• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with applying for a purchase permit.

Hillbillyboy

I am applying for a purchase permit in the next week or so. Being 19 I already know that this will more than likely be a hassle, especially living in Durham County. On the application for a permit it says at the top that "permits maybe only issued to those who are 21 years of age or older". Now all of us here know that this is false, but I am wondering how to confront the sheriff's department about this. Should I fill out the forms and get the character references sent in then go to them in person? Or should i call the person in charge of pistol permits there and bring this up with them?

moonie

In Guilford County we had to convince the Sheriffs department that they might be incorrect and for them to contact the NC Attorney Generals office so they could let them know they were incorrect.

Good luck, Sheriffs offices tend to believe they are incapable of being incorrect.

asullivangarner

I'd start with a properly filled out application including references and go in person. I think a phone call will just get you, "Oh's here's that guy we already told no to once".

I probably pay dumb too and quote the States Constitution.

Good Luck,

asg

Carry24/7

Let us know if you want some company when you go. Maybe somebody can show up with you. We can schedule it as a meetup maybe.

Man you have some "bright" ideas. Let's show up with a bunch of people to tell the sheriff he has to issue him a permit. I'm sure that will work out well for him.

asullivangarner

Man you have some "bright" ideas. Let's show up with a bunch of people to tell the sheriff he has to issue him a permit. I'm sure that will work out well for him.

While I do not know the efficacy of Mr. Dailey's suggestion, it is better than yours!

asullivangarner

My comment was how I read what he wrote. I don't think it would be a good idea to show up with a bunch of people to ask the sheriff for a PPP.

I am not sure it would either, but since you failed to suggest another method or any advice to the original question, my post stands.

Carry24/7

I am not sure it would either, but since you failed to suggest another method or any advice to the original question, my post stands.

Well if you want me to give him another option it would be to just do what we all would do. Fill out the application and take it in and ask to talk to the sheriff. If he denies him then provide the sheriff with a copy of the law/statute that says he is able to buy a handgun in a private sale and maybe print out one or two of the postings that cover this issue where the person was able to obtain a PPP.

asullivangarner

Well if you want me to give him another option it would be to just do what we all would do. Fill out the application and take it in and ask to talk to the sheriff. If he denies him then provide the sheriff with a copy of the law/statute that says he is able to buy a handgun in a private sale and maybe print out one or two of the postings that cover this issue where the person was able to obtain a PPP.

Hey wait, that sounds like what I suggested in my initial post. My irritation was directed at your initial comment. On the other hand, the quoted advice above is sound!

Carry24/7

Hey wait, that sounds like what I suggested in my initial post. My irritation was directed at your initial comment. On the other hand, the quoted advice above is sound!

Well then you would agree this is the best course of action. It's not showing up with a bunch of guys telling the sheriff what his job is and what he has to do.

EricDailey X-NRA

How about...

My comment was how I read what he wrote. I don't think it would be a good idea to show up with a bunch of people to ask the sheriff for a PPP.

What if 12 or more responsible county citizens who were people the Sheriff knew personally showed up with a 19 year old applicant at the office? That might look like a character reference. What if that happened a few times? What if it worked? What if the Sheriff decided that the community wanted responsible 19 year olds to get PPP's? That might be good.

Carry24/7

What if 12 or more responsible county citizens who were people the Sheriff knew personally showed up with a 19 year old applicant at the office? That might look like a character reference. What if that happened a few times? What if it worked? What if the Sheriff decided that the community wanted responsible 19 year olds to get PPP's? That might be good.

Well if he can find 12 people that personally know the sheriff it might work for him but I'm sure if 12 strangers showed up it wouldn't work so well for him. So if you personally know this sheriff, by all means help the guy out if you think he would be a responsible gun owner.

asullivangarner

Well then you would agree this is the best course of action. It's not showing up with a bunch of guys telling the sheriff what his job is and what he has to do.

I do agree, but my post first post was advice to this young man based on his question, and your first post was suggesting that Mr. Dailey was wrong in his statement. I am close enough to Durham that if Hillbillyboy wants a second, I can do it, as would Mr. Dailey and many others that have the time and inclination to help.

I am not looking to make some grand statement, only to help this one young man realize this Country given Rights. Once The Durham County Sheriff decides that THE Second Amendment and the State's Constitution apply, the rest will be easy, or at least get better.

asg

EricDailey X-NRA

I Second

... if Hillbillyboy wants a second, I can do it, as would Mr. Dailey and many others that have the time and inclination to help.

I am not looking to make some grand statement, only to help this one young man realize this Country given Rights. Once The Durham County Sheriff decides that THE Second Amendment and the State's Constitution apply, the rest will be easy, or at least get better.

asg

How many frivolous 19 year olds are posting on OCDO?

asullivangarner

How many frivolous 19 year olds are posting on OCDO?

None that I know, and if you find one smack him twice in the back of the head for me!!!

Seriously, I hope that when Hillbillyboy checks back in that he realizes that he has as much support as he wants. As far as I am concerned the ball is in his court and all he has to do is ask.

asg

Hillbillyboy

wow! didn't expect this much support so quickly. The 2 character references I had been thinking of are a deputy I know and my fire chief who used to be the orange county fire marshall so hopefully they have some weight that will help with this. I was planning on bringing a recorder with me and recording the whole thing just incase I need to prove what was said by who. Is this a good idea or am I just asking for trouble?

EDIT: I forgot to add, Thanks so much for your input guys, I greatly appreciate your input and support.

Last edited:

asullivangarner

wow! didn't expect this much support so quickly. The 2 character references I had been thinking of are a deputy I know and my fire chief who used to be the orange county fire marshall so hopefully they have some weight that will help with this. I was planning on bringing a recorder with me and recording the whole thing just incase I need to prove what was said by who. Is this a good idea or am I just asking for trouble?

EDIT: I forgot to add, Thanks so much for your input guys, I greatly appreciate your input and support.

Sounds like you have it covered; though I have never recorded anything in my entire life...

Do your thing and stand tall!!! Other than that speak up if you want someone else to go with you.

asg