• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Required to watch video for CPL

B

Bikenut

Friends of ours (a married couple) allowed their CPL's to lapse. When starting the process again they were informed they were required to watch a video on the laws.

Ok...My google fu is weak .... I can't find where "watching a video" is required by law.

Edited to add:

I called Duncans in Bay City and they said reviewing the law for 3 hours is required ... and when I said folks can do that on their own without paying to watch a video the gentleman said he wasn't going to argue the point.

However... Duncans does offer a package deal for their assistance in renewing a CPL that includes that video and the hour of range time for $57.

So... does the CPl having lapsed negate the person's ability to satisfy the requirement to review the law and have an hour's range time on their own and attest to that on the form?

Last edited by a moderator:

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
Friends of ours (a married couple) allowed their CPL's to lapse. When starting the process again they were informed they were required to watch a video on the laws.

Ok...My google fu is weak .... I can't find where "watching a video" is required by law.

Edited to add:

I called Duncans in Bay City and they said reviewing the law for 3 hours is required ... and when I said folks can do that on their own without paying to watch a video the gentleman said he wasn't going to argue the point.

However... Duncans does offer a package deal for their assistance in renewing a CPL that includes that video and the hour of range time for $57.

So... does the CPl having lapsed negate the person's ability to satisfy the requirement to review the law and have an hour's range time on their own and attest to that on the form?

For Renewal, regardless of lapse, you must sign an affidavit (basically a document that says "I swear" ) that says you reviewed the law for 3 hours. That's it.

No magic video that only Duncan's knows about. Though that would certainly do it if the video is about the laws in the state of MI.

B

Bikenut

For Renewal, regardless of lapse, you must sign an affidavit (basically a document that says "I swear" ) that says you reviewed the law for 3 hours. That's it.

No magic video that only Duncan's knows about. Though that would certainly do it if the video is about the laws in the state of MI.
Thanks Zig... I was almost certain that is how it works but was unsure because of the "lapse" part.

B

Bikenut

Why does this 'Duncans' have anything to do with renewing a CPL?
Duncans was the place the couple were supposed to go to and watch the video. Actually the husband already did watch it at Duncans and now the wife is going to turn in her paperwork and thought she also had to go watch the video.

I only called Duncans but I suspect that they aren't the only place offering that video/package deal to help folks renew their CPL.

I apologize for being unclear on that.

Apparently there are enough folks who do not know that they can review the law(s) for 3 hours and get an hour's range time on their own to satisfy the requirements of the affidavit and attest to it with their signature.... to make it profitable for Duncans (and perhaps other gun shops) to offer to help.

Not knocking Duncans or anyone for having a package deal to help renew CPL's... I was just trying to figure out if it was required to attend such a thing because a CPL "lapsed". It was the "lapsed" part that had me curious and I couldn't find anything in the law(s)...

FreeInAZ

Well to me (could be over synical) why would Duncan's tell anyone that they can study the laws on their own? That's an easy $57 out the door. Or put another way, the reason so many CPL instructor's go out of their way not to debunk the myth that you must have a CPL to carry a pistol in MI. Self interest wins the day more often than not. :(

Good on you Bikenut for saving them some money. I have nothing against places training people who actually want to be trained. A good thing in my book. There are those places though who will give the impression that training must be taken at their facility. Those places rank right up there with used car salesmen & politicians in my book. When their lips are moving....it's a good bet a lie is coming from them. :rolleyes:

Hevymetal

I wonder if the trolling of this and other forums that deal with legal firearm issues and applicable statutes qualifies?

Hmmmm