• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motorcycle carry in FL (with CCP)

infinisean

Hey guys, I've been reading over some posts here today researching open/concealed carry.
Very informative and I am glad to be a member now.

I am curious about carrying my Glock 17 defense weapon while riding my motorcycle here in Orlando, FL.
The bike is a sport bike, so no saddle bags or any real storage area to speak of.
I do have a concealed carry permit.

My question is how can this be accomplished legally? I assume open carry (a holster attached to the bike somehow) would be out of the question.
What about an IWB holster in the small of my back under my shirt? This is how I usually carry in my car / walking.
What happens when the back of my shirt lifts up from the wind while riding and exposes my weapon even though it is intended to be (and usually is, without the wind) concealed.
Would this be considered open carry and a chargeable offense? (ok, I know anything is chargeable... convictable I suppose).

Thanks for any input you guys may share, especially any lawyers that can chime in with their legal opinion or anecdotal evidence one way or the other.

--Sean

Last edited:

Motofixxer

Well the Sons of Anarchy, always carry their guns in an inside pocket of a leather vest :banana:

I'm no expert on FL statutes but yes if it becomes visible while riding it COULD cause you issues. Will it??? Depends on the officer, and the circumstances. I believe in FL you can only OC during, or traveling to or from fishing or a range or something like that. I always have a full leather jacket on. So if I wanna conceal it, I just keep it in the inner pocket in a small IWB holster. There are lots of holster options. If you need some brands and options I have some listed at http://tinyurl.com/New-to-Guns

I have a G17 and a G27, and the smaller G27 is much more comfortable to conceal. But the holster can make all the difference. Could always wear a shoulder holster over an inner tshirt.

Last edited:

ADulay

Infinisean,

As I'm one of those odd riders who open carries a lot due to my daily fishing and/or shooting excursions, I do find that on those days or times when I'm just on the bike and doing normal chores (my primary vehicle is my bike) I either pocket carry a small caliber gun (.380) or put my normal carry gun in the tank bag. This solves 99% of the problems. As most sport bike guys do have a tank bag, that's perfect.

If you can wear a shirt, just carry the gun OWB and let the shirt cover it up. That solves any remaining problems and conceals your gun perfectly. It is my preferred method when I can't open carry.

Of course, leaving the gun in the tank bag while away from the bike is not a good idea, you could then conceal carry normally until you return to the bike.

Sound like a plan?

AD (open carry advocate and full time practictioner)

infinisean

Motofixxer and ADulay,

Thanks for the input.
That is pretty much what I suspected (if it becomes visible, I am F'd, legally), which is why I have never carried on my bike before. But I would like to.

The "inside a jacket" suggestion is ok, but less than ideal because this is Florida where it gets to be 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit inside leathers during summer and I do not always ride in leathers. (Not ideal, injury-wise, I know... but still)

The "tank bag" is an idea, although still not ideal as it is fairly bulky on a streamlined sport bike... and it would not help much if it was ever needed in a hurry (think bike-jacking scenario) as it would be encased.
Unfortunately, this may be my best option, all things considered.

Is there anyone out there that has been stopped/harassed/arrested/convicted for riding on a motorcycle when the gun (otherwise concealed) became visible, during the course of riding, due to wind?

Or, any lawyers that know of such a case and can offer legal commentary, or potential advice otherwise?

Thanks again

--Sean

Last edited:

ADulay

OK, here's my best plan of attack for the sport biker crowd.

Have you ever heard of the saying; "Dress around the gun"?

As your circumstances have a unique twist due to the nature of sport bike riding, why not just do the OWB carry and wear a cover shirt, untucked?

This allows for the required sport bike shirt back to hike up AND covers the OWB carried gun by closing the bottom button on the shirt.

I've elected to not use the button method and instead just tuck the shirt in front of the OWB gun and it covers completely without having it blow open to reveal the gun. Of course if I'm on my daily fishing/shooting runs, it's all moot anyway as I'll be open carry at that time.

You can run a cheap fishing shirt over any other boutique t-shirt you might be wearing at the time. Heat is not a problem and you're covered no matter where you go.

Works with shorts and flip-flops (traditional sport bike wear) or a shirt and tie with designer slacks (Ducati riders).

On the subject of being stopped BECAUSE of a displayed weapon, well that's a personal matter. If you happened to just accidentally expose the gun in a wind gust, you should be covered by the recently enacted statue on "brief" exposure. Be prepared to explain yourself in a civil manner to the officer on the side of the road and you should drive away in good shape. I have never been stopped for having my shirt blow up and expose the gun. In fact I do see that on the road several times a week. It's not an uncommon event.

I've been stopped a few times for open carry on the bike with no problems other than a few minutes of my time to explain where my fishing equipment was or why the right bag is locked because it's full of guns for the range.

A little common sense goes a long way here. Dress for the gun and you'll have no problems. Trying to hide a small of the back gun on a true sport bike is a losing proposition unless your shirt is fully tucked in. You may have to change gun positions based on being on or off the bike.

The bottom line for me is to "dress around the gun" and you'll be fine.

AD

dayid

Of my 60,000 miles or so that I put on my sportbikes in the past years, probably half or more of that was carrying. I carried IWB on my right hip (same as if I were driving a car or doing anything else). I don't understand what seems to be the problem with carrying "as you normally do" while riding. Yes, I've come to a stop and found that the grip was exposed. The chances of someone else ever noticing that are quite slim, given the depth of my IWB holster, the lack-of-attention most people have, etc.

That said, my primary motorcycle during that time was my '06 636 - but I also wasn't your typical FL squid and actually valued my largest organ.

It's an interesting contrast to me that someone would ride a sportbike w/o gear, but then carry a firearm to protect their life. Risk assessment.

Last edited:

Preacher1311

Another option in the summer would be a vest with a shoulder holster underneath it, or one of the more expensive vests with the holster pocket sewn in. Also 5.11 makes a series of undershirts, overshirts, and vests with the carry pocket for $40-$75 depending on the style. It'd be a whole lot more practical to get one of their vests for while you ride, then just switch to your IWB holster when you reach your destination, then have to constatnly worry that the car behind you at the red light might be a cop.

Rich7553

If you're riding and your shirt whips up to accidently expose your firearm, you are okay.

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

infinisean

If you're riding and your shirt whips up to accidently expose your firearm, you are okay.

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

Thanks, Rich.
This is exactly what I was looking for.
At least now if (when) I get stopped, I can cite the proper FL statute and hopefully that will be enough to satisfy Mr. Officer.

Rich7553

Thanks, Rich.
This is exactly what I was looking for.
At least now if (when) I get stopped, I can cite the proper FL statute and hopefully that will be enough to satisfy Mr. Officer.

My pleasure. Enjoy the ride!

BrotherFrankie

sorry this is my first post and i have not introduced myself.. will get to that asap..

i live in orlando area and ride a cruiser.. most of the folks i ride with have a gun pocket in their leather vest. i know its hot, i know u sport bike guys dont do the leather thingy as much but i manage the heat OK with a foxcreek vest and a tshirt.. (trick is to keep movin)

I am a pastor and just bought my first firearm since 1981.. God it feels good..

be blessed, be safe..
Frankie

Hey guys, I've been reading over some posts here today researching open/concealed carry.
Very informative and I am glad to be a member now.

I am curious about carrying my Glock 17 defense weapon while riding my motorcycle here in Orlando, FL.
The bike is a sport bike, so no saddle bags or any real storage area to speak of.
I do have a concealed carry permit.

My question is how can this be accomplished legally? I assume open carry (a holster attached to the bike somehow) would be out of the question.
What about an IWB holster in the small of my back under my shirt? This is how I usually carry in my car / walking.
What happens when the back of my shirt lifts up from the wind while riding and exposes my weapon even though it is intended to be (and usually is, without the wind) concealed.
Would this be considered open carry and a chargeable offense? (ok, I know anything is chargeable... convictable I suppose).

Thanks for any input you guys may share, especially any lawyers that can chime in with their legal opinion or anecdotal evidence one way or the other.

--Sean