• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man With A Gun At Big Lots...

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Your experience doesn't give me warm fuzzys either. But this forum is filled with folks with different tolerance levels.
I had six of San Diego's finest meet me coming out of a grocery store. The Sargent on the scene threatened to "take me down town" if I didn't cough up some ID. Ran my ID, ran my serial number, brow-beat me about a 15 year-old court case, then let me go.
I requested that they explain to the manager of the store that I was not doing anything wrong. They said they would.
I think we've made some progress since that time.

Superlite27

I could have done without the lecture about all of the officers (5 total) that had to respond because of me.

The next time you receive this precious little lecture, kindly inform them that they didn't have to respond because of you, they had to respond because of a frightened sheep that was afraid of a peaceful citizen obeying the law.

If it were me, I'd inform them that: "I look forward to the day when thousands of cops are pointlessly chasing after calm and peaceful armed citizens and wasting hundreds of thousands of departmental dollars in fuitless efforts to catch minor slips by lawful OC'ers. Maybe you should start issuing CCW permits to folks who are lawfully allowed to posess them and you wouldn't get these calls. Until then, have fun chasing after an animal of your own creation!"

But, I don't blame you for not adding the last part.

yelohamr

The next time you receive this precious little lecture, kindly inform them that they didn't have to respond because of you, they had to respond because of a frightened sheep that was afraid of a peaceful citizen obeying the law.

If it were me, I'd inform them that: "I look forward to the day when thousands of cops are pointlessly chasing after calm and peaceful armed citizens and wasting hundreds of thousands of departmental dollars in fuitless efforts to catch minor slips by lawful OC'ers. Maybe you should start issuing CCW permits to folks who are lawfully allowed to posess them and you wouldn't get these calls. Until then, have fun chasing after an animal of your own creation!"

But, I don't blame you for not adding the last part.

I had a conversation with the Watch Commander by phone and basicaly told him what you posted. He agreed with me that the dispatchers need to get more info and he would remind his deputies of the D.A.'s memo.

I informed him of the video by a witness, but didn't mention that I was the witness.

Last edited:

yelohamr

I was at Big Lots yesterday and the Asst. Mgr. informed me that it was a customer that called 911 and she had bragged about calling.
The employees raked her over the coals for calling and wasting the deputies time on my doing something legal.

mjones

I was at Big Lots yesterday and the Asst. Mgr. informed me that it was a customer that called 911 and she had bragged about calling.
The employees raked her over the coals for calling and wasting the deputies time on my doing something legal.

Nice!

yelohamr

I'm actually looking forward to an "E" check. I made a new retention type holster and my neighbor couldn't remove the pistol from it and I was letting him try. I was nearly jerked off my feet and the belt loops on my jeans were strained but the gun stayed put.
The neighbor was convinced it was a fake gun epoxied to the holster, until I drew it, racked the slide and pulled the trigger on an empty chamber.

I may check with a patent attorney before I post pics.

demnogis

Well... well, I set the record with 10!!! back in may of 'aught-eight at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa...

We can all play this game all night... hahaha

Drum roll for someone who was at San Pedro...

I set the record at five back in July 2008. Two with weapons pointed at me as I did the backward perp walk.

However, I believe the record is far more than 5. Did you read about the LA incident? They closed down the street and dispatched a frickin' helicopter.

Last edited:

Army

OK Dem, I'll see your 10, and raise you at least 6 more...plus the helicopter crew :)

At least 7 squad cars, a full city block closed. Cuffed, questioned, then lectured by the incident commander who refused to acknowledge we were being perfectly legal.

Oh, and had a nice jazz quartet entertaining the entire time :D

yelohamr

OK Dem, I'll see your 10, and raise you at least 6 more...plus the helicopter crew :)

At least 7 squad cars, a full city block closed. Cuffed, questioned, then lectured by the incident commander who refused to acknowledge we were being perfectly legal.

Oh, and had a nice jazz quartet entertaining the entire time :D

I think we have a winner.

At least the senior deputy, agreed that what I was doing was legal...but (gasp) I scared someone!