• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just when you think your safe

SlowDog

I was at the range a few days ago shooting a new gun I bought. A real nice customized Colt Delta Elite Stainless 10mm. I Was shooting it at Bass Pro range off I75 & Baldwin rd. Tygereye was there shooting with me. As I was shooting she was behind me when she hollered out a piece of brass hit her pretty hard. Then she looked around and discovered a HOT round on the floor. I had a round go down & ricochet back. I assumed it was safe and never worried about a ricochet. Here's a few pics. Good thing no one was hurt. I guess that's why we wear safety glasses......

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 236

budlight

Was this an indoor range or an outdoor range? The reason I ask is that I could see at an outdoor range hitting a rock and getting a ricochet.

Glad to hear there were no serious injuries!

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Congrats on the new firearm, pictures or it doesn't exist! :D

Damn 10mm are so powerful, not even range backstops can stop them!

I have been hit in the legs a couple times on shorter ranges where the range line was open under the range shooting bench. I had jeans on both times so it didn't do any damage from the bullet fragments, but I was definitely "on alert" afterwards.

PT111

I assumed it was safe

And we all know about assuming. :monkey What kind of backstop is there to cause a richochet or wonder did it hit something else? As you say glasses, hearing protection, no low cut shirts etc. Might want to add a bullet proof vest and kevlar helmet. I agree that this is unusual and one would assume that it would never happen but that is why we should always follow all the rules of gun safety and more.

SlowDog

I believe they use ground rubber at the range. From what I could see there wasn't anything hard enough to make this round ricochet. It was a 180grn FNFMJ. They run out around 1150 feet per second. The gun is ported so recoil isn't as much as my 45.

And yea I know....here's the pic :)

Attachments

• pix789172981.jpg
    pix789172981.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 142
  • pix440766130.jpg
    pix440766130.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 111

Bailenforcer

Looking at the photograph, it appears the round hit an edge of something and then rolled/spinned at a high rate of speed causing it to tumble backwards towards you. Note the grove cut into the bullet face and down the side of it. It could have hit and rolled off the target holding mechanism or something that was not a flat surface causing a spin as evidenced by the grove continuing down the side of the projectile.

It's a guess, but I have seen this before.

I was at the range a few days ago shooting a new gun I bought. A real nice customized Colt Delta Elite Stainless 10mm. I Was shooting it at Bass Pro range off I75 & Baldwin rd. Tygereye was there shooting with me. As I was shooting she was behind me when she hollered out a piece of brass hit her pretty hard. Then she looked around and discovered a HOT round on the floor. I had a round go down & ricochet back. I assumed it was safe and never worried about a ricochet. Here's a few pics. Good thing no one was hurt. I guess that's why we wear safety glasses......

SlowDog

I agree on your assessment of it hitting something hard....but I was shooting at a paper target taped to a large piece of cardboard hanging from the track that runs along the cieling. My rounds were all thru the center of the target in a tight group...I even counted the holes. Something down where the SOFT back stop is was hit and sent it back.It hit her pretty hard where her keys were hooked onto her belt loop. With the jagged edge of the bullet a face hit would've been alot more serious. Thus the reason the range manager was so "wigged" out when I told him.

stainless1911

Banned
I've seen pieces of rounds that have come back at that range before, when I asked the range officer about it, he told me that they do occasionally come back and smack the glass.:eek: This is a problem that they know about. They do use a crushed rubber backstop.

malignity

If you don't mind me asking, how much was your gun and how many rounds does it hold?

I like 1911's, but I hate the low round count, so I don't personally own one. I'm realllllyyyyy liking the look of your gun though. I want one. ;)

Michigander

If you don't mind me asking, how much was your gun and how many rounds does it hold?

I like 1911's, but I hate the low round count, so I don't personally own one. I'm realllllyyyyy liking the look of your gun though. I want one. ;)

8 or 9 shot magazines, and 650 dollars used on very a good day.

Compared to a Glock 20 with a Robar conversion, it is definitely lacking in firepower. Well, not really since it's a 10mm, but certainly better capacity is available. Whatever the shortcomings it has, it makes up for it in extreme shootability for those with smaller hands, not to mention the fact that single stack magazines can be carried in great numbers easily by doubling them up in double stack pouches.

Definitely an awesome gun. I'm jealous.

Beerme

Banned
Bullets go right through those.

wanna bet that they always go right through?
look at the hangers next time youre there, there are holes and there are clear shot marks from impacting bullets
even the lil wire ones at the sportsmans club have stood up to a stray 45 round

Last edited:

kryptonian

"you'll shoot her eye out" was what i thought when i read the story and it was from a christmas gun too : )

glad it turned out ok

hate to be grammar police but in your heading 'just when you think YOUR safe' it should actually be YOU'RE - the contraction for YOU ARE not the possesive YOUR

SlowDog

bass pro has a rubber backstop
You missed the target and hit the target hanger most likely

NO I DIDN'T MISS! Please pay attention to detail. As I said. We counted the holes in the paper. 8 rounds fired from mag and 8 holes in the paper. Why do you automatically state things to try and stir up stuff when you don't even know or read all that was posted?

And when it comes to shooting accurately. just ask Tygereye. She was the one hit by the returning round. Ask her if I miss....I am not blowing my own horn but I DO NOT SHOOT OFF TARGET! I am insulted that you say this about me never seeing me on a range shooting.

Beerme

Banned
NO I DIDN'T MISS! Please pay attention to detail. As I said. We counted the holes in the paper. 8 rounds fired from mag and 8 holes in the paper. Why do you automatically state things to try and stir up stuff when you don't even know or read all that was posted?

And when it comes to shooting accurately. just ask Tygereye. She was the one hit by the returning round. Ask her if I miss....I am not blowing my own horn but I DO NOT SHOOT OFF TARGET! I am insulted that you say this about me never seeing me on a range shooting.

Good lord man do not over react.

look at the bullet
it made contact with something other than the backstop...
was not trying to stir ****, take the branch outta your ass

AFPVet

Ouch! Bullets can ricochet, but the force is usually not enough to cause serious damage... wear eye and groin protection and you should be fine lol.

Last edited:

mastiff69

Beerme If you read his post again, you will (SEE) that he had stated that ALL of his bullets went thru the (center) of the target. enough said insert smiley face hehe
And remove the telephone pole from your *** first GRRR!!
GEESH !!!!

WNCTarheel

Once I was standing behind the active shooter during a simulation competition at a local indoor range, about 50 ft from the backstop. I got a piece of hot lead/jacket that landed right on my face (cheek) and burned me a good blister before I could swipe it off.