• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any laws I need to follow when selling brass?

hometheaterman

So I have a guy from a local forum interested in buying some brass I have that I don't have a use for. Is there anything special I need to ask about before selling to him? Do I need to make sure he is over 18, or does it not matter since the primer in the brass is spent, and the brass is not loaded ammunition? Just want to make sure I do everything properly here.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So I have a guy from a local forum interested in buying some brass I have that I don't have a use for. Is there anything special I need to ask about before selling to him? Do I need to make sure he is over 18, or does it not matter since the primer in the brass is spent, and the brass is not loaded ammunition? Just want to make sure I do everything properly here.

There aren't any laws in Virginia or on a Federal level that I know about. I buy them by the thousands.

Some shippers fuss if they have a spent primer. That's not a legal matter, just ignorance.

What do you have to sell?

hometheaterman

Right now the only thing I have for sale is some .308 Winchester, as I don't have a .308, but have some brass.
Thanks for the help guys.

Another question here while I have this thread I'm going to ask about ammo. I also listed some 30-06 ammo for sale in a local classifieds paper. I just got a call today, from a guy in Maryland saying his buddy got one of these papers and lives nearby and he would be interested in this ammo. He asked me to email him pictures of the ammo and said he would either mail me a check and I could ship the ammo to him, or his friend that's local could just meet me and pick it up.

Is there anything wrong with me meeting his friend to sell it to him? I don't want to break any laws here. I know with a gun this would be a huge no no, but with ammo is it fine? Or should I stay away from this deal?

flb_78

yes, you have to remove the spent primers and polish the brass for them.... :D

but seriously, no, stuff it in a box and mail it. The Postal Service's flat rate boxes are great for shipping bullets and brass.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Right now the only thing I have for sale is some .308 Winchester, as I don't have a .308, but have some brass.
Thanks for the help guys.

Another question here while I have this thread I'm going to ask about ammo. I also listed some 30-06 ammo for sale in a local classifieds paper. I just got a call today, from a guy in Maryland saying his buddy got one of these papers and lives nearby and he would be interested in this ammo. He asked me to email him pictures of the ammo and said he would either mail me a check and I could ship the ammo to him, or his friend that's local could just meet me and pick it up.

Is there anything wrong with me meeting his friend to sell it to him? I don't want to break any laws here. I know with a gun this would be a huge no no, but with ammo is it fine? Or should I stay away from this deal?

He wants pictures of 30-06 ammo:uhoh:
I don't see anything wrong with selling him ammo but wouldn't ship it.

t33j

Because of interstate?
I've bought ammo in a private sale that was shipped to me. Turned out to be pretty crappy but that's another matter.

IIRC (handgun?) ammo purchases are registered in MD.

hometheaterman

yes, you have to remove the spent primers and polish the brass for them.... :D

but seriously, no, stuff it in a box and mail it. The Postal Service's flat rate boxes are great for shipping bullets and brass.

It actually is a local ftf sale, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have to verify that he was of a certain age or anything like that. Should I make sure he is at least 18+ or 21+ or does that not matter? If I do need to know, I didn't know what age he needed to be.

hometheaterman

He wants pictures of 30-06 ammo:uhoh:
Yeah, I kind of wondered about that too, but I figured maybe he wants to make sure that it's the same stuff he thinks it is. I'm not really sure. It's just factory Federal Power Shok 30-06 ammo. Nothing special at all about it.

flb_78

You can ship live ammunition but it has to be shipped via private courier (UPS, FEDEX, yada yada yada). To ship it, it must have a ORM-D sticker on the package. Just be sure that it's legal to ship ammo to MD.

I use this one, download it and copy it to paint 3 or 4 times, print it and affix them to the package with clear tape. Ive shipped ammo to several places and I know of no restrictions in MD.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/restrictions.php

72190_ORM-D-cartridges-small-arms-stickers.gif

t33j

It actually is a local ftf sale, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have to verify that he was of a certain age or anything like that. Should I make sure he is at least 18+ or 21+ or does that not matter? If I do need to know, I didn't know what age he needed to be.

Age won't matter; you're not a FFL. I recall a post from user saying that ammo reloaded for another person (as in exclusively or by contract) requires some nonsense ATF paperwork or something.

flb_78

Only restrictions on rifle ammunition sales are that the purchaser is at least 18 years of age. Handgun ammunition is 21 years of age.

hometheaterman

Just to clarify, I have the 308 brass listed for sale, as well as the 30-06 ammo, so they are two different sales. I at first made a deal with a local member for the brass and just wanted to make sure there were no restrictions on that before following through with the deal ftf. Then after I posted this thread I got a call about the 30-06 ammo. I'm feeling kind of weird about that deal and don't think that I'm going to sell it to him. I just don't care for all of the hassle of shipping ammo. I thought since his friend was local, and he said his friend would buy it from me to take to him, that I could do that. However, I'm not even sure I want to do that. The whole thing sounds kind of fishy. Do you guys think that I should email him and just let him know the ammo is no longer available, or should I call him back to let him know, or just to ignore him?

t33j

Tell him if he wants it he has to come pick it up

It's just ammo. If he doesn't get it from you he can get it easily elsewhere.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Personally, I wouldn't do ANY sort of business with ANYONE in MD, FTF or through th email, just because I'm boycotting the entire state's economy based on their egregious firearms laws. I don't even buy gas in MD when I visit my family there.

No city, county, or state agency, or individual business in MD is getting a penny of my money as long as they don't recognize my RKBA.

On the other hand, I live in NC, and would really be interested in some .308 brass. And we have no issues down here with shipping brass or ammo. ;)

hometheaterman

Personally, I wouldn't do ANY sort of business with ANYONE in MD, FTF or through th email, just because I'm boycotting the entire state's economy based on their egregious firearms laws. I don't even buy gas in MD when I visit my family there.

No city, county, or state agency, or individual business in MD is getting a penny of my money as long as they don't recognize my RKBA.

On the other hand, I live in NC, and would really be interested in some .308 brass. And we have no issues down here with shipping brass or ammo. ;)

Well, the .308 brass is going to a local guy in VA. However, if the sale falls through, I will be sure to let you know about it and let you know what I have.

Last edited:

hometheaterman

I ended up sending an email to the guy about the ammo letting him know that I wasn't willing to ship it and that I was just going to keep looking for another local sale. Something about that whole deal just felt fishy to me, so I decided it's best to go with my gut and walk away.

MSC 45ACP

a few handfulls of once-fired .45 brass

I have some .45ACP brass free to a good home if someone wants it. Just a few quart-sized zip-lock bags full if someone in the area wants it. I don't reload, but sometimes pick up my brass after shooting. I don't shoot reloads, so this is all once-fired stuff.

Free to a good home...