• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello!

Saltycupcake

Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of firearms and this site (although I have been reading a TON of posts on here and have found lots of great information) and was hoping that maybe you guys could give me a hand choosing my first handgun. I have placed a P238 on layaway but was also shown a Bersa .380. Which would you choose? keep in mind i have very small hands! :D

REDFIVE48

No experience with either gun, but there is a whole forum section dedicated to choosing a gun, may get a wider audience there then in the state forum.

Welcome!

WTFOVER

I've never been a fan of 380's for self defense but if that's all you can handle (and thats the big thing) then great. Shoot the crap out of it. Being a FFL I've sold more of the Sig P238's for the 380 crowd then anything else. Its a Sig, what more can you say about it.

Saltycupcake

@ Walking Wolf, Thanks!!

@WTFover, I went back to the store tonight and actually purchased a Bersa BP9cc! Although I hope to get a Sig when the funds become available!:lol:

nobama

Welcome! IMO, the 380 is plenty. I have been known to carry a 22, but my main carry is a 9mm. Like my great departed LEO freind once told me "nobody wants to get shot with anything".

Saltycupcake

Thanks! I spent a few hours at the store last night with a really knowledgeable salesman who also happens to teach a CC class and with his help I purchased a Bersa BP9cc. They didn't have the .380 in stock and he couldn't tell me when they would be getting some in. I will admit that the P238 felt better in my hand but the BP9 felt pretty good too and a $200+ cheaper it was an easy decision for me. I do have a bit of difficulty racking the slide, (I have pretty bad tendinitis in my elbows, left being worse than right) but I was assured that with use it would soften up.

WalkingWolf

Thanks! I spent a few hours at the store last night with a really knowledgeable salesman who also happens to teach a CC class and with his help I purchased a Bersa BP9cc. They didn't have the .380 in stock and he couldn't tell me when they would be getting some in. I will admit that the P238 felt better in my hand but the BP9 felt pretty good too and a $200+ cheaper it was an easy decision for me. I do have a bit of difficulty racking the slide, (I have pretty bad tendinitis in my elbows, left being worse than right) but I was assured that with use it would soften up.

How are you holding the slide to rack it.?

My main concern with racking a slide is to keep it in a safe direction. It just happens that seems to me to be the least effort to rack. I put my weak hand over the top of the slide to rack the slide, and grip with my thumb and fingers, while keeping the gun in safe direction. I have cringed watching other people rack slides pointing them in all directions including at their own feet, trying to grab the slide from the rear. Also when clearing the gun if you rack the slide over hand it will drop the round through the bottom of the magazine well without throwing it and then having to search for it.

Saltycupcake

With the pistol pointed at the ground (not my feet!) I put my left hand over top of the pistol and slide it back, pulling it towards me. Is this the wrong way?

WalkingWolf

With the pistol pointed at the ground (not my feet!) I put my left hand over top of the pistol and slide it back, pulling it towards me. Is this the wrong way?

As long as you can rack it and keep it in a safe direction you are doing it the right way. It sounds like you rack it the same way I do, but I usually do not rack the slide that often. Only when I clear the weapon, and when I load the weapon. Once your spring breaks in it should get easier to rack.

merc460

I would recommend the Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm with either the full size or compact (not the sub-compact!!!). My wife loves it. The barrel works on rotation during recoil and the barrel has been lowered a bit. This causes the recoil to be forced into the palm more than trying to flip the muzzle up through the wrist.
Once she shot this pistol (compact size) during a day of rentals to find one she liked, it was no question it was the one she wanted and then bought.
You never mentioned if you was a male or female, but did say you have small hands, and some tendinitis, so thats why I am using her experience, she has small hands and weak wrists.

Ricky

How are you holding the slide to rack it.?

My main concern with racking a slide is to keep it in a safe direction. It just happens that seems to me to be the least effort to rack. I put my weak hand over the top of the slide to rack the slide, and grip with my thumb and fingers, while keeping the gun in safe direction. I have cringed watching other people rack slides pointing them in all directions including at their own feet, trying to grab the slide from the rear. Also when clearing the gun if you rack the slide over hand it will drop the round through the bottom of the magazine well without throwing it and then having to search for it.

I agree, I am not a big fan of indoor ranges or firing line ranges. The situation of safe direction while racking the slide is one of my pet peeves. Many people don't recognize they "sweep" the person or persons next to them while racking the slide. My wife is fairly new to handguns and I am currently training her the proper and safe way to chamber her rounds. Good point WalkingWolf.........

Saltycupcake

I would recommend the Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm with either the full size or compact (not the sub-compact!!!). My wife loves it. The barrel works on rotation during recoil and the barrel has been lowered a bit. This causes the recoil to be forced into the palm more than trying to flip the muzzle up through the wrist.
Once she shot this pistol (compact size) during a day of rentals to find one she liked, it was no question it was the one she wanted and then bought.
You never mentioned if you was a male or female, but did say you have small hands, and some tendinitis, so thats why I am using her experience, she has small hands and weak wrists.

I will look and see if they have the Beretta when I go on Tuesday to pick up the Bersa. Any idea what the price point on that would be? Unfortunately, thats a consideration for me. Oh, and I'm a woman :D

Saltycupcake

As long as you can rack it and keep it in a safe direction you are doing it the right way. It sounds like you rack it the same way I do, but I usually do not rack the slide that often. Only when I clear the weapon, and when I load the weapon. Once your spring breaks in it should get easier to rack.

I really know so little about them that I plan on taking a few classes to learn as much as I can. Having been the victim of a violent crime on 2 separate occasions, I refuse to be a victim again. Ive been wanting to purchase a pistol for awhile, but as we lived in NJ I wasn't really able to do that. Finally moved south to NC (thankfully!!) and I am now able to get my CHP if I want or to OC if I want to do that too.

bc.cruiser

If you find your current method of racking the slide difficult, then try an alternate: Grip the slide normally (overhand, your thumb closest to your body) then instead of trying to move the slide to the rear, simply hold it in position and use your grip/trigger hand to push the frame forward. You accomplish the exact same thing as before but this may be easier for you.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I really know so little about them that I plan on taking a few classes to learn as much as I can. Having been the victim of a violent crime on 2 separate occasions, I refuse to be a victim again. Ive been wanting to purchase a pistol for awhile, but as we lived in NJ I wasn't really able to do that. Finally moved south to NC (thankfully!!) and I am now able to get my CHP if I want or to OC if I want to do that too.

It will take you a while to get your CHP, seems some sheriffs depts are way behind. Unless you can show that you have exigent circumstance and then they will issue a permit faster. This would be like a person being stalked, then the process gets bumped up. Did your problems take place in NC or NJ? If they were here then you may be able to get your permit expedited.

Saltycupcake

If you find your current method of racking the slide difficult, then try an alternate: Grip the slide normally (overhand, your thumb closest to your body) then instead of trying to move the slide to the rear, simply hold it in position and use your grip/trigger hand to push the frame forward. You accomplish the exact same thing as before but this may be easier for you.

good idea! I'll try it and see which one works best! Thanks!

Saltycupcake

It will take you a while to get your CHP, seems some sheriffs depts are way behind. Unless you can show that you have exigent circumstance and then they will issue a permit faster. This would be like a person being stalked, then the process gets bumped up. Did your problems take place in NC or NJ? If they were here then you may be able to get your permit expedited.

They happened in NJ, I am so glad to be out of that state!! Im not in any hurry to get my CHP, because I can OC here. But it is something that I will be getting when I can.

On another note, there were some goings on at my next door neighbors house Thursday night. 5 police cars, CSI and an ambulance. Found out last night that someone broke into the house while my neighbors were home and robbed them at gunpoint. They stole a bunch of stuff and I guess someone got hurt because the report said "aggravated assault, housebreaking and larceny" and 2 doors were damaged in the process, the side door and a bedroom door. The case is still pending, so I assume they haven't caught the guy. I cannot wait til Tuesday when I can pick up my permit and go get my Bersa!

WalkingWolf

They happened in NJ, I am so glad to be out of that state!! Im not in any hurry to get my CHP, because I can OC here. But it is something that I will be getting when I can.

On another note, there were some goings on at my next door neighbors house Thursday night. 5 police cars, CSI and an ambulance. Found out last night that someone broke into the house while my neighbors were home and robbed them at gunpoint. They stole a bunch of stuff and I guess someone got hurt because the report said "aggravated assault, housebreaking and larceny" and 2 doors were damaged in the process, the side door and a bedroom door. The case is still pending, so I assume they haven't caught the guy. I cannot wait til Tuesday when I can pick up my permit and go get my Bersa!

That sounds like Durham, LOL. But could be Fayettnam also...