• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ladies and Guns

jpm84092

Some Anti-gun Women Are Just Afraid - NRA Pistol First Steps Course Fixed That

A woman I met last November used to be terrified of the handgun I constantly carry, but over time, she got curious. It turns out she was more afraid of handguns than anti-gun. She had never held one, let alone fired one.

The solution was NRA Pistol First Steps Course (with a little rifle work thrown in). I ordered the student kit for her, gave her the text and two weeks to read it, went through the course slides, then on to the range to complete the course. To make a long story short, she soon graduated from the Smith & Wesson .22 semi-automatic pistol and Marlin 22 Rifle to firing my Springfield XD-9 and my friend's "Black Rifle". Now, instead of being annoyed when I want range time, she pesters me to go along as well and shoot with me.

(She managed a 6-inch group at 7 yards with the .22 pistol. Not so good with the 9mm, but we are working on her shooting skills. She next wants to take the Concealed Firearm Permit Course.)

Krusty

On my first date with a lady friend one of my first questions was "are you afraid of guns?" She asked, "what do you mean" So I showed her a .45 and she said, "of course not, and I can field dress a deer too!" That was the end of that line of questions.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
A few years back I was a bouncer at the local Hip/hop club here in GB worked there very part time for 3years but over those 3 years I introduced 6 of the HOTTEST little young bartenders to the 4 rules & the joys of guns they all knew I was a gun guy so they all wanted to shoot me gun :) so I would take them out to the local pistol range & introduced them to handguns....a few of them now own 9mm pistols. I did my job.

Last edited:

MKEgal

SIGdude said:
women with guns is a great idea.
Unless you're an attacker (abuser, etc.). :D

krusty said:
"of course not, and I can field dress a deer too!" That was the end of that line of questions.
LOL!!
Takes what Lorena Bobbit did to a whole new level... The whole person could disappear.

ETA (PS - someone please explain what's offensive about that, or the original reference? I didn't use any anatomical or slang terms, or profanity, merely referenced a widely-reported news event.)

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

I was thinking from the title maybe something like this...
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?9325-Chicks-with-guns-NSFW-NWS/page2

Outdoorsman1

Oh my,
I like that line of thinkin......

To keep in the line of the thread.

When me and the Mrs first hooked up a few years back, (Basically,I came home
with her the first night and never left....)

Of course the topic of firearms came up.
The idea of havin a few shotguns and rifles didnt bother her too much,but she was kinda concerned about handguns and asked if I owned any.

Well,of course I do....Whats the difference??
She didnt really have a reply.
So I loaded up the .45 laid it out on the kitchen table and yelled "Shoot" "Fire" "Kill"
and the gun did nothing.....it just laid there.

When the Mrs seen that at first she thought I was kinda nuts....

But after a day or two of having the .45 on nightstand duty she came to the
conclusion she could finally feel safe and sleep well.

After a couple of weeks go by....she asks me " Dont you do things...you know like hobbies?"

I told her I do...but didnt think she would be interested,but she lets me know I was free to go do "my thing"....so off to the range I go.
Halfway out the door with range bag in hand I asked if she wants her to come along.

To my surprise she actually did.

For the first 10 mins she was content to watch me shoot from behind the glass...in the "lounge area" of Shooters Sports Center.

Trying to keep half an eye on the then new girlfriend,loading mags and posting targets got to be too much like work...So I gave her some earplugs and invited her onto the range and had her in the booth with me loading the mags.Then some instruction on safe handling.

We spent quite a few hours on the range that day and she went from loading mags to shooting my 1911 to renting a .38 revolver and back to shooting my 1911.

At the end of her first day on the range I took one of my targets and then her best target with my 1911 and laid hers over mine. With the exception of one that drifted a little wider from the group her shot grouping was identical to mine.

A couple weeks later after renting every pistol from the .22cal to the 3in .45 1911 (now its called the EMP but at the time it was something else and I dont remember the model name) they have available,along with several trips to Sportsmens Warehouse,we settled on a Browning BDA .380 for her.

For the first year and a half or so our "Date Night Out" was a trip to the pistol range.

LR Yote

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

Ok... To keep in the line of the thread.

My ex lady (lived together almost 4 years) was raised around guns. Her brother was a gun smith. She was real good with almost any type weapon. One of her favorite stories was taking a while to learn how to shoot well with either right or left hand... she also like the story how it was a little easier to learn that skill with the sawed off, home made pistol grip, 12 ga. (this was before today’s factory stock assault shotguns..)

These days, one of my new lady friends has a 38 and a 38 special with pearl grips. She keeps them mostly for home defense but wants to go to shooters with me (to practice more) and we have also discussed getting her a holster and me teaching her more about OC... Another one of my lady friends has a 9mm and basically same usage and willingness to learn more...

Outdoorsman1

jrclen

The first year we were married I brought home a used Browning 9MM. I showed it to my wife and invited her out onto the patio to watch me shoot it. I tossed a coffee can out into the yard, took careful aim and darn near hit it. I shot again and actually made the can move I came so close. On the third try, I hit the can.

My wife looked at me and asked if she could try it. I grinned and said sure. I started to explain how to do it and she calmly told me she knew how. I stood back and watched her empty the magazine...... and hit the can with every round.

She looked at me with a smile and told me she had done a bit of shooting in the past. So I did the right thing, I gave that pistol to her and went out and bought a new 40 S&W semi auto for myself.

With lots of practice over the past 21 years, I am darn near as good as she is.

LR Yote 312

You're a lucky, lucky man . . .

I like to think so....and I am not saying it to be bragging in any way.

Before the DDD (degenerative disc disease) had progressed to the stages its at now
she used to also come along turkey,goose,and deer hunting with me too.

Being abit of an amateur photographer she would get the critters to look pretty
right before I gave them an invitation to stay for dinner.

LR Yote