• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded or unloaded during OC?

The Godather

This may sound like a dumb question, sorry. I have a 9mm and was just wondering while OCing can I put a clip in the gun and put a bullet in the chamber? I feel like I shouldn't put a bullet in the chamber for safety reasons...any input would be appreciated.

JJC

This may sound like a dumb question, sorry. I have a 9mm and was just wondering while OCing can I put a clip in the gun and put a bullet in the chamber? I feel like I shouldn't put a bullet in the chamber for safety reasons...any input would be appreciated.

Yes, full magazine and one in the tube. Other wise all you have is something to throw at the bad guy.
I know it's dumb that we have to load and unload many times a day, but currently that's the only option we have.

Some users carry with just a full Magazine and others locked and loaded. (personal preference with either)

If you've not done this much, you might want to practice at home a few times before doing it in public.
Also remember to do this in a method that doesn't scare the sheep.

JJC

Last edited:

Terkeytoes

I OC with my pistol loaded but not with one in the chamber, I look at it this way, if for whatever reason my pistol was taken from my control the bad guy would to to get a round into the chamber which would give me an extra second to get away or regain control. I also like to think its another obstacle that the cops would have to overcome to prove I was a threat while in public.

I go about loading by first pulling my gun from the case and holstering it then sliding the clip in so that I dont give the impression I am about to go into a place looking to cause problems.

johnny amish

Loaded or unloaded is up to you, whatever you feel more comfortable with. As for myself I feel an unloaded sidearm is useless. If I am in a situation where I need to protect myself or someone around me I feel like I will have enough to wory about and trying to remember to load my sidearm is one distraction that I don't need in a high stress situation.

TyGuy

Loaded out in public, unloaded at home. I figure I have a bit of extra time to rack the slide if someone is breaking into my house. I'm not scared, I just don't like the striker spring under pressure all of the time.

COMMANDER1911

I OC with my pistol loaded but not with one in the chamber, I look at it this way, if for whatever reason my pistol was taken from my control the bad guy would to to get a round into the chamber which would give me an extra second to get away or regain control. I also like to think its another obstacle that the cops would have to overcome to prove I was a threat while in public.

I go about loading by first pulling my gun from the case and holstering it then sliding the clip in so that I dont give the impression I am about to go into a place looking to cause problems.

Although it is a personal preference, My advice would be to take retention training. Also, I cant find very many cases where a BG tried to grab an OCer's gun. I carry my 1911 locked and cocked with the safety on. One small thumb movement making the difference in whether I go home or end up in a casket.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Maybe you would be so kind as to explain the "safety reasons?"