• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ride-A-Long

bforbaker

Tuesday afternoon, I'll be going on a ride-a-long with a KSP officer.
Any questions anyone want answered or think I should ask about haha.

sawah

It depends on how open the LEO is to probing questions, but if so, why not ask why some officers feel threatened, feel they need to stop and question obviously law-abiding people OC-ing while, say, peacefully grocery shopping. Why more LEOs don't seem to know the gun laws (or if they just pretend not to know or use plausible denial).

bforbaker

Nope, he will probably know less about the Kentucky gun laws, open and concealed, than anyone in the car.
Hahaha, yeah I know I have studied them up and down. I hope he can teach me something tho.
It depends on how open the LEO is to probing questions, but if so, why not ask why some officers feel threatened, feel they need to stop and question obviously law-abiding people OC-ing while, say, peacefully grocery shopping. Why more LEOs don't seem to know the gun laws (or if they just pretend not to know or use plausible denial).

I've already planned on asking him something about OC and CC, but any other questions regarding other laws.

sawah

Already planned on asking

Cool. My point was more on trying to understand the way LEOs think, operate, strategize than on what they 'think' about laws, or if they know a law. If a normal citizen can understand the reasoning, perhaps they can figure out ways to best react if stopped, ways to low-key things. TIA.

bforbaker

I'm sure they will say I can't, I haven't got to ask yet. I'm waiting on a phone call for more information on meeting time and everything else.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Why couldn't you carry? You can't carry concealed if you go inside post, or any other station, but you can openly. I've never rode with state, but when I rode with sheriff's department, I was OCing.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Why couldn't you carry? You can't carry concealed if you go inside post, or any other station, but you can openly. I've never rode with state, but when I rode with sheriff's department, I was OCing.

Most police departments consider it a liability rather than an asset and do not allow citizen carry during ride-alongs. They are afraid of getting sued.

Savage206

I went on a ride along with a family friend who is a Lexington Police Officer a few months back. I had to sign something that stated I was not carrying a firearm and waived all liability claims in case something happened and I was injured while riding. On the plus side though here is what he said to me right before we left. " On your right side in the door compartment there are a few pairs of black rubber gloves. If we see any blood make sure to put these on. You will also see a big can of pepper spray. If at anytime you feel uncomfortable you can grab these and use them if you feel you need to. If the sh*t really hits the fan in the glove box there is a .40 Glock. If anything happens to me take it out of there and get on the radio and call for back up." I am sure he was just trying to scare me but I did open the glove box and there was a .40 Glock sitting in there. I wouldn't worry too much. ;)

I also asked about Open Carry and the only thing he had to say was "Damn right it's legal and I wish more people would do it." :banana::banana::banana:

davidmcbeth

Banned
My father was a capt. in a fire dept. He brought me into burning bldgs when I was a kid .. now that was cool .... walls on fire etc.

Seeing the dead bodies being pulled out too ... sad ... no smoke detectors

My father never pulled out a body from a house with a working smoke detector ...

And I have gone on police ride-a-longs too ... they can be fun too. But not as fun as going into burning bldgs.

09jisaac

It went really good. Learnt a lot of stuff. Went into a house and guarded the front door haha.

Pulled a few vehicles over and then help with a search warrant.
Which lead to this right after I left.

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/posts/press/2012/post11_pr02_15_12.htm

0.o Did you shoot anyone? Just kidding.

But seriously, the should have gave you some armor and allowed you to kick in the door for them. That would have been fun. It is good that you learned some things.

Savage206

when I went on my ride-a-long all we did was bust two crackhead dudes, one of which was blowing the other one for drugs, a domestic violence call which was kind of intense and bust a guy for a non-pay child support warrant cause we were looking for a car that looked like his. :)

davidmcbeth

Banned
when I went on my ride-a-long all we did was bust two crackhead dudes, one of which was blowing the other one for drugs, a domestic violence call which was kind of intense and bust a guy for a non-pay child support warrant cause we were looking for a car that looked like his. :)

see, drugs do get people together ... how sweet