• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed Citizen ends shooting rampage, and saves officer with 165 yard pistol shot.

Small_Arms_Collector

http://www.guns.com/2012/08/01/texas-gun-owner-shoot-out/

Bad guy gets in an argument with neighbors over dogs, shoots, then executes both neighbors, and the dogs with a pistol, then sttarts shooting it out with responding officer with an AR-15 (the officer also had an AR-15), another neighbor sees officer pull up, and immediately take fire from the bad guy, who was taking cover behind a tree, so he retrieves his hand gun, and opens fire on the bad guy from 165 yards away, and hits him in the thigh, the suspect redirects fire to the armed citizen who was in a flanking position misses, and the armed citizen lands 4 more shots, meanwhile the officer is able to move up, and land 2 shots of his own. The make, and model of the armed citizen's handgun is unknown, but is described as a magnum caliber.

Total round count:

Bad guy with pistol: unknown, but at least 6 Hits.
Bad guy with AR-15: 5 all misses
Officer: 6 with 2 hits
Armed Citizen: 5 all hits..... at 165 yards..... with a handgun.

OC for ME

I think this has been discussed a while back. i think the citizen was "arrested" until the cop he assisted made it known that the good guy was not a bad guy. If this is the same story that is.

165 yards!!! I have a hard time getting a 165er off with my .243 and the deer don't shoot back at me either.

Nice shooting Tex.

jeeper1

I used to shoot pistol silhouette up to 200 meters (219 yards). Maybe the good guy does/did also.
165 yds is the same as 150 meters one of the distances regularly shot in a silhouette match.

WalkingWolf

I used to shoot pistol silhouette up to 200 meters (219 yards). Maybe the good guy does/did also.
165 yds is the same as 150 meters one of the distances regularly shot in a silhouette match.

It was a trailer court I believe, the distance was closer to 65 yards. Still damn good shooting under stress.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I think this has been discussed a while back. i think the citizen was "arrested" until the cop he assisted made it known that the good guy was not a bad guy. If this is the same story that is..

Sounds like the same story ...

In my old neighborhood it would have been under the byline "It happened again this week" lol

Really, most just kill the dogs ... not good judgement

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

I also did this once using a Ruger Super Blackhawk and handloads. The hanging ram was 200 meters out. That is one heck of a distance to make a hit with iron sights but that Ruger came through.

bunnspecial

Not really the same circumstances as the stress level and environment are very different, but Hickok45 has several videos where he shoots his "80 yard gong"(about 3 feet in diameter, I think) from 230 years. I've seen videos of him doing it with a Glock, a 44 magnum, a 500 magnum, and even a shotgun with slugs. In all of these, he hits more than he misses.

Of course, Hickok is also a heck of a good shot!