• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mens only and womens only restrooms now illegal in Houston

davidmcbeth

Banned
ROFL ... this is what they waste their time on?

Now you'll have guys arrested looking at little girls in the bathroom ....

They will come.

This law will have such an outcry that even the Pharaoh himself will change his own law.

cjohnson44546

This is an equal rights ordinance... restroom use is one minor part of the ordinance to protect people from discrimination. The only people who seem to be against it are those living in fear thinking transgender people are somehow predators and going to kill their spouse and children.

sudden valley gunner

In the men's room no one really looks anyway.......unwritten code.

I really don't have a problem with it. Someone relieving themselves isn't a turn on.........

countryclubjoe

Not sure what this issue has to do with OC, however I will weigh in.

This ordinance is a Grand Slam for flashers, pedophiles, and all sexual deviates.

There is zero up side to this ordinance.. I would think the good folks of Houston have more important issues to address.

My .02

CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned

This ordinance is a Grand Slam for flashers, pedophiles, and all sexual deviates.

There is zero up side to this ordinance.. I would think the good folks of Houston have more important issues to address.

My .02

CCJ

Bingo !

cjohnson44546

My .02

CCJ

you have no idea what you are talking about.

This ordinance has NOTHING to do with letting everyone use any restroom they want... thats just how its spun in the media for an affect. This bill is about equal rights and treatment between different types of people. Go read the actual text, as it never even mentions restrooms. Its just as bad as listening to the media about how guns are bad and people shouldn't OC either. Stop taking news outlets word for everything.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

you have no idea what you are talking about.

This ordinance has NOTHING to do with letting everyone use any restroom they want... thats just how its spun in the media for an affect. This bill is about equal rights and treatment between different types of people. Go read the actual text, as it never even mentions restrooms. Its just as bad as listening to the media about how guns are bad and people shouldn't OC either. Stop taking news outlets word for everything.

I can only comment on the video posted by the OP, hence my post.
Please explain the term " different types of people" if you will.
Regards

CCJ

cjohnson44546

I can only comment on the video posted by the OP, hence my post.
Please explain the term " different types of people" if you will.
Regards

CCJ

Its to prevent discrimination based on sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, familial status, martial status, military status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or pregnancy... in city employment, city services, city contracting practices, housing, public accommodations, and private employment.... as well as some other stuff stated in the bill.

The media is spinning this as something bad, when its just equal rights, and a great thing.

countryclubjoe

Its to prevent discrimination based on sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, familial status, martial status, military status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or pregnancy... in city employment, city services, city contracting practices, housing, public accommodations, and private employment.... as well as some other stuff stated in the bill.

The media is spinning this as something bad, when its just equal rights, and a great thing.

The 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments of The US Constitution guarantees the rights against the discrimination that you referenced.

Why does Houston need an additional ordinance to preserve rights already established under the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendment of the Constitution?

If someone feels their rights are being violated there are legal remedies for redress under current civil rights laws and under the Constitution.

Regarding the rest rooms issue, I stand corrected, I did not see any mention on the topic after further due diligence.

Thank you for you're reply.

CCJ

hhofent

This is ridiculous. Boys and girls are different. Get over it.

Sent from an unspecified mobile phone using unspecified software.

SFCRetired

While I did not find those words in that document, I did read of some cases nationwide concerning children who identified with an opposite gender seeking to use the restroom of that gender. I found cases in Maine, Colorado, and Georgia; some involving children as young as six years old.

Personal opinion: If you still have the equipment you were born with, use the restroom for those similarly equipped. If and when you have a modification work order installed, then you may use the restroom associated with your new gender.

MKEgal

SFCRetired said:
Personal opinion: If you still have the equipment you were born with, use the restroom for those similarly equipped. If and when you have a modification work order installed, then you may use the restroom associated with your new gender.
Makes sense.
And if you're cross-dressing before the operation, use the family restroom.

cjohnson44546 said:
Its to prevent discrimination ... in city employment, city services, city contracting practices, housing, public accommodations, and private employment ... as well as some other stuff stated in the bill.
Such as restrooms and locker rooms and changing rooms, places where people have a reasonable expectation that everyone there is the same sex. (IOW, everyone in the men's room has male parts, and everyone in the women's room has female parts.)

cjohnson44546 said:
The only people who seem to be against it are those living in fear thinking transgender people are somehow predators and going to kill their spouse and children.
No, those poor confused people are so rare, and already are covered by federal laws (such as those covering discrimination based on a mental health disability), that individual city or state laws aren't needed.
But ordinances like this one open the way for predators - all a man has to do is claim he thinks he's a woman, and under this law anyone who prevents him from entering a women's restroom or locker room is subject to a fine.

According to this article...:
The measure bans discrimination based not just on sexual orientation and gender identity but also, as federal laws do, sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, pregnancy and genetic information, as well as family, marital or military status.
The ordinance applies to businesses that serve the public, private employers, housing, city employment and city contracting. Religious institutions are exempt. Violators could be fined up to $5,000.

countryclubjoe

This ordinance will also force Government agency's and local business to add another rest room. IE, Men's room, Woman's room, unisex room.

More cost to business and tax payers..

My .02

CCJ

sudden valley gunner

This ordinance will also force Government agency's and local business to add another rest room. IE, Men's room, Woman's room, unisex room.

More cost to business and tax payers..

My .02

CCJ

Too bad the state feels they need to be involved in how a business runs their private business (pun a happy accident, oh another pun not on purpose).

cjohnson44546

The 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments of The US Constitution guarantees the rights against the discrimination that you referenced.

Why does Houston need an additional ordinance to preserve rights already established under the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendment of the Constitution?

If someone feels their rights are being violated there are legal remedies for redress under current civil rights laws and under the Constitution.
Sadly those amendments do NOT cover everything in this ordinance...

Makes sense.
And if you're cross-dressing before the operation, use the family restroom.
doesn't exist in most places...

Such as restrooms and locker rooms and changing rooms, places where people have a reasonable expectation that everyone there is the same sex. (IOW, everyone in the men's room has male parts, and everyone in the women's room has female parts.)
why would you assume that? Why does it matter? Places that have unisex restrooms don't really have any higher rate of crimes happening... its just something some people are not used to... so they get upset. Just like people seeing someone open carrying and calls 911 to report a man with a gun... they have some fear that something they aren't used to is going to hurt them or someone else.

No, those poor confused people are so rare, and already are covered by federal laws (such as those covering discrimination based on a mental health disability), that individual city or state laws aren't needed.
But ordinances like this one open the way for predators - all a man has to do is claim he thinks he's a woman, and under this law anyone who prevents him from entering a women's restroom or locker room is subject to a fine.
What federal laws would that be? Many places across the US have past ordinances like these to protect people that the federal government does not. People assume there is a lot of legal protection where there is not.

A predator will bypass the rules anyways... thinking "rules" of a restroom is going to somehow prevent anything is as bad as people thinking "no gun" signs will prevent criminals from using guns in that area.

Too bad the state feels they need to be involved in how a business runs their private business (pun a happy accident, oh another pun not on purpose).
how is this new? the government is always telling private businesses how to operate in many many ways.

OC for ME

Public restrooms are public accommodations...

"Private businesses" with restrooms available for use by customers...

Schools, as has already been cited.....sort of.

Comprehension must be applied during the reading process.

This may be a issue if some chic complains when a dude goes into a girls bathroom cuz the boys bathroom is full or out of order. I don't know of any dudes who would admit to complaining if the opposite situation were to occur.