• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WVEC article on ODU students for carry...

drewf

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm going to give them a B+ for the article.

Generally a recitation of the facts, with, as the OP noted, a few facts stated unclearly. I did not notice any unfactual statements other than referring to establishments that sell barely the legal minimum amount of food to meet the legal requirement as "bars". I'm supposing that "crowded" refers to approaching, but not exceeding, the maximum allowable capacity as set by the Fire Marshal.

The closing sentence clinched the B+ grade as opposed to gigging them for every petty detail.

stay safe.

wylde007

I don't know Skid. Read the penultimate sentence. I think it speaks volumes more than the last.

I taught a class there last semester and I did not want to go around unarmed... and neither did several of my students.

This sentence:
"People who obey the law and go through the permit system should be able to carry their guns anywhere."
should be revised to read "All people have a right and responsibility to defend themselves anywhere" or something along those lines.

I do not believe that granting "privilege" carry only to a small minority of upperclassmen is bold nor laudable.

fully_armed_biker

I don't know Skid. Read the penultimate sentence. I think it speaks volumes more than the last.

I taught a class there last semester and I did not want to go around unarmed... and neither did several of my students.

This sentence:should be revised to read "All people have a right and responsibility to defend themselves anywhere" or something along those lines.

I do not believe that granting "privilege" carry only to a small minority of upperclassmen is bold nor laudable.

The sentence you quoted, is a direct quote from a student there...Nick Foxx...it wasn't the writer's opinion. Revising it would be intentionally mis-quoting that person.

mpd8488

That is just one individual's opinion, though. While I think most of us would agree that carrying in any manner is a fundamental right, most of the push for carry on campus deals exclusively with concealed carry. I looked into starting a students for concealed carry on campus chapter at William and Mary my sophomore year, but in joining their movement they ask that you only advocate for licensed concealed carry when speaking on behalf of the group. That didn't sit well with me so I just started my own group

But that's all besides the point. I think in the grand scene of things that article actually leaned in favor of carry. Granted, it refers to only a single form of carry as a special privileged, but any carry for university students is a good start in my opinion, so any positive media attention is great. Just think back to the guns in bars debate; much of the media was talking about blood in the streets.

Last edited:

wylde007

The sentence you quoted, is a direct quote from a student there...Nick Foxx...it wasn't the writer's opinion. Revising it would be intentionally mis-quoting that person.
I appreciate that and I did not mean to alter the context of the statement.

That was made to imply how the statement SHOULD have been uttered in order to provide the most impact.

I did not say the man should be deliberately misquoted. Apologies if that's how it was interpreted.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I appreciate that and I did not mean to alter the context of the statement.

That was made to imply how the statement SHOULD have been uttered in order to provide the most impact.

I did not say the man should be deliberately misquoted. Apologies if that's how it was interpreted.

Agreed that it would have been nice if the reportalist had written the line. However, he did write
Universities in Utah and Colorado that allow guns on campus have not reported acts of violence.
and for that ought to be given the credit due.

stay safe.

sccrref

Freshman Meghan Nagle says firearms at school could distract students from learning.

"I'm always going to be wondering, who has a gun? I don't know if they're going to freak out and kill me."

I would think that the crimes being committed would do more to distract the students than the thought that someone is legally carrying a firearm for their own protection. Hoever, that is just my opinion. I would agree that it is everyone's right and duty to protect themselves everywhere they go.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Remember, Meghan has been brainwashed to believe that anybody who comes with 25 yards of a firearm will suddenly and uncontrollably turn into a raging psychopath who is probably going to burn, then pillage.

Either that or she really wants to have a gun of her own so she can fix all those bullies who have made her life so far a sad dream, and therefore projects her fantasies onto everybody else.

stay safe.

2a4all

Freshman Meghan Nagle says firearms at school could distract students from learning.

"I'm always going to be wondering, who has a gun? I don't know if they're going to freak out and kill me."

I would think that the crimes being committed would do more to distract the students than the thought that someone is legally carrying a firearm for their own protection. Hoever, that is just my opinion. I would agree that it is everyone's right and duty to protect themselves everywhere they go.

Life is much simpler (and perhaps shorter) if only bad guys have the guns. That way, she doesn't have to worry about being killed by her fellow students.

She should probably talk to MSC 45ACP's daughter.

paramedic70002

The reporter's email:

khopkins@wvec.com

Ms. Hopkins,

Having read your article, I must point out some problems:

1. The Blue Ridge Community College (VA) does not ban guns.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124700997480908627.html

2. There are no 'bars' in VA. The Code of VA only allows for restaurants to serve alcohol.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+4.1-209

3. Anyone age 18 and older may legally carry a firearm openly, subject to certain restrictions. You will not find a law in the Code of Virginia that states this. Here in VA, whatever is not illegal, is legal.

You may want to research the carrying of firearms, and the laws involved. A good place to start is http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?130-Virginia or one of the many local firearms instructors in the area, such as Bob's Gun Shop: http://www.bobsgunshop.com/list.php?cid=90&esi=4e9b3909fe652fda1b052b9fa340e645 .

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

MSC 45ACP

Life is much simpler (and perhaps shorter) if only bad guys have the guns. That way, she doesn't have to worry about being killed by her fellow students.

She should probably talk to MSC 45ACP's daughter.

Funny about that... She and I have been discussing alternatives to carrying. She's becoming proficient with an ASP expandable baton. It ain't her G-21, but it's better than 'nuthin'... I found my old ASP training tape and have been looking around for a class she can attend. I saw a gunshow advertising ASP training a few months ago and kick myself in the butt for not taking her to it. Now I can't find a hands-on class for her anywhere. I may get hold of the "old boys network" and a buddy that was an ASP instructor. Maybe he can get hold of some RedMan gear and foam batons for some serious hands on training.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Funny about that... She and I have been discussing alternatives to carrying. She's becoming proficient with an ASP expandable baton. It ain't her G-21, but it's better than 'nuthin'... I found my old ASP training tape and have been looking around for a class she can attend. I saw a gunshow advertising ASP training a few months ago and kick myself in the butt for not taking her to it. Now I can't find a hands-on class for her anywhere. I may get hold of the "old boys network" and a buddy that was an ASP instructor. Maybe he can get hold of some RedMan gear and foam batons for some serious hands on training.

We are always considering new classes to bring to our company's offerings. We haven't seen any requests for ASP training. I fondly recall carrying one myself.

Anyway, we hope to add a special new class to our list by January if everything works out correctly. Its not ASP, but its something just as cool. :)

MSC 45ACP

We are always considering new classes to bring to our company's offerings. We haven't seen any requests for ASP training. I fondly recall carrying one myself.

Anyway, we hope to add a special new class to our list by January if everything works out correctly. Its not ASP, but its something just as cool. :)

Thank you, ProShooter. I rummaged around the garage this past weekend to find my LE belt. Took the ASP apart and cleaned it up. Out of habit, I took both pairs of cuffs out and oiled them up, too. Cleaned the rust off the handcuff key and oiled that, too. [sheepish look] I haven't cleaned this stuff since I last wore the belt @ 2005. Even chrome-plated stuff rusts when its neglected. :-(

Back OT: OC'd to get gas today at WaWa. No one noticed.