• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tea Party leader arrested with gun at NY airport

usnvet86

Not sure, the story is vague. No real fact besides it being unloaded and locked up. Also he had a CCP for CA but that is irrelevant since he is in NY. I don’t think this man really played by the rules. NY is strict, I grew up there. NYC is worse. I wouldn’t be surprised if you had to call them ahead of time and get some sort of permission slip beforehand. Off the top of my head I don’t think you can travel with explosives, which is ammunition. Also depends how long he was "traveling" through NY. You can only have it while transiting through. You can’t bring it somewhere and go somewhere else and still say you're just passing by. That could have nabbed him. I may or may not have brought my handgun along with me as I go home to see the folks. But I know it's not legal.
Of course I could look this up, but I'd rather babble on haha.

hammer6

Not sure, the story is vague. No real fact besides it being unloaded and locked up. Also he had a CCP for CA but that is irrelevant since he is in NY. I don’t think this man really played by the rules. NY is strict, I grew up there. NYC is worse. I wouldn’t be surprised if you had to call them ahead of time and get some sort of permission slip beforehand. Off the top of my head I don’t think you can travel with explosives, which is ammunition. Also depends how long he was "traveling" through NY. You can only have it while transiting through. You can’t bring it somewhere and go somewhere else and still say you're just passing by. That could have nabbed him. I may or may not have brought my handgun along with me as I go home to see the folks. But I know it's not legal.
Of course I could look this up, but I'd rather babble on haha.

who's to say this isn't a guy LEAVING new york to visit california, and took the gun from his home, and was going to visit california?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
okay and? what's the point? he can't have a gun in his hotel in new york?

No, he cannot under current state law and current constitutional status. NYC and in general NYS does not allow the possession of a pistol without a license, period, even in your own home or temporary residence. They are only one of two states which requires a license for non-residents to possess a handgun while in their state (NYS doesn't issue said non-resident license, Massachusetts does issue said license, but you need to apply to the state police).

Simply put, the current jurisprudence is not there. In fact, the district court loss of Osterweil v. Bartlett will cement the impression with the state criminal courts that it's 2A does not apply to temporary residences and transport to/fro. Even after potential challenges in the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals for both Osterweil (non-resident pistol possession license case) and Kachalsky v. Cacace (the may-issue challenge), there needs to be further additional challenges needing to go upsuch as Kwong v. Bloomberg (excessive fees for all pistol licenses, $455 every three years is outrageous and unconstitutional) before we are in a legal position to strike directly at requiring licensing at all for transport and in temporary home possession....

It's clear also that his final destination is NYC from California, not Connecticut. This stuff about 926A is completely irrelevant unless he happened to have a hotel room in Connecticut or New Jersey rather than NYC. At least with New Jersey you can apply for an FID card with the state police to transport, and Connecticut has pistol carry license system which is fully available to non-residents for application.

hammer6

No, he cannot under current state law and current constitutional status. NYC and in general NYS does not allow the possession of a pistol without a license, period, even in your own home or temporary residence. They are only one of two states which requires a license for non-residents to possess a handgun while in their state (NYS doesn't issue said non-resident license, Massachusetts does issue said license, but you need to apply to the state police).

Simply put, the current jurisprudence is not there. In fact, the district court loss of Osterweil v. Bartlett will cement the impression with the state criminal courts that it's 2A does not apply to temporary residences and transport to/fro. Even after potential challenges in the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals for both Osterweil (non-resident pistol possession license case) and Kachalsky v. Cacace (the may-issue challenge), there needs to be further additional challenges needing to go upsuch as Kwong v. Bloomberg (excessive fees for all pistol licenses, $455 every three years is outrageous and unconstitutional) before we are in a legal position to strike directly at requiring licensing at all for transport and in temporary home possession....

It's clear also that his final destination is NYC from California, not Connecticut. This stuff about 926A is completely irrelevant unless he happened to have a hotel room in Connecticut or New Jersey rather than NYC. At least with New Jersey you can apply for an FID card with the state police to transport, and Connecticut has pistol carry license system which is fully available to non-residents for application.

thanks

Nascar24Glock

Doesn't the Firearm Owners Protection Act provide an exception to this? Or, was New York this guy's starting/ending destination, which would render FOPA's protections invalid?

Fine

He just did not played with the rules. Whatever his intention are or any, rules are rules after all.

sudden valley gunner

He just did not played with the rules. Whatever his intention are or any, rules are rules after all.

And if Rosa Parks , just followed the rules?
What about Mr. McDonald in Chicago?
Or Heller in D.C.?

Unconstitutional laws or "rules" are supposed to be null and void.

Unfortunately it takes time and money to fight these "rules".

hermannr

Anybody want to bet on it was intentional? to get standing for a law suit?

Think about the medical student from TN and NY's reaction, and this guy as a unit, not as individuals (I'm not saying they were, but NY legislature sees them as a unit)

I'm thinking this was intentional.