• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Price of Guns & Ammo if Obama wins...

hunter45

Do you think the price of guns and ammunition is going to skyrocket next week if Obama gets re-elected (much like it did in 2008)? I was thinking that if Obama wins, I might go online and order a few thousand rounds of ammo before prices go up. Does that sound like a good idea or am I over reacting?

bunnspecial

My dad and I just went together and ordered some from Freedom Munitions-1000 rounds of 9mm for him, and 1000 mixed of 38 special and 357 magnum for me. I haven't tried it yet, but the reviews are good and I thought it would be worth trying for the price.

I do think that ammo shortages and resultant price increases are likely if Obama does win next week.

The local Wal-Mart has been out of 22LR bulk packs for about a month now-I'm going to stop by today and hope that they have it back in. I am down to about 100 rounds in my last box, and will probably try to pick up 2-3 more as soon as they get it back in stock. I refuse to pay $6-7 for a 100 rounds of 22LR when the same grade of ammo is $20 for 550.

Shoobee

Do you think the price of guns and ammunition is going to skyrocket next week if Obama gets re-elected (much like it did in 2008)? I was thinking that if Obama wins, I might go online and order a few thousand rounds of ammo before prices go up. Does that sound like a good idea or am I over reacting?

You can't eat ammo or guns, so if you need a specific gun or more ammo then you should get it regardless of what all the other gun owning reactionaries will do to drive up the price of guns and ammo.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/31/politics/gun-ownership-declining/index.html

Based on CNN's research, the gun buying spree has been buy present owners not new owners. So that's what you are up against.

And since you can't eat guns or ammo, you should be saving cash in the bank and bug-out supplies in your home in case you need either one.

hunter45

How much do you think the price of ARs and AKs would go up? I'd imagine they would increase in value if he won after he made that comment about the assault weapons ban in the debate last month.

Shoobee

How much do you think the price of ARs and AKs would go up? I'd imagine they would increase in value if he won after he made that comment about the assault weapons ban in the debate last month.

I think just about everyone who loves them already has their own AK-47 and AR-15 if not several. They come in several styles you know, long barrel, short barrel etc. For the past 4 years they have already been buying them up like crazy. The supply is in such excess now that it may turn out to be just like the real estate bubble back in 2008 finally when it burst.

I doubt they would be worth very much if you are trying to corner the market.

I would stick to gold and silver if you are trying to make a buck on arbitrage.

If you ever have to bug out of Virginia and head for the mountains, you can't carry a whole gunlocker full. One handgun and one rifle is about all you can carry, maybe a shotgun in a scabbard too. Backpack. 3 day supply. Water. Tent. Sleeping bag. Ammo.

Doomsday Preppers is starting a new season, so they should be interviewing all sorts of new preppers on it. You might want to get some other supplies too. Just in case.

Plus if you think there is actually going to be an assault weapons ban, such as both Romney and Obama have said they each believe in personally, then you must be betting that the DNC will capture the US House too, and that it would be the end of Boehner, Lordy sakes alive, wouldn't that be great, but nobody thinks that is going to happen.

And even if it did, the US Supreme Court under Roberts might very well overrule an assault weapons ban, because assault rifles are popular, and lots of law abiding citizens own them, even though there are a few bad apples here and there who have gone schizo and shot up theatres, schools, parking lots, malls, and other places with them.

Then again maybe the USSC even with John Roberts will decide that civilians should not have military type high capacity force multiplying rifles, just like Romney and Obama believe. Maybe and maybe not.

Gold and silver are a safer bet though. That's if you already have all your other prepper gear ready to go.

Last edited:

Shoobee

On the flip side, does anyone see any change for the good if he does not get re-elected?

Yes, the economy is slowly fixing itself.

Affordable health care has been ushered in and this should take care of the uninsured problem in America.

Tax cuts for the middle class have a chance of being passed.

Tax cuts for the rich will finally end, and the rich will start to pay their fair share again, unlike during the past 12 years.

Tax benefits that allow big corporations to ship jobs overseas will have a chance of being repealed and this will increase jobs in America.

Iraq is over and Afghanistan will soon be over too. Romney wanted to stay longer if not indefinitely in both places.

There will be less waste on military spending as 2 wars end and our heroes are brought back home.

Four more years under Pres Obama look extremely bright, indeed.

A slow recovery, but neither Mitt nor the Pres can speed it up anyway.

The only trick in Romney's book is more tax cuts for the rich. That's why the rich are volunteering to pass out the koolaid to the poor and middle class now and to all the independents so the rich can get more tax cuts for themselves, just like during the Reagan party days.

Last edited:

markush

That exact scenario is WHY prices go up...

KYKevin

The price is going to go up no matter what. You don't see em going down ever. Politics has nothing to do with it. Just an excuse to raise prices more.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

You can't eat ammo or guns, so if you need a specific gun or more ammo then you should get it regardless of what all the other gun owning reactionaries will do to drive up the price of guns and ammo.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/31/politics/gun-ownership-declining/index.html

Based on CNN's research, the gun buying spree has been buy present owners not new owners. So that's what you are up against.

And since you can't eat guns or ammo, you should be saving cash in the bank and bug-out supplies in your home in case you need either one.

Actually you are false again, not surprising. Guns and ammo were vital during the depression for people to eat, people lost homes and farms but they kept at least one gun to hunt for food. And the weapons will be needed to keep the food that you have if there is a event.

Or you can do like the rest of the progressives and beg FEMA for handouts.

Shoobee

Actually you are false again, not surprising. Guns and ammo were vital during the depression for people to eat, people lost homes and farms but they kept at least one gun to hunt for food. And the weapons will be needed to keep the food that you have if there is a event.

Or you can do like the rest of the progressives and beg FEMA for handouts.

You are talking about 22LR's and shotguns though, to hunt for food though.

While he is talking about AK-47's and AR-15's instead.

So you are wrong again WWolf.

WalkingWolf

The price is going to go up no matter what. You don't see em going down ever.

Actually yes I can if the regulations are removed. I remember the day when you could buy a gun at a grocery or hardware store. My first rifle was purchased from Woolworths. I bought my first 1911 from a old veteran that lived down the street, he had a box full of them from WW2. Soldiers should be allowed to bring home captured weapons if they get the tax stamps for autos. More legally owned guns would make a safer America, and would arm more low income people.

OC for ME

Cash in the bank.....too funny, after 'if' hits the fan. Do not misunderstand, as things stand today and for the foreseeable future a bank is exactly where your money needs to be.....until you realize you can't get to your money because it is in a bank.

A ranch rifle, good wheel gun, and a diesel pick-up truck. That is the baseline starting point for after 'if' hits the fan.

twoskinsonemanns

Yup exactly. I am hoping this will only affect 5.56 and 7.62 military ammo though.

And not 45ACP or .300RUM.

You hope ammo other people use go up in price and the ammo you use is not effected?

You are a terrible human being.

Shoobee

You hope ammo other people use go up in price and the ammo you use is not effected?

You are a terrible human being.

I don't have any assault guns -- which shoot 5.56 or 7.62 so it does not affect me.

I hunt with 300RUM and I defends my castle with 45ACP and 12 gauge. Nobody is gobbling up 300 RUM or 45ACP or 12 gauge. The gun fanatics are more into the 5.56 or the 7.62.

Has nothing to do with me. It's driven by the gun fanatics -- those who are addicted to buying guns that they do not need in numbers beyond all human abilities to do anything practical with.

So leave me out of it bozo.

Last edited:

Shoobee

Cash in the bank.....too funny, after 'if' hits the fan. Do not misunderstand, as things stand today and for the foreseeable future a bank is exactly where your money needs to be.....until you realize you can't get to your money because it is in a bank.

A ranch rifle, good wheel gun, and a diesel pick-up truck. That is the baseline starting point for after 'if' hits the fan.

You are completely right -- even cash in the bank is no guarantee of anything.

But so far during this great recession triggered on Bush's watch it has been cash in the bank that has saved people from homelessness when their underwater mortgages and homes were repossessed by the bank and they ended up on the street because they gambled that by going hopelessly into debt they would get rich.

Ergo cash in the bank is the only thing that protects you from the stupidity of the maddening crowds.

Cash in the bank is a good thing.

The economy has been improving slowly, same as it did in Japan in the 1990s during their own great recession, and so there is now light at the end of the tunnel. Thus bugging out (except before a hurricane -- no brainer there) for SHTF is not an imminent threat.

We just need to get through tomorrow and hope that the flip flopping liar nominated by the Repub party will be defeated on election day so that the recovery albeit slow can continue, rather than return to the policies of the Bush admin which allowed this to happen in the first place. Right now the polls are close on the popular vote, but the picture for the Electoral College looks brighter, fortunately.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2012/romney-vs-obama-electoral-map

Last edited: