• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New o/cer

101er

Hi,
I'm a new member, I'm north of Dayton and wondered if there were any members or groups in the area, or somone in the Dayton area. I do not have a CHL yet, the county I live in is terrible about getting it done and it's a lot of hassle to go out of county with my work schedule.
Thank you and I'm happy to be here!!!

Makarov

Hello New Carrier. I live in the Belmount area and carry along with my wife every day. Lthr Neck on the forums lives in Inglewood he is pretty motivated but has become Ill. I would like to see more carriers from Dayton but it seems most of the regulars left the area because of employment. Love to get a new bunch of folks together for a meet and greet.

CDMAGS

Hey Y'all I am also North of Dayton. I haven't OCed yet, but I am in the process of getting a new holster.

Just One Shot

Hi,
I'm a new member, I'm north of Dayton and wondered if there were any members or groups in the area, or somone in the Dayton area. I do not have a CHL yet, the county I live in is terrible about getting it done and it's a lot of hassle to go out of county with my work schedule.
Thank you and I'm happy to be here!!!

FYI you don't need a CHL to open carry. Wasn't sure if you are aware of this. :D

101er

New Carrier, make sure you are up on Ohio's laws, and make a voice recorder part of your daily gear.

Thanks for the advice, I already have the recorder and I keep track of the laws as best I can, usually downloading pdfs of them.
Wondering, how is O/Cing in Cincy?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Last edited:

Noel Avenelle

That's a good question - keep us posted.

It seems someone got Cincinnati's attention recently:

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/pages/-44872-/

Check out the July 12, 2012 Staff Notes, item 3.

Was looking, don't see a july 12th entry. Also looked at July 10th and 17th, as well as june 12th incase you had mistyped. Nothing I see.

Edit: Found it: July 3rd, 2012, item 3.

3. LAW DEPARTMENT MEMO ON OPEN CARRY OF A FIREARM IN OHIO
Ohio law permits the open carry of a firearm with few exceptions. Citizens may
openly carry firearms in public places unless there is a specific prohibition against
carrying a firearm in that place (police station, school safety zone, courthouse, etc.).
Since Cleveland v. State of Ohio, 2010-Ohio-6318, regulation of the “ownership,
possession, purchase, other acquisition, transport, storage, carrying, sale, or other
transfer of firearms, their components, and their ammunition” is only done by state
and federal law. Local municipal laws may only regulate the discharge of firearms.
Therefore, officers should not charge individuals with violations of the Cincinnati
Municipal Code unless the ordinance deals with the discharge of a firearm

The notice continues on for almost a whole page. Seems good. Will the cops actually care? Probably not.

Last edited:

bhclark

"Many people worry when they see someone openly carrying a gun. Officers can
expect to receive calls when this happens. But, openly carrying a firearm, by itself, is
not illegal. The fact that someone has called 911 or flagged down an officer about
seeing someone with a gun in public is probably not enough to support an
investigative detention. In such situations, an officer must observe the subject and
evaluate the totality of circumstances to determine whether reasonable suspicion
exists to justify detaining the individual. If the individual is doing nothing else that
arouses suspicion, simply wearing a gun will not justify a detention.
It is important to note, open carry by itself also would not support a charge of
Disorderly Conduct or Inducing Panic. There must be additional facts to support
these offenses. If someone is lawfully carrying a firearm—and doing nothing else—
the fact that it causes alarm to others does not support a charge.
Equally important, before you charge someone with a violation of Ohio Revised
Code (ORC) 2921.29, Failure to Disclose Personal Information (also referred to
as the “Stop and I.D.” law), you first must have reasonable suspicion that person has,
is, or is about to commit a criminal offense. The “Stop and I.D.” law does not apply
unless you already have a valid investigative detention of the person – and open
carry by itself is not enough. Citizens may ignore your request for information during
a consensual encounter, so you may only charge a citizen with a violation of ORC
2921.29 when they are legally detained.
Private businesses or property owners may prohibit all firearms on their property.
They may post signs prohibiting firearms or they may order a person to leave for
such behavior. Criminal Trespass is the appropriate charge if a person is on private
property in violation of such a prohibition.
Direct any questions regarding this issue to Mr. Peter Stackpole, or Mr. Charlie
Rubenstein, Law Department, at 352-3334. "

cabledawg

Hello fellow Ohoians! Just moved here in January and plan to OC. Saw this thread and thought I'd jump in. I'll be checking out the FB page :cool:

Makarov

Anyone up for a meeting

I know a carry friendly restaurant if anyone is up for a meeting. It’s the Hasty Tasty on Linden Ave, just off state route 35.

101er

I know a carry friendly restaurant if anyone is up for a meeting. It’s the Hasty Tasty on Linden Ave, just off state route 35.

When would you want ot meet, if we could get a few people to show I'd be happy to, be nice to meet some people from the forum.

zack991

Some simple tips

1. If carrying concealed, IMMEDIATELY inform as required by law. SHOUT OVER THE COP if necessary to do so. There are AT LEAST two documented cases of cops ordering people to be silent then charging them with "failure to promptly notify", in one instance after a ***53 second*** delay caused by the victim being ORDERED AT GUNPOINT TO REMAIN SILENT.
2. ALWAYS carry and use a voice recorder when carrying a firearm, whether concealed or openly. It is a given that when cops err or intentionally misbehave, they LIE just as any other offender will.
3. When carrying concealed, you must have BOTH your Ohio CHL (or recognized equivalent) AND a second form of ID, such as a driver's license. When open carrying, you need have NO ID AT ALL.
4. When stopped (after notifying, if required) ask, "Am I free to leave?" That cuts through any obfuscation or dissimulation on the cop's part.
5. If free to leave, do so, QUICKLY. Do not prolong the encounter unnecessarily with smalltalk. Cops don't do smalltalk. They do questioning, sometimes in the guise of smalltalk.
6. If told that you are NOT free to leave, tell the cop, "I have nothing further to say to you without a lawyer present." ID yourself ONLY as required by law. Do NOT consent to ANY searches. Comply if subject to physical coercion. Verbally register your non-consent so that it is recorded. Then SHUT UP.

Ohio Open carry tips.
Bottom line: you are not required, by Hiibel or by the ORC to supply any identifying information when walking in public unless certain circumstances apply.
ORC 2921.29 says:
(A) No person who is in a public place shall refuse to disclose the person’s name, address, or date of birth, when requested by a law enforcement officer who reasonably suspects either of the following:

(1) The person is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a criminal offense. (sounds like the requirements for a legal Terry stop, eh?)
(2) The person witnessed any of the following:
(a) An offense of violence that would constitute a felony under the laws of this state;
(b) A felony offense that causes or results in, or creates a substantial risk of, serious physical harm to another person or to property;
(c) Any attempt or conspiracy to commit, or complicity in committing, any offense identified in division (A)(2)(a) or (b) of this section;
(d) Any conduct reasonably indicating that any offense identified in division (A)(2)(a) or (b) of this section or any attempt, conspiracy, or complicity described in division (A)(2)(c) of this section has been, is being, or is about to be committed

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.29

My plan is this...
cop} "May/Can I see some ID"?
me} "May/Can I hear some RAS"? then shut up, if he persists in demanding ID without stating RAS my next statement will be "You have just opened the door to a Chapter 42 US Code 1983 Civil Rights Law Suit, am I free to go"?
"Am I free to leave? No? I have nothing further to say without my attorney present."

Last edited:

CornfedinOhio

An officer must have RAS to detain and investigate. However, Officers are not required to disclose it to the suspect. Imagine LEO gets called to a bank robbery. He sees you walking down the street OC. He may very well stop you and question you. He will not tell you his RAS. Can you imagine asking a bank robber if he was a bank robber? Or telling him you are looking for a bank robber?
You can ask if he has RAS but I wouldn't expect him to justify or clarify it to you.

It would be nice if the officer would tell us what he thinks we did wrong but it just won't happen.

Guns kill and iPhones mispelt wordz.

w8asa

Meet-N-Greet

When would you want ot meet, if we could get a few people to show I'd be happy to, be nice to meet some people from the forum.

I'd be glad to show up in order to meet others from this forum. I just joined today. I live in Centerville, so meeting at the restaurant on Linden would be very convenient for me.

I OC and CC every day, and have for years.

Last edited:

cabledawg

That's just south of the base. I could take a long lunch and meet up, although I wouldnt be OC since I'd be in uniform.

w8asa

Someone name the date

That's just south of the base. I could take a long lunch and meet up, although I wouldnt be OC since I'd be in uniform.

Who wants to organize this? I can't, but would definitely show up because my schedule is very flexible.

Makarov

Wheels are starting to turn on this meet and greet

I guess I will start this organization unless someone else want to? Ok, I wish this system could take a vote! I'm thinking about an afternoon on a weekend or an evening time during the week like at 6 or 7. Please let me know what you think. I'm flexible!

Last edited: