• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Maymount Park, Richmond

Mtam

Plan on going to Maymount and just want to confirm that I can OC there. Also plan to be in Va beach soon. Anything I need to know regarding OCing while there?

Thanks

riverrat10k

I searched this forum..

..and only found passing reference to Maymont. Their website says the property is owned by the City of Richmond, so preemption would apply. It is operated by the Maymont Foundation, a private group.

I seem to recall that OC is ok there due to preemption, but have never done it. Need to visit again soon, I guess!
Hopefully someone else can give you a more definitive answer.

wylde007

I had no problems the last time I was at Maymont. It is indeed city property maintained by a "private" organization.

Virginia Beach is one of the better OC locations in the state. As a lifetime resident and longtime OCer I have experienced no truly "negative" interactions with Beach police. Most of them were either neutral (good) or non-interactions (better).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Virginia Beach is one of the better OC locations in the state. As a lifetime resident and longtime OCer I have experienced no truly "negative" interactions with Beach police. Most of them were either neutral (good) or non-interactions (better).

You should have been OC'ing there 40 years ago. I expect they still have my picture on their dart board.

A direct quote from the dark ages:

"No one puts a loaded magazine in, in my presence"

The answer:
"Then you'd better leave".

They may be better now but they were sure Aholes then.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Plan on going to Maymount and just want to confirm that I can OC there. Also plan to be in Va beach soon. Anything I need to know regarding OCing while there?

Thanks

I carried my Delta there yesterday. My shirt was over it, but I was clearly printing and it was partly exposed at times.

wylde007

You should have been OC'ing there 40 years ago.
40 years ago I wasn't even a twinkle in my daddy's eye.

I first started OCing around 1996 off and on because my permit was "declined". Back in the days of "may issue" personal protection did not fall into the criteria of "good reason" to carry concealed.

t33j

Just remember to get the sand out of your gun if you carry on the waterfront! I still manage to get my beach gun gunked up even though it's carried inside a hoslter, inside my pocket. :rolleyes:

curtiswr

Just don't oogle any of the girls this time..:lol:

This guy thought my camera was pointed at his ugly girlfriend, and got upset.

IMG_1530.jpg

The cops nearby (they were there for a previous fight/argument he had with other river goers) strongly advised him against approaching me. They saw that I was OCing. He, being below the bridge, didn't. :eek:

Last edited:

Blk97F150

IMG_1530.jpg

The cops nearby (they were there for a previous fight/argument he had with other river goers) strongly advised him against approaching me. They saw that I was OCing. He, being below the bridge, didn't. :eek:

Sooooo...... where's the pic of the girlfriend? :lol:

TFred

I don't think I've ever seen "farmer tan hands" before... this guy must wear a tank top and gloves outside all day long.

TFred

Blk97F150

I don't think I've ever seen "farmer tan hands" before... this guy must wear a tank top and gloves outside all day long.

TFred

I'm thinking 'sport bike rider'..... wife beater shirt and gloves.

Although I really wonder if the picture actually came from PeopleOfWalmart.com.... :banana:

TFred

I'm thinking 'sport bike rider'..... wife beater shirt and gloves.

Although I really wonder if the picture actually came from PeopleOfWalmart.com.... :banana:
I'm afraid my thoughts were much less charitable than "sport bike rider"... thinking of occupations that require gloves all day... nothing about that guy points my mind toward a bike of any kind, much less an expensive one!

TFred

TFred

I'm afraid my thoughts were much less charitable than "sport bike rider"... thinking of occupations that require gloves all day... nothing about that guy points my mind toward a bike of any kind, much less an expensive one!

TFred

Hey....:uhoh: No farmer jokes
No, no, "farmer tan" does not imply "farmer job"... just the vocabulary that our culture has adopted. I was actually thinking more along the lines of "waste management re-distribution and decomposition professional"... :)

TFred