• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A&E's Parking Wars

Onnie

The other day I seen the episode where a WSU Officer told a CPL holder he could not have is pistol visible with a CPL. While its 14 months late, i decided to write WSU Chief of police anyways, his response follows my letter. I have edited my and his responses for some obvious spelling and writing errors. While not completely receptive it was better than the old preverbal buzz off

Dear Chief Holt,

While watching A&E's Parking Wars I heard one of your Sergeant who arrived on a scene of a gentleman's car that was booted give totally false and incorrect legal information to CPL holder. I am confident you are aware of the episode, but if not it was #57 which originally aired on October 19, 2010.This episode was released over 14 months ago and I am sure you have been made aware of its contents and have seen the video. I apologize for the lateness of my letter from when it aired.

First let me say, the person's who car was booted in my personal opinion, was totally in the wrong on how he handled the situation with parking enforcement.

As a CPL holder, we carry our weapons as a last resort for self protection and as you and I are aware, confrontations of this nature does not lead up to the litmus test of self protection. We do not wear our guns for intimidation. He gave law abiding citizens who carry handguns with or without a CPL a bad eye that day.

But its not the citizen I am writing about, its about the Sergeant who gave incorrect and totally inaccurate information in his statement that "when you have a CCW (?) its suppose to be concealed."
then to paraphrase he said "at no point when you have a concealed weapon am I suppose to see it".

First we don't have CCW's those went out long ago, we have CPL (Concealed Pistol License)

Second, it is not illegal to "open carry" or to have your weapon visible once you have received your CPL. It is a shame that too many officers still believe that if you were given the permission from the state to conceal you weapon, something you can not do WITHOUT a CPL, you are REQUIRED to conceal it.

If I am correct, WSU is not covered under MCL 123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms. But this officer was NOT on WSU property from what I seen in the video. I am not versed in WSU laws, but if this Sgt was on public property and it seems he was, he should quote Michigan law correctly.

I hope that since this aired this officer and others in you department has been made aware that a person with a CPL in many circumstances may legally carry his pistol in plain view, it DOES NOT have to be concealed, the CPL is a license that ALLOWS one to conceal, not REQUIRE.

It is also legal for many citizens of Michigan to "open carry" a pistol WITHOUT a CPL.

I have attached a copy of Michigan State Police update 86 for your reference just in the off chance you had not seen it. Michigan Open Carry worked with the MSP to ensure the information it contained was as accurate as it could be. We are grateful to the State Police for allowing us the opportunity to be a part of such an important document referencing handguns.

Michigan Open Carry is a handgun advocacy group who's focus is to educate all those concerned on the laws regarding the legal carry of handgun in Michigan.

We don't like to see this kind of issue make TV its give Detroit a worse reputation, but more than that, it gives the wrong impression about law abiding citizens who choose to carry a handgun legally for self protection. It also does not help when Officers wrongfully quote Michigan law.

Michigan Open carry is more than willing to work with any police agency in the state to make sure inaccurate statements like the one the Sgt made in the episode don't happen again.

Sincerely

me

his response

Hello Mr XXX and thanks for your observations but you are basically preaching to the choir. I am well verse in the rules,regulations and restrictions of CPL and open carry. I did not see the espisode you are refering to and in fact this is the (first) mention I have heard of my officer involvement. Rest assure that I will review the televised segment and take whatever steps I need if necessary to correct and inform. Again thanks for the information and dialogue.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
His response seems like a blow-off, but great work on your end. Everything you wrote was well-worded and professional.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My first thought was that there is a friggin' TV show now about parking tickets? And it's on a network called "Arts & Entertainment?" I sure don't regret not having TV...

My second thought was that you did an OUTSTANDING job. First, you got off your ass and wrote a letter, something most of us just don't get done even when we really have every intention to do so. Second, it was a very well-written letter that does all of us a service.

I think his response, while quite terse, was very promising. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt so far.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You are too cynical. I have written many letters like this and know what a "blow off" response looks like. That was not it. Good job Onnie.

I very well may be wrong. I was simply making an observation. To me it looked like the typical "I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'll "check it out."" Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Too cynical? I don't think so. Besides the main part of my post was my compliment to Onnie. :)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
i did... i had nothing to say about that comment. i was simply adding my vote to to "not-blow-off" column.

Sorry, I was a little testy about folks picking on my choice of words. I have since put on my big boy pants and returned to the land of adults. :)

Last edited:

Onnie

Thanks everyone, I completely forgot about writing them when I first saw it over a year ago! Then WHAM it was on again last night!

I was surprise he mentioned he never even seen the episode! If one of my officers was featured on TV, as the chief of police, I think I would want to watch the show just to critique.
but that is just me i guess!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
WSU= Washington State University?
WSU= Wichita State University?
WSU= Wright State University?
WSU= Weber State University?
WSU= Winona State University?
WSU= Winkelman's School for Undertakers?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Rolling On Floor Laughing My Ass Off = RFLMAO

Wayne State University = WSU

Well played Doc ;)

I really didn't know while reading the story. In reference to the school, I'd only heard of: "Wayne State University" or "Wayne State". I actually needed to do a web search AFTER reading it, and then was only 90% sure.

Onnie

I really didn't know while reading the story. In reference to the school, I'd only heard of: "Wayne State University" or "Wayne State". I actually needed to do a web search AFTER reading it, and then was only 90% sure.

sorry its a local thing i guess!

Wookie Star-Wars University?

Last edited:

Onnie

the said thing is i know this guy.lol my wrestling coach...

I'm sure he is an upstanding officer, he just got it wrong! I was surprised it was never mentioned to the Chief. I though some gun avocate would have mentioned it by now! i was a newbe when it aired the first time, and to be honest I was ascared! to mentioned it to "Wayne State" (hows that I did not use WSU)LOL:dude: