• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transportation and open carry

stainless1911

Banned
Personally, I think the part about not being able to OC in your own vehicle needs to be fixed. There are other states where OC IN a vehicle is perfectly legal. All this crap about having to load and unload, holster and unholster just so we an walk around with our weapons is complete nonsense.

I have my CPL, so I'm not worried about myself. But I feel for my fellow Michiganders who, for whatever reasons, don't or can't get a CPL, They should not have to go through all this crap just to exercise their God-given rights.

We are working on it. Its a little iffy, but right now we have a good opportunity in front of us, and we should make the most of it.

Rick H

Moving back Michigan after 12 years.

I have just learned I have to move back to Michigan after 12 years in Florida and don't know laws there yet.
1st. I have my Fl. CCW.
2nd. I'm planning to read up on the Mi. laws, but that takes time to learn all the laws.
3rd. Just need a couple things of info to start with.
a.) With a ccw can I car carry open or concealed?
b.) Am I allowed in/on a place/property of business that sell booze?
c.) I know that I must inform LEO when stopped during traffic stop, Must I even inform when stopped during a walk, bike ride?
d.) What other thing as a quick reference should I know?
e.) Do I need to get a Mi. ccw or will my Fl. license be allowed?
f.) How long do I have before I have to register my firearm? and whats involved?

Again I am reading the laws but I'm a slow learner......LOL

Last edited:

HKcarrier

I have just learned I have to move back to Michigan after 12 years in Florida and don't know laws there yet.
1st. I have my Fl. CCW.
2nd. I'm planning to read up on the Mi. laws, but that takes time to learn all the laws.
3rd. Just need a couple things of info to start with.
a.) With a ccw can I car carry open or concealed?
Yes, with CPL, you can OC in your car, though it is technically considered CC even with it open while in a car.
b.) Am I allowed in/on a place/property of business that sell booze?
As long as you have your CPL you are good to go. If it is a bar (establishment that does the majority of it's business via selling liquor by the glass) then you can't CC there but can OC as long as you're not asked to leave because of private property.
c.) I know that I must inform LEO when stopped during traffic stop, Must I even inform when stopped during a walk, bike ride?
This one will get a lot of contention. IF you are walking around OCing, you don't necessarily need to disclose. If you are driving you should disclose because technically you are CCing. If you are on a bike it's gray area, but I think personally I would disclose if stopped on a bike.
d.) What other thing as a quick reference should I know?
Take a look at www.miopencarry.org for more information.
e.) Do I need to get a Mi. ccw or will my Fl. license be allowed?
If you are living here you should get a MI CPL, but I believe that your florida one will suffice in the mean time. If you are no longer a resident of florida, you may have to get a FL non-resident permit.
f.) How long do I have before I have to register my firearm? and whats involved?
If you are going to be living in michigan, you must visit the local police station and get a purchase permit to register pistols. You do not need to register long guns. If you get a Mi CPL you will be able to fill out a form Ri-60 and mail it in to register. If you are going to live here perm. you need to register. Time frame, I do not know.

Again I am reading the laws but I'm a slow learner......LOL

Answered above in bold.

Hope that helps.... I am not a lawyer.

Last edited:

TheQ

i think his question is about the "any lawful purpose" bit. and yes, self defense is another lawful purpose. people get hung up on the physical locations, like hunting, gun repair, or shooting range. but the truth is anywhere you go with your gun that is a legal place for you to posses it is considered a lawful purpose:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf
"(b) "Lawful purpose" includes the following:
(i) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
(ii) While transporting a pistol en route to or from his or her home or place of business and place of repair.
(iii) While moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.
(iv) While transporting a licensed pistol en route to or from a law enforcement agency or for the purpose of
having a law enforcement official take possession of the weapon.
(v) While en route to or from his or her abode or place of business and a gun show or places of purchase or
sale.
(vi) While en route to or from his or her abode to a public shooting facility or public land where discharge
of firearms is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.
(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used
as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance."

just because it says "includes the following" does not exclude other activities

Actually, a bill passed last session eliminates the lawful purpose definition. See Act 427 of 2012, effective 12/21/2012

casper

Actually, a bill passed last session eliminates the lawful purpose definition. See Act 427 of 2012, effective 12/21/2012
So you can legally transport for the porpose of OC only, is that right ? I just have to make sure. I don't want to break laws.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

YEP.

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1]Sec. 231a. (1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](b) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](c) To a person carrying an antique firearm, completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](2) As used in this section, “antique firearm” means either of the following:[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](ii) A firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1]This act is ordered to take immediate effect.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]