• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trader Joe's on Mill Plain and Chkulav not OC friendly. QUESTION:

joejoejoe

Went into Trader Joe's today and the manager said "Excuse me, I am not familiar with the law about guns. Is that legal?" I said, "Yes, open carry is legal in Washington State." He gave me a funny look and said, "really?" He then walked off. I stopped him in time and said, "Is that alright here?" He said, "It's kinda of unnerving." I asked him if he wanted me to conceal it because we are frequent shoppers and I didn't want to be a bad customer. He said it was pointless now that he knows I have one and to not bring it next time.

1. Does anyone have a pamphlet I can hand him about Washington States' laws summed up?

2. I would like to go back there and inform him that he is required by law to have a sign outside that says "no guns."

3. I REALLY want to tell him that I am going to inform people from opencarry.org that Trader Joe's does NOT support the 2nd amendment... just to really politely knock on him.

Any suggestions?

Joe~

Last edited:

Metalhead47

First off, there is NO law in this state requiring a business to post "no guns" signs. IF it's private property, they can ask you to leave for any reason at all, including because they don't like your gun. If you refuse, you can be tresspassed by police, but it's not a gun violation. There used to be a sticky with a good pamphlet, but looks like it got lost with the forum switch. Someone will chime in shortly with where to find it. You may want to check with Trader Joes regional management/customer service. The company may or may not have a policy prohibiting firearms, or the manager might be acting on his own.

Went into Trader Joe's today and the manager said "Excuse me, I am not familiar with the law about guns. Is that legal?" I said, "Yes, open carry is legal in Washington State." He gave me a funny look and said, "really?" He then walked off. I stopped him in time and said, "Is that alright here?" He said, "It's kinda of unnerving." I asked him if he wanted me to conceal it because we are frequent shoppers and I didn't want to be a bad customer. He said it was pointless now that he knows I have one and to not bring it next time.

1. Does anyone have a pamphlet I can hand him about Washington States' laws summed up?

2. I would like to go back there and inform him that he is required by law to have a sign outside that says "no guns."

3. I REALLY want to tell him that I am going to inform people from opencarry.org that Trader Joe's does NOT support the 2nd amendment... just to really politely knock on him.

Any suggestions?

Joe~

tony d tiger

Trader Joe's in Olympia

Open carried my .357 there, no questions/no problems.
Sounds like it was just the individual you were speaking with - a manager? It is a privately held company - not a franchise... maybe ask him what the corporate policy is? Ring the bell three times and ask... LOL

Follow-up: Just called one of the nearby stores and asked the manager if he knew of a policy, but he didn't know, and advised me to ask tomorrow, when his manager would be there. Appears they were asked recently and have inquired of their corporate/regional offices. Should have more info tomorrow.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Pamplet attached (NWCDL is off line, I am inquiring how to get it back)

Any suggestions?

Joe~

Signs have no force or weight of law regarding firearms.

Pamphlet attached View attachment 3341

If you have not been asked to leave then you can continue to shop there. However, you do know the results and he will ask you to leave. Perhaps you go back with the pamphlet and discuss the law with him and what law abiding citizens do and criminals do not. If he requests that you do not return with the firearm then you are stuck. Either lie and conceal or shop somewhere else.

Do you have a lot of receipts from Trader Joe's that you could show him? Make a case for law abiding citizens or take your business elsewhere. I have read other threads where TJ was not an issue with OC, you might want to search for them and contact those who shop at TJ and perhaps have this manager call other stores.

Also, follow up with the corporate office in a professional educational way. Again, if you have receipts or bank statements that would benefit you.

joejoejoe

Thanks guys. I don't know who I spoke with. I wish I would have gotten his name. I sent in a formal comment to the corporate office. I will go in tomorrow and bring a pamphlet. Keep me posted on any news you might hear from the manager too! Thanks guys. I really hate feeling like the bad guy when I am following the law.

Joe~

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Just take your time, educate, be polite, be professional, share their concerns, but politely, professionally don't back down. Be prepared to take your business elsewhere.

Thanks guys. I don't know who I spoke with. I wish I would have gotten his name. I sent in a formal comment to the corporate office. I will go in tomorrow and bring a pamphlet. Keep me posted on any news you might hear from the manager too! Thanks guys. I really hate feeling like the bad guy when I am following the law.

Joe~

sudden valley gunner

In a well debated thread Trader Joe's was discussed. Seems they take the same stance as Starbucks.
And the search button is our friend, but this new forum style is not being freindly to me.

Glock 17 wrote:
imported post
I recieved a message from Trader Joes today and thought I might transcribe the message that I got on my cell phone. I need some help from someone on this site if anyone is interested in the actual audio of the call. I did record it but it seems the file is to big to post here. Cheers

Yes hello Brett this is Micheal Crouse from Trader Joes, sir I wanted to get back to you
in regards to your question. After to talking to a few people and you know ... don't really
have that written policy type of thing but, but our stance really is we don't take a stance
on commenting on the law. We simply honour the law and go by the law. So in this case.. we
are going to go by the law. So, Hope that helps and I will talk to you soon Thanks Bye.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Found Here

HERE

In a well debated thread Trader Joe's was discussed. Seems they take the same stance as Starbucks.
And the search button is our friend, but this new forum style is not being freindly to me.

Glock 17 wrote:
imported post
I recieved a message from Trader Joes today and thought I might transcribe the message that I got on my cell phone. I need some help from someone on this site if anyone is interested in the actual audio of the call. I did record it but it seems the file is to big to post here. Cheers

Yes hello Brett this is Micheal Crouse from Trader Joes, sir I wanted to get back to you
in regards to your question. After to talking to a few people and you know ... don't really
have that written policy type of thing but, but our stance really is we don't take a stance
on commenting on the law. We simply honour the law and go by the law. So in this case.. we
are going to go by the law. So, Hope that helps and I will talk to you soon Thanks Bye.

joejoejoe

Trader Joe's Company Corporate Office | Headquarters
800 S. Shamrock Ave. Monrovia, CA 91016
(626)599-3700

I called the corporate office and spoke with their customer relations team. The lady said it is up to the individual store to make the call regarding the law. She said she will contact the regional manager immediately and have him call me back so I can inform him of Washington State's law, and the regional will take it from there. I will keep you updated as to whether or not Mill Plain's Trader Joe's will inform their employees to allow or disallow it.

Joe

malichite

I do my best not to inform people to post a sign stating no guns. When asked to leave, I leave. If a sign is up in a window, I dont enter. Problem with the sign (legal or not) is even if I am concealing, it has been made public knowledge and that doesn't help me.

joejoejoe

Ya, I understand the sign thing now after reading a few posts and doing some more browsing on the topic. Thanks for the feedback :)

Joe~

Phssthpok

Funny...I've OC'd every time I go into that particular TJ's without a hitch.

I even had a special order situation that had me dealing with several different employees while standing at the service counter off to the side for about 20 minutes. No one said a word about the big black 1911 on my hip.

<shrug> I dunno what to say...

Just Us

Hindsights 20/20, but once he started walking away just go about your way as normal.

Suggestion, always act natural as if you don't have it with you. Most of the time you won't have any problems. Vancouver is slowly catching on. We want people to see that normal everyday people are also armed and polite.

Oct. 1 some of the people from up here are going down there you might be able to get a couple pamphlets.

amzbrady

I do my best not to inform people to post a sign stating no guns. When asked to leave, I leave. If a sign is up in a window, I dont enter. Problem with the sign (legal or not) is even if I am concealing, it has been made public knowledge and that doesn't help me.

If I see a sign, I just conceal, All that sign means to me is that they dont sell guns in their establishment.