• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Homeowner holds thief at gunpoint

MKEgal

He's only 22 & already far along a bad path.

Pino [burglar/thief] was wearing several layers of clothing and his shoes had plastic bags placed over them to prevent him from leaving shoe prints. He was also wearing gloves and had a black nylon mask on his head. Pino entered the home with a back pack which was found on scene. Inside the back pack, deputies found a 22 caliber handgun. Deputies also found the homeowner's money clip on Pino.

mahkagari

It's a shame the homeowner didn't save the taxpayers the cost of feeding/housing this POS.

Hmm, was he was within the law to do so? Under "Make My Day", the perpetrator needs to 1) make illegal entry, 2) commit a crime other than the illegal entry, and 3) make the homeowner feel he/she will harm someone in the house. Did the homeowner know Pino had taken his money clip? It's obvious by his clothing he was up to no good and may be threatening just in presence, but had he committed a crime other than the entry to justify lethal force? Advancing on the homeowner would have been "assault" to meet the MMD criteria, but not if he "surrendered" before the homeowner could determine if he had actually taken anything yet.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Lol, I love the fact that despite his precautions (shoe covers, gloves, mask) he was nabbed by the homeowner!

The only time I'd hold an intruder at gunpoint would be if they did exactly what I told them to do. The slightest deviation, and I'd simply hold them at bullet-point.