• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New & Overwhelmed

littlebit

Hey ya'll, I have a couple questions and this seems to be one of the most active forums, at least that I was able to find. Feel free to redirect me if I'm in the wrong place!
1. I picked up my CC application today since I'm finally 21 (had no idea you could OC at 18, guess I should have done my research). Is there anything I need to carry on me should I choose to OC or will I be ok with just my CC permit? Should I carry a copy of the laws? I'm scared someone will start harassing me over carrying and my mind will go blank! :eek:
2. And if I read correctly when browsing, you can OC as long as there is not a sign posted prohibiting it? I always thought you couldn't carry at all in Walmart but saw a couple threads about it.
3. Any gun recommendations? I've had my eye on a S & W Bodyguard 380 because I wanted something small enough to conceal on my small frame (5ft & 100lbs soaking wet) and I like the idea of a manual safety but I'm open to suggestions.
4. One last question, I promise. My husband is gone a lot and my neighborhood is kinda iffy, we always have a lot of creepy people soliciting useless stuff, is it considered brandishing a firearm if I open the door with a gun in my hand? (Not pointed at the person, of course) Is there a legal way to go about letting them know you are carrying or what?

I'm sure I seem like a complete idiot, take it easy on me :D

ArmySoldier22

Hey ya'll, I have a couple questions and this seems to be one of the most active forums, at least that I was able to find. Feel free to redirect me if I'm in the wrong place!
1. I picked up my CC application today since I'm finally 21 (had no idea you could OC at 18, guess I should have done my research). Is there anything I need to carry on me should I choose to OC or will I be ok with just my CC permit? Should I carry a copy of the laws? I'm scared someone will start harassing me over carrying and my mind will go blank! :eek:
2. And if I read correctly when browsing, you can OC as long as there is not a sign posted prohibiting it? I always thought you couldn't carry at all in Walmart but saw a couple threads about it.
3. Any gun recommendations? I've had my eye on a S & W Bodyguard 380 because I wanted something small enough to conceal on my small frame (5ft & 100lbs soaking wet) and I like the idea of a manual safety but I'm open to suggestions.
4. One last question, I promise. My husband is gone a lot and my neighborhood is kinda iffy, we always have a lot of creepy people soliciting useless stuff, is it considered brandishing a firearm if I open the door with a gun in my hand? (Not pointed at the person, of course) Is there a legal way to go about letting them know you are carrying or what?

Lol, I think you actually ask quite a few valid questions. I'm by no means an expert on all things OC, but I'll tell you what I do know.

As far as places off limits, there really aren't a whole lot in general. I'm going to start this off with a topic that I've seen get heated before lol, but I'll still say it none-the-less. No Carry Concealed signs mean exactly that. It means I can walk in their OCing and I'm still not doing anything wrong. A lot of people don't want to test those waters, and that's ok, do what you're comfortable with. Personally, I'm not comfortable ever not having my firearm, but that's just me. Now if it just says No Weapons, or No Firearms, then yeah, it's off limits. No matter what though, if you're asked to leave an establishment, it's always best to leave and fight the fight with upper management. As far as Wal-Mart goes, no specific wal-mart can stop you from carrying, there is no corporate policy against it. If you're asked to leave, a quick talk with the manager will fix that. No matter where you go, there's going to be people against you carrying, luckily most of them keep their mouths shut. And most people in general are fine with it or don't notice it at all. I'd actually recommend going into Wal-Mart right away. It's one of the best places to go to get comfortable with having a gun on you around a lot of people. There are other places off limits as well, such as establishments where alcohol is both SOLD AND CONSUMED "AND". If it's just one or the other, it's still good-to-go. So "for now" no bars or restaurants that serve alcohol until we can get that bill passed. Because I sure am missing Applebees. There are other places as well, and I'm sure others will chime in on those.

When it comes to people harassing you, it may or may not happen. Some people on here have OC'ed for years and never had an encounter. I've OC'ed for less than a year and have had a few. The best thing I can tell you is to know the laws. Read, read, read, and then read it all again until you can shut down anybody that harasses you and make them feel like an idiot for opening their mouth lol. But don't overdue it :p, sometimes there are just people that want to talk about it because they're curious, and a few of us have even managed to bring in new OC'ers by sharing the laws.

When it comes to choosing a firearm for self defense, there are a lot of experts that say don't go below .40, and that's what I carry. But that HUGELY depends on you as well. Carry the biggest caliber that you're comfortable with firing. The best thing you can do is go to a range and rent different firearms so that you can tell which one suits you best. A .45 is all good, but if you can't hold on to it, then that one shot better be a good one. Now if you can hit the center of a target with a .38 all day, and that's a good fit for you, then that's what works for you.

As far as opening the door with a gun in hand. I don't live in the worse neighborhood, but I don't live in the best one either. A few people on here know about a couple of the encounters I've had. My door does not get opened unless my gun is either in my hand, or on my hip. Because if somebody decides they're going to try to overpower you, that gun isn't going to do much good sitting on the table 10ft away. I've even had police officers come to my door asking about disturbances around here, and my gun is still on my hip lol. My safety and those I care about always comes first.

So welcome to OCDO, and hopefully we'll see you around from here on out :)

Last edited:

Dreamer

Welcome to OCDO, "littlebit", and welcome to the minefield that is OC in North Carolina...

You asked a lot of questions, so I'll break it down for you one by one. This might take some time, so get comfortable... :rolleyes:

You DO NOT need to carry your CHP if you are OCing. OC in North Carolina is a fundamental right, guaranteed by our State Constitution, and backed up by case law. It is an established right, and requires no permission, license, or permit to exercise, as long as you are not a "prohibited person". You don't even to carry a photo ID to legally Open Carry, unless you are also operating a motor vehicle. NC is NOT a "stop and ID state". You are only required by law to tell an LEO your name and address--you are NOT required to show any form of paper ID...

As a general rule you can carry anywhere that is not posted. However, some places have "super double-secret" prohibitions against carry--they don't post, they won't say anything when you enter, but after you've ordered the food or filled your shopping cart (and are committed to the purchase) they will hassle you about carrying.

If you are asked to leave because you are carrying--posted or not--you must leave, or you could be charged with trespassing.

Government buildings--state and local--are almost ENTIRELY off-limits--most are clearly posted.

Most malls in the US are actually owned by one of three companies in the UK or France, and tend to have anti-gun policies. Check for signs--many are posted, but not clearly.

You can't carry in movie theaters. You can't carry in any restaurant or establishment that serves alcohol.

You CAN carry in WalMarts--in ANY STATE that allows OC. It is WalMart's corporate policy to follow state laws regarding carry, and their Headquarters DO NOT allow local managers to set policy.

Other retailers that are generally OC-friendly are Food Lion, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, most auto parts stores, Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, pretty much all fast food joints, and some banks. (State Employees Credit Union is the unofficial official bank of OCDO in NC. :lol:)

The key is to MEMORIZE the list of "prohibited places" in the NC law, and then keep your eyes peeled for signs...

My suggestion is to go to a range that rents guns, and try as many different makes and models as you can until you find one that is comfortable, fits your hands, and suits your needs. Renting cost a little bit, but it's a LOT cheaper than buying a gun and then figuring out that it is the wrong gun and having to sell it...

Answering your door with a gun on your hip in a clear OC position should be sufficient. Answering you rdoor with a gun in your hand to a person who is not posing an immediate threat would probably get you charged with something, although not "brandishing", because NC does not have a "brandishing law"...

Not at all. In fact, you seem pretty wise--you've come here as a "newbie" and politely asked some great questions. You seem willing to listen to our opinions--that is FAR from being an idiot.

Being an idiot is if you were a newbie, and you OCed into a movie theater and then got mouthy with the manager when told that you couldn't carry there, and then came onto OCDO to tell everyone what an idiot the movie theater manager was...

Last edited:

chiefjason

I OC at home so it's obvious to anyone paying attention that I am armed. I think it makes the interactions more pleasant and more brief. lol If you want it in your hand, keep it out of sight. Also, have you considered a shotgun for home defense?

As far as guns, shoot as many as you can and then decide. My wife just bought a Kahr CW9. I have shot it a few times and have to say that the recoil is very manageable for a smaller gun. And she is happy with the weight of it too. I don't get very hung up on caliber. But make sure you can shoot it so you will want to practice with it. I have a Keltec P3at in .380 and my wife hates it. It's a very snappy little gun. We had planned on it being her carry gun. Now it's my back up and "I need a tiny gun to deep conceal" gun.

REDFIVE48

Everyone did a good job answering your questions, but didn't fully answer your what should I carry question:
Dreamer said you don't need ID or your CHP, but what is normally recommended to carry are the NC Flyers (great reference should you ever need to check on something when you are unsure, and also good to hand out to those uninformed people)
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...8GsidedFW0hEOWh_wflvT7tpEVdnqbUfjnl_dbj&hl=en
It's not up to date with Dec 1 HB650 changes, but it's good enough.

Also, it's recommended to carry a digital recording device to capture any unexpected issues. I use my smart phone with a quick record app.

I would be surprised if you could get in trouble for answering the door in your own house carrying a handgun in your hand. It's your house, what are they going to say you did wrong? Well your honor, I was carrying my gun to my kitchen table so I could clean and inspect it when the doorbell rang, so I answered the door. What about that situation is problematic?

As for the Bodyguard, my buddy has one and it's a nice gun. I have a Ruger LCP that I use as a concealed carry gun in the hot months when I'm wearing shorts, I also OC it when I feel like it because I can actually OC it with shorts. Carry what you want, most people will never have to draw their gun, and of those who do, probably wont have to shoot it. If you do, .380 is plenty to take someone down, but I always think of it as a 'get off me gun', shoot enough to get distance between you and your attacker while they are bleeding from your little gun that could.

Welcome to the board

Dreamer

If you do, .380 is plenty to take someone down, but I always think of it as a 'get off me gun', shoot enough to get distance between you and your attacker while they are bleeding from your little gun that could.

Yes, I am of the same mind. I used to carry a Grendel P-12 as a backup, when my primary carry gun was a Colt Delta Elite 10mm...

I tend to steer women (especially small-framed women) away form tiny, subcompact, ultralight pistols. They tend to have more recoil, and are not fun to shoot.

Generally, I steer smaller shooters toward medium-sized metal-frame handguns shooting a mid-range cartridge. .38 Special revolvers are GREAT, especially with a 4-inch barrel, if recoil is an issue. Also, the smaller Sigs and 1911s in 9mm can be REALLY easy to shoot for people with small hands and not a lot of arm strength.

I'd steer away from .40s, .45acps, or .any of the revolvers chambered for the .410 shotshells. They tend to be bigger, bulkier, harder to conceal on a small frame, and difficult to handle, manipulate, clear and operate if you have small hands.

Look at the old-style all metal Walthers in 9mm, Sig Sauer, Colt 1911 Commander or Officer models chambered in 9mm, or Colt, Taurus, Rossi or Charter Arms revolvers in .357 Magnum (but shoot .38 special rounds in them--the .357 guns are a littl ebigger and heavier, but they will last longer, and the extra weight makes them easier to shoot)

If you're primarily considering OC as your mode of carry, then STAY AWAY from subcompacts, and "snubnosed" revolvers. Get a mid-sized or full-size gun if you're going to primarily OC it. IT will be easier to shoot, and since concealment isn't an issue, the larger size won't matter either.

Plus, the fact is, there is nothing more cute to a "real man" (or more intimidating to a thug) than a small-framed woman with full-size gun on her hip... ;)

Get thee to a range that rents guns, "littlebit", and "test drive" everything that catches your eye. If they have female staff, ask them what they carry, and what they like. Buying a carry gun is like buying a pair of new shoes--you sure as heck don't want some man doing it for you...:uhoh:

REDFIVE48

Couldn't agree with you more Dreamer, I actually hate shooting my LCP due to its snappy recoil. Now, I would have no trouble putting it into operation in an emergency situation, but as for taking it to the range, not my first choice and only shoot it enough to maintain proficiency. As far as carrying it, it's my favorite due to it's light weight and size, it's almost concealed when I OC it :)

OP may not have a desire to shoot regularly and only maintain a proficiency, in that case, they may decide the concealability is worth the fact it's not very 'fun' to shoot. I'm actually like that with most of my guns, maintain proficiency with my handguns, but at the range I prefer my AR as it's the most fun to shoot.

Recently rented a 1911 chambered in 9mm and actually loved shooting that gun, may need to put that on the wishlist. Between that and the Baretta 92 series gun, they have been the smoothest and most enjoyable handguns to shoot for me so far, unfortunately I own neither.

REDFIVE48

My wife likes her Ruger LCP. She does not have the strength to work the slide on a semiauto. The recoil on the LCP is not too bad when using .38 Spl.
Also, check out www.corneredcat.com It has a lot of good info.

Thanks for that link, I enjoyed the parts I've been able to read so far, very applicable to my point. Since she doesn't have the strength to work the slide, does she have an LCR? I find it hard to work the slide on the LCP because it's small, I once dropped my gun when the slide slipped out of my grip.

11B2O

.380 is plenty to take someone down, but I always think of it as a 'get off me gun', shoot enough to get distance between you and your attacker while they are bleeding from your little gun that could.

Contrary to popular belief it's not about the size of the bullet, but rather shot placement that does the most damage. In Iraq and Afghanistan, I've seen guys drop from any number of bullets from 1 round to 10 rounds. All from the same weapon system. The only difference between the targets is how accurate the shots were. Unless your carrying around a Barrett M107, then the size of the round isn't going to matter as much as shot placement. Bottom line, just get something that your good with and something that's reliable. As other people have already stated, a good option is to go to a range that rents guns out.

chiefjason

Thanks for that link, I enjoyed the parts I've been able to read so far, very applicable to my point. Since she doesn't have the strength to work the slide, does she have an LCR? I find it hard to work the slide on the LCP because it's small, I once dropped my gun when the slide slipped out of my grip.

Here is what I taught my wife. Assuming right handed, grab the slide with your left hand thumb side up. Hold the grip firmly with the right hand. Hold the handgun at arms length but about waist high. Here is the trick, don't try to pull the slide back with the left hand. You are likely not strong enough. Use your shoulders and drive the right hand forward until you push the slide out of your left hand. Right elbow stays locked. Basically, you are just using larger muscle groups to accomplish the same task. I hope this makes sense.

SovereignAxe

My wife likes her Ruger LCP. She does not have the strength to work the slide on a semiauto. The recoil on the LCP is not too bad when using .38 Spl.
Also, check out www.corneredcat.com It has a lot of good info.

I think you mean LCR. LCP is the semi-auto, LCR is the light carry Revolver

Here is what I taught my wife. Assuming right handed, grab the slide with your left hand thumb side up. Hold the grip firmly with the right hand. Hold the handgun at arms length but about waist high. Here is the trick, don't try to pull the slide back with the left hand. You are likely not strong enough. Use your shoulders and drive the right hand forward until you push the slide out of your left hand. Right elbow stays locked. Basically, you are just using larger muscle groups to accomplish the same task. I hope this makes sense.

this! This is how i learned to rack the slide (or bolt, whatever you want to call it. the operation was similar to a Ruger Standard, but styled like a 1911) on my BB gun pistol when I was a kid. That thing had a beast of a spring on it because the spring supplied all of the power-it was not a pump or CO2 powered.

Last edited:

Shimmer

Contrary to popular belief it's not about the size of the bullet, but rather shot placement that does the most damage. In Iraq and Afghanistan, I've seen guys drop from any number of bullets from 1 round to 10 rounds. All from the same weapon system. The only difference between the targets is how accurate the shots were. Unless your carrying around a Barrett M107, then the size of the round isn't going to matter as much as shot placement. Bottom line, just get something that your good with and something that's reliable. As other people have already stated, a good option is to go to a range that rents guns out.

This is true, in technicality. It would also be technically fair to say that for someone firing a .22, who is not an expert marksman/woman, a torso shot is significantly less likely to be debilitating than, say, a .45, due to the lack or presence of greater cavitation. So it would be fairer to say, given the average training of an armed citizen, that its best to go with the most effective round/weapon one is comfortable with using. This is true for other situations, as well, I suppoe.

11B2O

This is true, in technicality. It would also be technically fair to say that for someone firing a .22, who is not an expert marksman/woman, a torso shot is significantly less likely to be debilitating than, say, a .45, due to the lack or presence of greater cavitation. So it would be fairer to say, given the average training of an armed citizen, that its best to go with the most effective round/weapon one is comfortable with using. This is true for other situations, as well, I suppoe.

Well played sir, well played. I guess sometimes I forget the fact that not everyone has ample amount of shooting experience, especially at live targets under stress in less than optimal conditions. On a side note, I don't have hate for any particular round size. I own them all :lol:

ArmySoldier22

Well played sir, well played. I guess sometimes I forget the fact that not everyone has ample amount of shooting experience, especially at live targets under stress in less than optimal conditions. On a side note, I don't have hate for any particular round size. I own them all :lol:

You also have to think about penetration power as well. As you know, the 5.56 round isn't exactly small. But it has more penetration power than stopping power. 3-4 rounds going straight through somebody "sometimes" isn't as effective as say a .40 or .45 fragmenting inside a person. That's something soldiers have been complaining about for years now lol. I definitely see where you're coming from as far as shot placement goes though, because if 2 in the chest doesn't work, then you go for that 1 in the head. But the average person isn't used to those scenarios or, as you said, the stress that comes with it.

Bluemax

Yes, I meant to type LCR. That is what she has.
I have tried to teach her how to work the slide using different methods. Alll it did was fustrate her and me.
At least she carries now.

littlebit

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the useful information, I'm going to a range next week to try out a few guns, and hopefully come home with one as well :)

Dreamer

"littlebit", I'm actually going to be in Fayetteville visiting family Saturday and Sunday (this weekend). Maybe we could met up for coffee and discuss OC or something. I don't know if I have much time, but I might be able to get away for a quick trip to Starbucks or something.

And I'll be OCing of course... :monkey

ArmySoldier22

"littlebit", I'm actually going to be in Fayetteville visiting family Saturday and Sunday (this weekend). Maybe we could met up for coffee and discuss OC or something. I don't know if I have much time, but I might be able to get away for a quick trip to Starbucks or something.

And I'll be OCing of course... :monkey

Woah, you just got offered a meet up with the man himself. We are not worthy...

Lol, kidding aside, one of the best ways to get comfortable OCing is spending time around other people who do it. That's why I love our meets out here.