• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Different ideas on self protection

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
One is from the government. The other is from private enterprise. Can you tell which is which?

stay safe.

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2012/07/dhs_video_on_de.php

[h=2]DHS video on dealing with active shooters[/h]Posted by David Hardy · 29 July 2012 08:18 PM
Its style is that of the 1950s, and it gives priority to running away, but at least it acknowledges that you might be forced to fight. Although I'd favor a pistol over trying to conk someone with a folding chair or a fire extinguisher.

versus

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2012/07/a_nice_welcomin.php

gunsarewelcome.jpg

(You can get a bigger size by going to the blog artical and copying from there.)

ALOC1911

This "guns welcome" sign is on the door at a restaurant close to Lighthouse Marina and Capt Anderson's Marina at Panama City Beach.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
That's awesome! A little payment for some private" security".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Why do people persist in calling OCers some sort of "security" force? Oh, yeah - that whole sheepdog sheepdip. If things go pearshaped I'm more likely to be very focused on protecting me and mine than I am going to be on coming to your rescue by leaving a place of protection. If, and a big "If" at that, I could get a clean shot I might consider taking it - as long as I am completely convinced that doing so will not result in creating more danger for me and mine.

If anybody OCs to be the protector of society at large, or of the proprioter of the business where they're currently thinking of spending money, then that person needs to reevaluate their career choices - apply to become a cop or hire out as a security guard.

And if some business operator is expecting me, because I am OCing, to be his security force then he needs to pay me the going rate for that service.

Or did I miss the meeting where it was agreed that saying "I carry for self defense and defense of my family" is really code for "So I can play cop/security guard"?

stay safe.

DeltaOps

Well if crap should ever hit the fan, my main concern will be my family and myself first. Sometimes you have to be careful, in some states, depending on the situation, the state is a observe and report state. Other states simply have it in the laws that you can defend and use lethal force if needed to protect a third party. You really need to know state laws so YOU do not become a victom of the state.

sudden valley gunner

That's awesome! A little payment for some private" security".

Why do people persist in calling OCers some sort of "security" force? Oh, yeah - that whole sheepdog sheepdip. If things go pearshaped I'm more likely to be very focused on protecting me and mine than I am going to be on coming to your rescue by leaving a place of protection. If, and a big "If" at that, I could get a clean shot I might consider taking it - as long as I am completely convinced that doing so will not result in creating more danger for me and mine.

If anybody OCs to be the protector of society at large, or of the proprioter of the business where they're currently thinking of spending money, then that person needs to reevaluate their career choices - apply to become a cop or hire out as a security guard.

And if some business operator is expecting me, because I am OCing, to be his security force then he needs to pay me the going rate for that service.

Or did I miss the meeting where it was agreed that saying "I carry for self defense and defense of my family" is really code for "So I can play cop/security guard"?

stay safe.

Manu didn't expect anything, just liked to show his appreciation for those who are bold enough to publicly exercise their rights. He OC'd himself before even discovery OCDO.

VAopencarry

Being the word security is in quotation marks, it indicates to me it was not meant in a literal sense and certainly not insisting on calling OC'ers a security force. The security would be implied security, as openly armed patrons are likely to deter criminals.

CCinMaine

Being the word security is in quotation marks, it indicates to me it was not meant in a literal sense and certainly not insisting on calling OC'ers a security force. The security would be implied security, as openly armed patrons are likely to deter criminals.

Yeah. I didn't mean it as going cowboy if SHTF. But it is generally agreed (and vastly agreed) here that OC has a deterrence aspect. And if a place of business has a sign or even just a well known policy of giving discounts to OC'ers then said criminal would want to think twice before harassing patrons or business. I'm no idiot. I'm going to get the hell outta dodge if possible. I'm not going to volunteer to put me or mine in harms way or in a legal sticky situation.

nonameisgood

Well, assuming there is only one shooter, in the protection of myself, I'm going to be protecting the others. Dead men don't usually hurt people. And if I fail, he would then be shooting at me instead of them. Win-win for the others.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Really?

Sorry, but I was never trained to run or hide. Whoever pulls this crap in my vicinity will take a fall.

For the average citizen, most of whom aren't training, I think the DHS motto of Run, Hide, and Fight is appropriate.