• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave firearms in car at La Bonita

Ninja Shooter

We had our first negative encounter at La Bonita on flamingo and rainbow. When we enter the store there were no sign on the doors (regardless if there was we would have gone in) we passed at least half a dozen employees if not more, and none mentioned anything. I was picking up meat and it was our last item, as the employee reached out to handed to me he saw that I was carrying. He told me that guns were not allowed at the store that I needed to leave it in the car. My response to him was "no problem I will just leave the store and not purchase anything". His face just dropped as I had about $100 worth groceries in the cart. He proceeded to tell me right away "ok no problem just finish your shopping, we used to have a big sign up front that said no guns allowed but something happened so it was taken down". At that moment we walked up to the front and asked for a manager. The manager came up and I asked her if they had any policies against firearms. She told me the same thing "yes but we took down the sign for some reason but you cant be in here with that gun". I told her that it was fine that I respected their views but I was not about to purchace my groceries from an anti gun market. The look on her face was priceless when she saw the cart full of product that we were leaving behind, close to $100 worth. She told me to hold on that she was going to get her regional manager. At that moment I told her to not worry we respected their views to not let people protect themselves in their store and we walked out leaving the cart full of groceries.

This was our second time there, first while carrying. We did not see a no gun sign when we went back in January for Dia de Los Reyes to get bread, and it is now April, so the sign must have been down a while if there was ever one posted. Funny to note though they don't allow you to carry bags of any kind either as posted on the door yet everyone had their backpacks/purses/ other types of bags while shopping.

We ended up spending over $100 at Cardenas where our firearms are welcome, few other Mexican markets to try to see who else is anti gun. Should be interesting.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I had a similar issue at a bank. I suggested that they check the balance in my account to see if they could cash my account out. Seems as if money does make a difference. Apologies from several folks & I never had another problem.

Charles CZ75B

Regardless of what you did in that situation, you should respect any signage posted on the doors out of respect for the owners of said property. My view is no firearms I just find a different place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

notalawyer

Regardless of what you did in that situation, you should respect any signage posted on the doors out of respect for the owners of said property. My view is no firearms I just find a different place.

:uhoh:

Any signage?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...you should respect any signage posted on the doors out of respect for the owners of said property. My view is no firearms I just find a different place. ...

While I agree with this principle, you should not stop at doors and look for signs, either. If I happen to already know of an anti-carry policy, I will shop accordingly, but I will not go out of my way to find out about it.

Rusty Young Man

While I agree with this principle, you should not stop at doors and look for signs, either. If I happen to already know of an anti-carry policy, I will shop accordingly, but I will not go out of my way to find out about it.

I'll do a glance-over of the doors, but don't go out of my way to look for signs. I do my best to respect the wishes of establishments who've decided to make themselves easy targets.

As to places I KNOW are anti or know to be posted: ask me if I've stepped foot in another Cost... that-wholesale-store-whose-name-must-not-be-uttered :)lol:), or how often I've gone back to Pro's Ranch Markets to order some of those delicious, crunchy, spicy shrimp.
Every time I see one of their ads, I miss that shrimp...:cry:

@Ninja Shooter: You handled it admirably well, and you never mentioned signs (a big no-no, and unspoken rule here).
You get a dancing monkey::monkey Here's one for CraftyMommy: :monkey

Last edited:

2AFriendly

That's my feeling as well. Even if it's legal to walk past a sign, I won't give them my business.

To the OP - love the story! It's nice when you see the message really hit home.

garand_guy

As to places I KNOW are anti or know to be posted: ask me if I've stepped foot in another Cost... that-wholesale-store-whose-name-must-not-be-uttered :)lol:)

I plan on CCing there just to know I'm secretly getting their goat. I don't think big faceless corporations should be able to tell me what I can and can't do with my rights.

Rusty Young Man

I'll do a glance-over of the doors, but don't go out of my way to look for signs. I do my best to respect the wishes of establishments who've decided to make themselves easy targets.

As to places I KNOW are anti or know to be posted: ask me if I've stepped foot in another Cost... that-wholesale-store-whose-name-must-not-be-uttered :)lol:)

I plan on CCing there just to know I'm secretly getting their goat. I don't think big faceless corporations should be able to tell me what I can and can't do with my rights.

It's a property Rights issue: you're on their private property and have the choice of shopping elsewhere.

Rusty Young Man

i thought mexicans loved firearms?

From what I have seen:
This side of the border, the TV and radio stations bombard the citizens with anti-gun propaganda, and may believe it.
dontknow.gif

On the other side of the border the people are also bombarder by anti-gun propaganda, but deep-down know they are defenseless because guns are still used violently by criminals, politicians and cartels (but I repeat myself several times over).
Case in point: look at the militia movements that cropped up (notably in the state of Guerrero), as well as the swift reduction in cartel influence and killings in the area.
Then look at the government response to such effective action by the citizenry.
facepalm.gif

Last edited:

Craftymommy

There were no signs(I checked) and the employee and manager we spoke with both said they used to have signs but took them down. Either way not going there, we will stick to Cardenas! I didn't like the vibe of the store anyway:) It has been our only negative encounter so far( well aside from my liberal hoplophobic sister on Easter but I won't go into that). I will respect a sign if I see it, which is why I check but a sign holds no legal grounds so it doesn't matter unless you refuse to leave the property when asked. We were not even asked to leave, just to put our firearms in the car and they are safer on our body than locked in the car so no thanks!

Bernymac

I may have to visit them just so I can reinforce the "no guns, no business" motto. :uhoh:

And speaking of La Bonita...are there any carnecerias or other mercados near the Centennial Hills area???

Last edited:

Craftymommy

I may have to visit them just so I can reinforce the "no guns, no business" motto. :uhoh:

And speaking of La Bonita...are there any carnecerias or other mercados near the Centennial Hills area???

I only know of Cardenas off Decatur and meadows lane I think, by the 95. We are looking for a good stand alone carniceria though but haven't ventured out to explore much since Cardenas always has great meat and I love their marinade.