• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC fixed blade in Fl

bryan00989

Hey guys, to my understanding it is legal to open carry a fixed blade knife from what I read in the statues/local PD. Anybody else living in FL EDC a fixed blade knife? If so what knife do you prefer to carry and where? Personally I always carry my SOG Pentagon elite (folder) in my strong side pocket. Just recently picked up a Gerber Prodigy, Ka-bar TDI, and my most recent a ESEE izula. I have my Prodigy for camping/fishing or other outdoor activities as it's a rather large knife (3 o'clock strong side attached to belt) . I like the Ka-bar TDI so far, small enough to not be to noticeable even with OC (10:30 weak side). Still waiting for my izula in the mail. Anyone have anything to say about the izula also?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey guys, to my understanding it is legal to open carry a fixed blade knife from what I read in the statues/local PD. Anybody else living in FL EDC a fixed blade knife? If so what knife do you prefer to carry and where? Personally I always carry my SOG Pentagon elite (folder) in my strong side pocket. Just recently picked up a Gerber Prodigy, Ka-bar TDI, and my most recent a ESEE izula. I have my Prodigy for camping/fishing or other outdoor activities as it's a rather large knife (3 o'clock strong side attached to belt) . I like the Ka-bar TDI so far, small enough to not be to noticeable even with OC (10:30 weak side). Still waiting for my izula in the mail. Anyone have anything to say about the izula also?

Welcome to OCDO bryan00989. We are primarily here to promote and defend open carry of properly holstered handguns, but will try to point you in the right direction. Its always best to read and understand the law for yourself, rather than depend on an internet expert. Please review our Forum Rules and proceed accordingly. Good luck and enjoy.

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of 7 years from the date of issuance. Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

What are knife laws when it comes to self defense?
http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/showthread.php?21820-What-are-knife-laws-when-it-comes-to-self-defense

[url]http://knife-expert.com/fl.txt

[/URL]

rvrctyrngr

Welcome to OCDO bryan00989. We are primarily here to promote and defend open carry of properly holstered handguns, but will try to point you in the right direction. Its always best to read and understand the law for yourself, rather than depend on an internet expert. Please review our Forum Rules and proceed accordingly. Good luck and enjoy.

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of 7 years from the date of issuance. Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

What are knife laws when it comes to self defense?
http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/Forum/showthread.php?21820-What-are-knife-laws-when-it-comes-to-self-defense

http://knife-expert.com/fl.txt

Thanks, Grapeshot, but 790.06 is the concealed carry statute. The OP was asking about OC of a fixed blade. Prevailing statute is 790.053, which only prohibits the OC of firearms and electronic 'weapons' (not commercial stun-guns/tasers).

To the OP, it is perfectly legal to OC a fixed blade or other 'weapons' (without a license) under state law. Be aware, though, that the state only preempts firearms/ammunition law. Local authorities are free to regulate other weapons as they see fit. So if you're going to OC a fixed blade or other weapon, ensure that the area in which you are carrying does not place restrictions on that practice. Thankfully, mine does not, and I do carry a fixed blade daily, normally concealed, but openly on occasion.

Carry on!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks, Grapeshot, but 790.06 is the concealed carry statute. The OP was asking about OC of a fixed blade. Prevailing statute is 790.053, which only prohibits the OC of firearms and electronic 'weapons' (not commercial stun-guns/tasers).

To the OP, it is perfectly legal to OC a fixed blade or other 'weapons' (without a license) under state law. Be aware, though, that the state only preempts firearms/ammunition law. Local authorities are free to regulate other weapons as they see fit. So if you're going to OC a fixed blade or other weapon, ensure that the area in which you are carrying does not place restrictions on that practice. Thankfully, mine does not, and I do carry a fixed blade daily, normally concealed, but openly on occasion.

Carry on!

Was broadcasting references to get him started - that and clip folders are considered as concealed by some municipalities.

The other links take him a lttle further down the road.

bryan00989

Thanks for the replies and the welcome guys, and sorry I was unaware that this was intended as mostly a handgun forum. At least this adds something a little different into the mix right? But I've checked all the cities I visit in Volusia, no local ordinances with anything to do with knives surprisingly. I myself don't have a CWP, too bad as these would be a lot better concealing. I was wondering how many other people anywhere in Florida either occasionally or more as a EDC. I do hate how they're considered "weapons", they're one of mans oldest tools after all, multi purpose tool.

rvrctyrngr

Was broadcasting references to get him started - that and clip folders are considered as concealed by some municipalities.

The other links take him a lttle further down the road.

Understood. Thanks, again!

FTR, Florida Carry will be submitting a knife/weapons preemption bill this legislative session. Intent is to do for knives/weapons what 790.33 did for firearms...eliminate local ordinances concerning them so that folks who use/carry them have ONE set of rules to abide by.

bryan00989

Understood. Thanks, again!

FTR, Florida Carry will be submitting a knife/weapons preemption bill this legislative session. Intent is to do for knives/weapons what 790.33 did for firearms...eliminate local ordinances concerning them so that folks who use/carry them have ONE set of rules to abide by.

That would be helpful, it's kind of stupid not to have one set of rules. Restricting carry knives/guns isn't they way to go. Just because you choose to exercise your right doesn't make them a dangerous weapon, it's how you use them. <-- Hope that makes sense, long day/night at work.

rvrctyrngr

I agree. NOTHING is a weapon if it isn't used as one...and I know plenty of folks who can kick my azz with a copy of Sports Illustrated!

That would be helpful, it's kind of stupid not to have one set of rules. Restricting carry knives/guns isn't they way to go. Just because you choose to exercise your right doesn't make them a dangerous weapon, it's how you use them. <-- Hope that makes sense, long day/night at work.