• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

States that allow drinking while armed

AZkopper

I know that Utah allows for consuming alcohol while armed, and uses the DUI (0.08% BAC) limit for 'impairment' purposes. What other states allow for drinking in public establishments while armed? What criteria do they use for 'obviously intoxicated' or 'impaired' , if any? Do they have CC only, OC only, or any other caveats?

I would appriciate any relevant statutes, if you know them.

daddy4count

WA state does not specify, to my knowledge. We are not allowed to carry any weapon, CC or OC, into a facility that SERVES alcohol AND is off limits to persons under 21. There is no law that says you cannot drink alcohol while armed.

If you're drunk, you can get it taken away!

RCW 9.41.098 - confiscation of weapons
(e) In the possession of a person who is in any place in which a concealed pistol license is required, and who is under the influence of any drug or under the influence of intoxicating liquor, as defined in chapter 46.61 RCW;

46.61 defines a driving limit as 0.08... but otherwise leaves it up to discretion by defining as: "under the influence"

does anybody know if WA law extends to places which do not require a CPL?

Last edited:

eye95

As far as I can find, the only law in AL regarding drinking and carrying would be the restriction against habitual drunkards possessing firearms.

uh oh. ;)

eye95

Damn... how do they know if it's a habit?

I imagine that if one were charged with illegal possession, the prosecution would have to prove the habitual nature of the drunkenness, probably through the testimony of acquaintances and relatives. It'd be pretty hard to do.

eye95

A little historical background on the disparity between BACs for carrying and driving

Most States had a 0.10 BAC limit for both carrying or driving. Some time back, the federal government forced all States to go to 0.08 BAC limit for driving, under penalty of losing major amounts of highway funding. Since they were not forced to adjust BAC limits for carrying, the disparity developed between these two numbers.

cscitney87

Colorado here

Booze: What would be considered too much?
04-06-2010 09:26 AM
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?72326-Booze-What-would-be-considered-too-much

"would you be breaking a law if someone broke into your home and you retaliated with your firearm? I think that the law would be on your side in general, but it really does make the fact that Colorado doesn't have an actual limit stated in the law all too obvious a blunder. I'm not a huge drinker,...."

"(d) The person has in his or her possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or possession of a permit or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article is no defense to a violation of this subsection (1)."

We have no ## limit. We may NOT be under the influence of anything while carrying. What's "Under the influence" in the state of Colorado? There's no case law defined on this topic. Do you believe the cop, jury, and judge will find you guilty of being under the influence if you only blew ##.##? After all- isn't that what we're asking?

eye95

absent a Warrant for a search, i Would refuse to blow into a meter, unless suspected of drunk driving!
Mind your 4th and 5th Amendment!

Interesting. They can use implied consent to force drivers to take the test or lose their license. I wonder if the same holds for CPLs. Of course, that raises the question of can they threaten to revoke a CPL for refusing a test while OCing.

elixin77

Interesting. They can use implied consent to force drivers to take the test or lose their license. I wonder if the same holds for CPLs. Of course, that raises the question of can they threaten to revoke a CPL for refusing a test while OCing.

But what if you live in a state that allows OC without a license, and drinking up to a certain point (what if situation - don't know any).

Since you aren't driving a car, you can refuse to blow, and you can't have your license taken away. But if your in a gold star OC state, and you don't have a DPL, what then? (They can't take anything from you, so what can they do?)

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I've read that in Missouri it's a felony to be in possesion of a loaded gun while intoxicated. If I remember correctly that technically means if you pass out drunk in bed and have a loaded pistol in your nightstand, you're a felon. I can't believe we need laws to tell people not to run around with loaded guns while drunk.

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

Just my 2 cents worth...

I carry a gun to defend myself and, if necessary, those around me from a violent criminal or dangerous animal. Therefore, I don't do anything that would impair my ability to perform this function or be aware of my surroundings in order to avoid such confrontations.

A dangerous confrontation or situation may happen anywhere, at any time without warning.

THEREFORE, it seems really, really stupid to drink or use anything that would impair my awareness or function at any time, any place.

If one were to insist on drinking (or whatever), it would seem wise to have a designated defender who remained sober and armed while the imbibers locked their guns away for the duration.

Then you don't have to worry about the BAC, the 'law,' or much of anything else except the hangover.

langzaiguy

Kentucky is strange, but the general understanding is that it is illegal to carry in a bar, but not a restaurant.

zack991

I imagine that if one were charged with illegal possession, the prosecution would have to prove the habitual nature of the drunkenness, probably through the testimony of acquaintances and relatives. It'd be pretty hard to do.

That maybe true, but why take the risk to drink and lose your rights. Its one thing to be home and have a few and someone breaks in.

sudden valley gunner

I don't buy the whole Alcohol and guns don't mix arguments. Some states allow carry into bars and it hasn't proven extra dangerous.

Just like those idiotic films of folks going crazy on "mary-jane" lol.

mrjam2jab

To the best of my knowledge, PA doesn't have any alcohol restriction what so ever. You can carry into a bar and drink...and I don't see any statute applying a BAC restriction while carrying.