• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possibly a repost-- what is recommended for hd, 135 gr or 185 gr.

Paver1055

Currently I use 185 gr jhp. I worry about where it will end up after going thru bg and a wall or two. Any info?

Michigander

By HD, you mean home defense I take it.

The issue is what caliber, what powder charge, what bullet type, and type of materials the residential setting you are talking about is made from. From there, suggestions can be made.

There is however no substitute for you going out and testing your defensive ammo yourself on things to simulate muscle structure and your home, including but not limited to items such as drywall, meat, ballistic gelatin, phone books soaked for 12-24 hours (often called "wet packs"), maybe stucco, siding, and any other medium you're worried about bullet performance with.

Paver1055

By HD, you mean home defense I take it.

The issue is what caliber, what powder charge, what bullet type, and type of materials the residential setting you are talking about is made from. From there, suggestions can be made.

There is however no substitute for you going out and testing your defensive ammo yourself on things to simulate muscle structure and your home, including but not limited to items such as drywall, meat, ballistic gelatin, phone books soaked for 12-24 hours (often called "wet packs"), maybe stucco, siding, and any other medium you're worried about bullet performance with.

Thanks, i actually meant i use 230 gr jhp winchester pdx. in my XD .45. i would love to find somewhere here in the west valley to practice out in the open and try some of your ideas. Thanks again.

Last edited:

j4l

Thanks, i actually meant i use 230 gr jhp winchester pdx. in my XD .45. i would love to find somewhere here in the west valley to practice out in the open and try some of your ideas. Thanks again.

Not trying to be a jerk but...dude, you're in AZ? A 10 minute drive in any direction puts you into several hundred-thousand miles of wide-open desert..:banghead: :banghead:

As to 230 gr., dont get too hung-up on over-pen. It's largely a myth (even with hardball) , unless you hit them in the arm or the hand,etc. and usually not even then. Yes, it pens very well through many items, and pens deep into humans (center-mass/torso) but normally dumps it's energy well. On those rare occasions when it does pen all the way through,it usually lacks enough energy to pen the back layer of clothing, and falls to the ground.
On the flip-side, if your home-invader/robber decides to try to take cover behind a fridge, you will appreciate that penetration. ;)

Paver1055

Not trying to be a jerk but...dude, you're in AZ? A 10 minute drive in any direction puts you into several hundred-thousand miles of wide-open desert..:banghead: :banghead:

As to 230 gr., dont get too hung-up on over-pen. It's largely a myth (even with hardball) , unless you hit them in the arm or the hand,etc. and usually not even then. Yes, it pens very well through many items, and pens deep into humans (center-mass/torso) but normally dumps it's energy well. On those rare occasions when it does pen all the way through,it usually lacks enough energy to pen the back layer of clothing, and falls to the ground.
On the flip-side, if your home-invader/robber decides to try to take cover behind a fridge, you will appreciate that penetration. ;)

Your right! Thanks, much appreciated.

WalkingWolf

Home defense = 12 gauge, or 20 gauge shotgun, number 4 bird shot for large rooms, number 8 for small rooms. Bird shot is devastating at close range, and will not over-penetrate. There are also light buckshot rounds that will not over-penetrate. Even if your BG has vest on it should not the wind out of him. That said I do keep a PA-64 on my hip while at home, the shotgun is not always close at hand.