since this is pubic transit, are they in the wrong for that one?

skeith5

I've ridden light rail several times and have noticed the signs. On Sound Transit's website it says "No unlawful weapons or firearms." I'm lawfully carrying so I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Scott

rlacsamana1989

Yeah that is the actual text I meant, but couldn't remember it word for word.

I'm just thinking, if you got comforted that would just be a factor to deal with when someone uneducated points out to maybe a conductor or guard in the tunnels. lol

Metalhead47

Serial misinformation as Gogo likes to say. That's their little way to feel good about themselves by "discouraging" carry (but only by LAC of course) while stopping just short of actually violating .300.

Y'know, cuz an armed thug with an illegally carried weapon and bad intentions would NEVER disobey a mere sign... <facepalm>

lockman

State Researcher
I've ridden light rail several times and have noticed the signs. On Sound Transit's website it says "No unlawful weapons or firearms." I'm lawfully carrying so I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Scott

Since firearms are considered weapons the statement is either redundant or means "unlawful weapons" OR "firearms", which would be legal or illegal.

TheGunMan

I dont Agree

Since firearms are considered weapons the statement is either redundant or means "unlawful weapons" OR "firearms", which would be legal or illegal.

I dont think I agree with this statement. The firearms I carry are legal.
Am I reading it correct?

Metalhead47

Am I reading it correct?

Light rail is a govt entity in this state, therefore it's covered by the preemption statute. Not only is it legal to carry on the link (with cpl of course) but they cannot prohibit you from carrying either. They like to word it as they did in order to confuse people and thereby discourage lawful carry while remaining within the law. Gives them a warm fuzzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Serial misinformation as Gogo likes to say. That's their little way to feel good about themselves by "discouraging" carry (but only by LAC of course) while stopping just short of actually violating .300.

Y'know, cuz an armed thug with an illegally carried weapon and bad intentions would NEVER disobey a mere sign... <facepalm>

We have a winner....

Yes, the government is involved in a campaign to provided misinformation to discourage citizens from lawful carry. So are others....

lockman

State Researcher
Am I reading it correct?

No illegal drugs or Oxycontin.

Does the above ban persons with a prescription for Oxycontin? Why would you even mention Oxycontin if the former covers the entire field of illegal drugs?
It is just a funny way of putting it if the intention was not to prohibit or discourage legal firearms.

Grim_Night

Scott

I think what it's suppose to mean is "No unlawful weapons (meaning knives, swords or whatever) or "unlawful" firearms". Honestly, it would have just been easier to say "No unlawful weapons." and been done with it. "No unlawful weapons or firearms." is a bit redundant.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
I think what it's suppose to mean is "No unlawful weapons (meaning knives, swords or whatever) or "unlawful" firearms". Honestly, it would have just been easier to say "No unlawful weapons." and been done with it. "No unlawful weapons or firearms." is a bit redundant.

The simplest would be:

No unlawful______________(fill in the blank).

Or,

No unlawful anything.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Light rail is a govt entity in this state, therefore it's covered by the preemption statute. Not only is it legal to carry on the link (with cpl of course) but they cannot prohibit you from carrying either. They like to word it as they did in order to confuse people and thereby discourage lawful carry while remaining within the law. Gives them a warm fuzzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly the signage is telling people not to bring firearms onto the train. I think that's enough to say they are violating the law.

Metalhead47

Clearly the signage is telling people not to bring firearms onto the train. I think that's enough to say they are violating the law.

And yet, as I said before, the wording is ambiguous enough (and it's not enforced) that it stops short of violating the law. That's what the lawyers will say anyway. It's a simple policy, not a law after all, so semantics aren't so absolute.

Once again, serial misinformation.

Tawnos

And yet, as I said before, the wording is ambiguous enough

The wording on the train is in no way ambiguous. I have a picture of the sign I can upload later. It says "no firearms or weapons", there is nothing about unlawful, illegal, etc.

Last edited:

Lord Sega

They need to replace the sign with one that is less confusing and more to the point...

Warning to all passengers:
It is against the law to break the law.
Don't make us pass more laws that you shouldn't break.

/sarcasm

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
This is from the Sound Transit Website: http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Guide/Getting-started/Rules-for-riding.xml

• No hazardous, explosive or corrosive materials.
  • No unlawful weapons or firearms.
  • No soliciting.

Note: I've only included the portion that addresses firearms, plus the one immediately before and immediately after.

This tells me that, since my weapons are legal and so am I, that I can ride with impunity. Of course, WE all know that any attempt on their part to prevent us illegal.

Last edited:

Tawnos

This is from the Sound Transit Website: http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Guide/Getting-started/Rules-for-riding.xml

• No hazardous, explosive or corrosive materials.
  • No unlawful weapons or firearms.
  • No soliciting.

Note: I've only included the portion that addresses firearms, plus the one immediately before and immediately after.

This tells me that, since my weapons are legal and so am I, that I can ride with impunity. Of course, WE all know that any attempt on their part to prevent us illegal.

The problem is that they have different rules posted in the trains, which can lead to confusion and unnecessary/illegal detainment by an under-informed officer.

skeith5

Sound Transit's OFFICIAL response!

Here is ST's official response... It is interesting she specifically made reference to open-carrying... If anyone would like me to forward them the e-mail to print out and carry with you (If you ride Sound Transit) then PM me your e-mail address.

Thank you for contacting Sound Transit Keith.
Weapons are allowed by those who are legally permitted to carry. We prefer those folks to carry concealed and discourage open carry as we are still technically a vehicle.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Denene Dean

Sound Transit
401 South Jackson St.
Seattle, WA 98104
denene.dean@soundtransit.org
Desk 206.398.5265

Last edited: