• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama Re-election Good News for Virginia Gun Owners?

VApatriot

Here's a fun fact worth noting: Going back all the way to 1977, the Virginia gubernatorial election has gone to the party that did not win the Presidency the year before. If this trend holds, the Republican candidate will win the race for governor next year. The state level is where all the real action is happening on gun laws, and a Republican governor will do us a hell-of-a-lot more good than a Rino president would have. Sure, Obama is no friend of gun owners (particularly when it comes to the Supreme Court), but the Republican controlled House isn't going to let a new AWB or similar bill pass in Congress over the next four years.

So, if you're feeling down about yesterday's elections, practice saying "Governor Cuccinelli." It might make you feel a little better.

Shoobee

Here's a fun fact worth noting: Going back all the way to 1977, the Virginia gubernatorial election has gone to the party that did not win the Presidency the year before. If this trend holds, the Republican candidate will win the race for governor next year. The state level is where all the real action is happening on gun laws, and a Republican governor will do us a hell-of-a-lot more good than a Rino president would have. Sure, Obama is no friend of gun owners (particularly when it comes to the Supreme Court), but the Republican controlled House isn't going to let a new AWB or similar bill pass in Congress over the next four years.

So, if you're feeling down about yesterday's elections, practice saying "Governor Cuccinelli." It might make you feel a little better.

If you are feeling down about yesterday's national elections, just send your donation to the NRA.

They can probably use it wisely for you.

If you are truly worried about an AWB then the NRA is your only hope left, if you are truly scared and shaking in your boots.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you are feeling down about yesterday's national elections, just send your donation to the NRA.

If you are truly worried about an AWB then the NRA is your only hope left, if you are truly scared and shaking in your boots.

Thanks Shoobee, I needed a good laugh today!:lol:

Shoobee

Two years I could believe. No telling who will control the house after that....

Roscoe

You are quite smart and quite correct Roscoe.

If Boehner continues to obstruct Congress he and his party could be booted out of the US House by the voters in 2014.

2014 could go either way. The DNC has a lot of momentum at the moment, and since Boehner's stated intent to get "this president" unseated has now obviously failed in a really big way, hopefully Boehner will now be seen as what he truly is -- strictly obstructionist.

On the other hand, a Congress that does nothing is not necessarily a bad thing.

No new legislation simply means we will all be safe for awhile.

Either way, Boehner now loses. Either way, Boehner gets nothing that he wants (more extended tax cuts for the rich) unless HE compromises.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Seriously, anybody truly paranoid about an AWB should just send a check to the NRA.

It's that or spend your money on Prozac.

You need to do a little research on the NRA's stance on assault weapons. That's like saying VCDL will protect hunting weapons.

The NRA sold everyone down the river over the AWB.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Since there is a rule about bad-mouthing other gun organizations, and some folks seem to feel that thery hold the belief that telling the truth when it is not all rosy and positive is badmouthing, I will not say anything about the NRA.

Cuccinelli is no friend of gun rights. At best he is not an outright enemy - most of the time. This http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions and Legal Resources/Opinions/2010opns/10-009-Greason.pdf is going to take a lot to be forgiven. He has the time to do it, but I am not willing to hold my breath waiting to see if he will correct anything.

He has had several occassions when he could have opined that Boards of Governors were not given authority by the General Assembly to delve into establishing rules about guns on campus that extend beyond students, staff and faculty. Anybody recall the exact words he used on that matter?

stay safe.

Shoobee

You need to do a little research on the NRA's stance on assault weapons. That's like saying VCDL will protect hunting weapons.

The NRA sold everyone down the river over the AWB.

The NRA hunted down and killed [politically] every Congressman or Senator who voted for the last AWB.

And thus it ripped power from the Demo's cold dead hands and gave it to the Repub's instead. Also spawning Newt Gingrich.

So I do not get what you are talking about.

The NRA has been true to their colors.

If you want to disagree you need to present more factual evidence.

Last edited:

crazydude6030

You do realize that they went all out after Obama and couldnt beat him. It wasnt even close.

Thundar

Screwed by the Cooch

Since there is a rule about bad-mouthing other gun organizations, and some folks seem to feel that thery hold the belief that telling the truth when it is not all rosy and positive is badmouthing, I will not say anything about the NRA.

Cuccinelli is no friend of gun rights. At best he is not an outright enemy - most of the time. This http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions and Legal Resources/Opinions/2010opns/10-009-Greason.pdf is going to take a lot to be forgiven. He has the time to do it, but I am not willing to hold my breath waiting to see if he will correct anything.

He has had several occassions when he could have opined that Boards of Governors were not given authority by the General Assembly to delve into establishing rules about guns on campus that extend beyond students, staff and faculty. Anybody recall the exact words he used on that matter?

stay safe.

Skid,

I am confused, are we talking about pro-gun groups or are we talking about the NRA?

You are 100% right about the Cooch.

The Cooch is much more interested in appealing to the sheeple of occupied Northern Virginia than he is about supporting self executing rights. He wants to be the next guv'na, as Toll Booth Bob is almost done.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

sparkman2

I heard a fun fact too. If the Washington Redskins lost the home game before a presidential election, the incumbent would be removed from office. That was a streak that went from 1936 until 2004 when the Packers beat the Redskins and G.W. Bush was re-elected. Most recently last night. Think the POTUS can't affect guns laws?
What do you think about this?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-arms-treaty-un-idUSBRE8A627J20121107

VApatriot

I heard a fun fact too. If the Washington Redskins lost the home game before a presidential election, the incumbent would be removed from office. That was a streak that went from 1936 until 2004 when the Packers beat the Redskins and G.W. Bush was re-elected. Most recently last night. Think the POTUS can't affect guns laws?
What do you think about this?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-arms-treaty-un-idUSBRE8A627J20121107

I remember that fact, and I also remember cheering for my Packers in that 2004 game anyway.

I'm not saying that the president-governor thing is a 100% guarantee, but I put a lot more faith in this trend than in a random coincidence. Connections between national and state politics are really things that have influence on results. Football, not so much.

2a4all

Here's a few points to consider.

I stopped by my still congressman's (Rob Wittman) local office today, and talked with one of his staffers.

It isn't likely that an AWB will rear its ugly head this (2 yr) term, but a budget will (in the House, anyway). The Cooch will likely be the next republican gubernatorial candidate, and McDonald will run for Warner's seat in the Senate in 2014. However, watch out for Nancy Pelosi. While she's not Speaker, she's still angling for another shot at the job (in two years). If the Dems take the house, she'll no doubt achieve that, and then we'll see an AWB.

We might see attempts to impose special (excise) taxes on firearms related purchases. Given the dire need of the government to raise revenue, this could be a bargaining chip that could be played by either side. (The Repub's offer it to placate the end of the Bush tax cuts, the Dem's offer it to "shore up" the social safety nets.)

Another threat comes from the courts.

And of course, Executive Orders can play a big role. Obama can order the BATFE to make life miserable for FFLs and their customers.

I've been Gerrymandered out of Wittman's district into Scott Rigell's effective with the convening of the new Congress on Jan 3rd.

Hide and watch.

sparkman2

I remember that fact, and I also remember cheering for my Packers in that 2004 game anyway.

I'm not saying that the president-governor thing is a 100% guarantee, but I put a lot more faith in this trend than in a random coincidence. Connections between national and state politics are really things that have influence on results. Football, not so much.

I know what you mean. Having been born in Wausau WI, I was in a dilemma on rooting for the Packers or the Redskins so I chose the Packskins. :lol:

45acpForMe

My fear isn't a short term AWB or even a attempt at a permanent one that could be overturned with a new congress/president. I fear that Obummer gets to appoint 1-3 Supreme Court Justices over the next term and they will have 40 years to rule/reign destroying freedom! One liberal is planned to retire but some others will be 80 by the end of his term so if old age or any other unfortunate accident stops a more conservative justice from waiting for a better president before retiring we are SCREWED. How long do you think it will take for a case to be shot through the legal system up to the supreme court to overturn McDonald and decide that the 2A really is just for the active military?!?!?